PDA

View Full Version : DfE: revised Statutory Guidance for LAs (Sept 2014)

Simona
08-09-2014, 02:37 PM
Don't shoot me...I am only the messenger!!

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/early-education-and-childcare--2

Rubybubbles
08-09-2014, 03:27 PM
Can I say a big thank you simona, I've been about the past few weeks and your help and information towards documents has been outstanding support!

Thanks

mama2three
08-09-2014, 03:59 PM
yet more references to rising threes. It makes my blood boil:angry:

loocyloo
08-09-2014, 04:17 PM
I have just skimmed the report and the following jump out at me! I'm not shooting you Simona ( :D ) just can't believe what I'm reading!

A3.13 Not fund childminders registered with a childminder agency where the agency has indicated to the local authority that the childminder is not of satisfactory quality unless it is necessary to do so to ensure sufficiency of accessible places.

rising 3 is deemed to mean children who are turning 3 that term

I'm not impressed that despite having to 'teach' british values, we must not 'teach' Christian values as fact/science. but Britain is a Christian country with the Queen as the head of the church! regardless of anyones views, that is a FACT! I am a Christian, and I never say anything is 'fact'/'true' etc, I always say that 'I believe that ...' but grrrr makes me cross! I understand its because the govt are trying to stop the issues that have occurred in some cities, but they are going to just drive it all underground!

Local authorities have the power to:
D.3 Provide information, advice and training for all early years and childcare providers (including employees and prospective providers). If local authorities decide they wish to provide information, advice and training in these circumstances then they should only do so if requested by the provider. ( ?????? what? )

Tazmin68
08-09-2014, 04:20 PM
Am I right r wring. I've just looked through it and it looks like it is now over the minimum of three days for the 15 hours yet it changed last year that we could do it over two days. Is it just me that has noticed this.

Kiddleywinks
08-09-2014, 04:22 PM
Is it just me that has noticed this.

Probably at the minute lol, I've just finished so will be grabbing several coffees before sitting down and having a read - well done you for getting to look through it :clapping:

Mouse
08-09-2014, 04:40 PM
Can I say a big thank you simona, I've been about the past few weeks and your help and information towards documents has been outstanding support!

Thanks

Yes, thank you Simona. I get the updates from you a couple of days before I get the Ofsted email with them in!

Mouse
08-09-2014, 04:41 PM
Right...I've got a coffee and a bar of chocolate...I'm going in!

I may be gone a while...

Mouse
08-09-2014, 05:12 PM
I'm not impressed that despite having to 'teach' british values, we must not 'teach' Christian values as fact/science. but Britain is a Christian country with the Queen as the head of the church! regardless of anyones views, that is a FACT! I am a Christian, and I never say anything is 'fact'/'true' etc, I always say that 'I believe that ...' but grrrr makes me cross! I understand its because the govt are trying to stop the issues that have occurred in some cities, but they are going to just drive it all underground!

Personally I don't see a problem with that. I don't think any religion can be taught as fact and I would have been very annoyed if my own children had been taught that Christianity was fact, when it isn't...in my view. I have no issue at all with religion being taught in school as a belief, but I don't think it's a school's place to teach it as fact. That should be done by the family or their specific church.

What I did like reading was "Providers who wish to celebrate religious and cultural
festivals, for example putting on a nativity play, a harvest festival or a celebration of Eid,
can still do so".
How many times have we heard that schools are stopping doing nativity plays etc? At least now we have it in writing that they can still be done :thumbsup:

Mouse
08-09-2014, 05:31 PM
Am I right r wring. I've just looked through it and it looks like it is now over the minimum of three days for the 15 hours yet it changed last year that we could do it over two days. Is it just me that has noticed this.

If you mean:

As a minimum, ensure that parents are able to access their child’s early education
place in the following patterns:
 5 hours per day over 3 days of the week
 3 hours per day over 5 days of the week

I don't see it as saying it has to be over a minimum of 3 days. I read it as meaning the least flexible option needs to be as above, but LAs should encourage providers to be flexible and offer what the parents need to fit in with their work etc.

loocyloo
08-09-2014, 05:31 PM
Personally I don't see a problem with that. I don't think any religion can be taught as fact and I would have been very annoyed if my own children had been taught that Christianity was fact, when it isn't...in my view. I have no issue at all with religion being taught in school as a belief, but I don't think it's a school's place to teach it as fact. That should be done by the family or their specific church.

What I did like reading was "Providers who wish to celebrate religious and cultural
festivals, for example putting on a nativity play, a harvest festival or a celebration of Eid,
can still do so".
How many times have we heard that schools are stopping doing nativity plays etc? At least now we have it in writing that they can still be done :thumbsup:

I don't have a problem with it per se and don't think religion should be taught as a fact . I would only teach it as a belief...But it is a fact that the Queen is the head of the Church of England. And if we are to teach British values ... Then that comes into it.

I love that there is nothing to stop anyone having a harvest festival, nativity play or Eid etc.