PDA

View Full Version : Wilshaw to answer questions on Mumsnet tomorrow (9 Sept)

Simona
08-09-2014, 02:28 PM
Cms can have a go too...good luck!

Join us tomorrow for a web chat with Ofsted's Chief Inspector of Education Sir Michael Wilshaw – 11.30-12.30, Tuesday 9 September 2014 | Mumsnet Discussion (http://www.mumsnet.com/Talk/mumsnet_live_events/2179024-Join-us-tomorrow-for-a-web-chat-with-Ofsteds-Chief-Inspector-of-Education-Sir-Michael-Wilshaw-11-30-12-30-Tuesday-9-September-2014)

Simona
09-09-2014, 01:08 PM
I do not go on Mumsnet anymore but I picked up a couple of tweets this morning so I took a peep during the Wilshaw/parents debate...oh boy!!

Most answers were to parents ...Wilshaw just gave one reply to cms who asked about his comments recently
This is what he said
''Good morning,

It's nice to be here in Kentish Town this morning with Mumsnet.
I can see there are a lot of questions and comments about childminders. I know that many childminders do a good or outstanding job. But the problem is that there aren't enough skilled childminders in poorer areas.
The answer, which I identified in the Ofsted early years annual report in April, is school-based nurseries - they can help poorer children be ready to learn when they begin primary school.

Sir Michael''

A bit wishy washy but I see now what he meant in his Evening Standard comment.
it would have been good to get a second reply ...he was being asked to apologise and ...personally I don't think he was going to do so on Mumsnet or anywhere else for that matter....so we had no chance of engaging him

What he said is exactly what Nick Hudson and the new minister have said recently...sad his engagement seemed to evaporate when some of the CMs questions became a bit 'loud'

Ripeberry
09-09-2014, 01:23 PM
He hardly answered anyone at all! Waste of time!

Simona
09-09-2014, 01:51 PM
He hardly answered anyone at all! Waste of time!

He reaffirmed his position as 'tough guy' and very 'opinionated' but I found some of the comments that he is the 'best' since sliced bread hard to digest! :mad:

Kiddleywinks
09-09-2014, 04:21 PM
Just popped onto the netmums thread and he responded to childminders at 4.15 with this:

Hello,

Thanks for the feedback on what was an engaging session.

I said there was evidence that children from disadvantaged backgrounds do better in school-based nurseries than anywhere else.

To support this, I’d point you towards the Ofsted Early Years Annual Report which we published in April – specifically pages 22 and 23. The document is online at www.ofsted.gov.uk/sites/default/files/documents/annual-reports/o/Ofsted%20Early%20Years%20Annual%20Report%20201213. pdf

This highlights research which finds that children from poorer families make the best progress when they attend the highest quality settings. And the only form of early education provision that is at least strong, or even stronger, in deprived areas compared with wealthier areas is nursery schools.

Also, research shows that children from poorer families make the best progress when they have highly qualified staff and, particularly, when they are supported by trained teachers.

They key point is that more poorer children must have high quality early education so that they can be ready to learn when they start school. That’s how to improve social mobility.

I hope that’s helpful.

Sir Michael

I personally take offence to the line highlighted above

Simona
09-09-2014, 04:42 PM
It is obvious that Wilshaw returned after the session was over to add the comment you posted for us judging from the comments....well after all he only addressed one question from cms which was a bit unfair.

Thanks for sharing