PDA

View Full Version : Variations...Do you write a RA each time?

JCrakers
09-09-2014, 10:45 AM
I'm just wondering if everyone writes out a RA every time they have a variation. I'm asking because up until now I have been doing a written one but sometimes variations are only for a day here and there so its getting a drag writing a RA everytime. Also I seem to write the same thing on each RA...so repeating myself on every one.

Do they NEED to be written?

Thanks in advance :thumbsup:

loocyloo
09-09-2014, 12:04 PM
I have a copy of the variations form ofsted used to use and fill that in for each and every variation! It's a pain but as usually each variation is something slightly different I like to do it.
I used to have one mindee whose granny used to let dad down at inopportune moments and always the same day ... so I wrote a continutious one for her.

Mouse
09-09-2014, 12:15 PM
I write one for each variation. It's a bit of a pain, but I'd rather cover myself than be picked up on something I miss.

muffins
09-09-2014, 12:23 PM
I've been meaning to make a form up for me to use each time to make it easier but I never seem to get round to it!

miffy
09-09-2014, 08:34 PM
I also write one for each variation and they are all in one folder so if there is ever a query all the info is in one place

Miffy xx

LizP
09-09-2014, 09:19 PM
So I'm guessing a variation is for ratios? Is this the same as continuity of care. So for example, I have three on a Monday and another family wanted a Monday as an extra, could I have 4 as a one off? But do a RA for it?

Thank you
Ps I'm a newbie!

mama2three
10-09-2014, 05:27 AM
Yes , one each time - but they have become very short and to the point now.
This is the latest one -

D is contracted for Thursdays and Fridays , he started at the setting in September 2013.
His Grandma has previously cared for him on Wednesdays but has broken her leg.
During her recuperation Mum has asked if D can attend some Wednesdays when other family members are unavailable to care for him.

I have risk assessed the situation and spoken to other parents and decided that I am able to care for all 4 children safely , without any impact on their level of care.
All equipment is currently in place for 2 babies , as they attend together on Thursdays and Fridays.
I and W are currently in morning nursery , and so all focus will be on the 2 babies between 9 and 12 . In the afternoon both babies nap , allowing adequate time for focus on W and I.

That's it. Mrs O was perfectly happy with it , it doesn't need to be pages long covering exact routines and equipment etc if you don't want it to. This one doesn't cover exact dates either and so is ongoing until Im not needed these occasional Wednesdays.

JCrakers
15-09-2014, 09:03 AM
Thanks all. I have been using Ofsted's form from Pre self variations.

I might simplify it as its too lengthy. mama2three, I might do something like you suggest...simple and to the point.

Thanks

Rubybubbles
15-09-2014, 09:58 AM
Yes each one!

I'm sure Sarah put one in downloads which was really good

sarah707
15-09-2014, 05:50 PM
Yes every change to numbers needs a new RA to show you have thought about how it will impact on your provision and the children.

this might be helpful :D

Changes to Conditions of Registration (http://www.childmindinghelp.co.uk/freeresources/Free%20downloads/changestoconditionsofregistration.html)

TabbyTuTu
16-09-2014, 11:41 AM
I'd not heard of risk assessing the children? Is this only for continuity of care or do I need a RA written with each child I care for in mind?

mama2three
16-09-2014, 11:52 AM
I'd not heard of risk assessing the children? Is this only for continuity of care or do I need a RA written with each child I care for in mind?

these are for continuity of care.

but each child has different needs / stages / behaviours which will impact on your risk assessments. So my RA for outings will mention a specific child who needs to wear reins for example. When he is out of this particular stage I will note this on RA.
Another child has recently had an operation , he cant have any impact injuries in his nappy area - Im aware of this and have noted it on relevant RAs.
Does that help?

TabbyTuTu
16-09-2014, 03:07 PM
Yes, thank you! My RAs currently state suitable restraints where needed?