PDA

View Full Version : not participating in celebrations

Kidston
07-09-2014, 12:49 PM
I have a child starting with me soon and the parents have requested that she doesnt do anything about other religions. The child is only 8months old but they have said when shes old enough to understand they are ok with her learning about other religions as look as she is not celebrating it.
I have no issue with this and are more then happy to follow their wishes but from ofsteds point of view do I need this in writing from the parents?

mrsb79
07-09-2014, 12:56 PM
Personally I would get it in writing and also inform parents that on days when you are making cards for Christmas / Easter they have the option of sourcing other care on those days. If they still wish for the child to attend on those days that if the child wishes to join in you will not exclude them from the activity. I worked in a schools few years ago and we had a set of parents who didn't want their child to join in and they were given the option of not sending their child in in those days, they still did and the child did join in but did not take her cards / art work or baking home with her. X

Sent from my iPhone using Childminding Forum

Kiddleywinks
07-09-2014, 01:16 PM
Whilst I kind of understand where parents are coming from, I would question how the child is going to learn about other religions to make their own decision if they are refusing to allow any form of participation in any festivals/celebrations.

At 8 months they're not going understand what they're doing, and as they get older it can be presented in a way that is inclusive without ramming religion at them iygwim
There are enough stories about different cultures/beliefs to be presented in a 'fairy story' kind of way

I agree with Mrsb79, that if they didn't want their child to participate on planned activity days then they would need to find alternative care - but I'd also point out that some activities can take days or weeks to complete ;)

With regards to Ofsted - I'm not sure they would view it in a positive light, letter or not - parents wishes don't count if it conflicts with the EYFS :angry:

Kidston
07-09-2014, 01:40 PM
The parents have explained to me they dont have an issue with the child learning about other religions but not until she is old enough to understand. But I also see their point and agree there is a difference between learning about other religions and celebrating them. Celebrating them goes against their religous beliefs so if I did do that I wouldnt be taking into account the childs and the family's individual needs

gwm
07-09-2014, 03:20 PM
That has put you into a very difficult situation, hasn't it? Would these parents be better with an Au Pair? At the end of the month when it is Diwali...we will do stories and activities and food and music linked to this festival. I don't consider that either the children or myself are actually 'celebrating' Diwali....That is for the true believers of that religion/culture. I am helping the children be aware that there are other cultures out there other than our own. It makes life interesting for all of us and helps us to learn a little about our neighbours lives. Are they going to put their daughter in a bubble as she grows up? How are they going to deal with religious education and sex education at school? Withdrawing her isn't going to help....the other children will probably be discussing whatever they learned. I don't know....I find that one difficult.

mama2three
07-09-2014, 08:13 PM
We learn about all sort of religious festivals without celebrating them ourselves.
Its all about the language used to teach and investigate the topic - we aren't celebrating them ourselves but we learn that some children do celebrate in this way , and we have fun finding out - throwing powder paint at holi was great fun , but we weren't celebrating it!
The only thing that is being celebrated is our wonderful and diverse society!

Mouse
07-09-2014, 08:39 PM
How many religious festivals do you actually look at during the year?

Simona
07-09-2014, 09:08 PM
I have a child starting with me soon and the parents have requested that she doesnt do anything about other religions. The child is only 8months old but they have said when shes old enough to understand they are ok with her learning about other religions as look as she is not celebrating it.
I have no issue with this and are more then happy to follow their wishes but from ofsteds point of view do I need this in writing from the parents?

I am intrigued by what these parents are asking and have come across it before but it is still a mystery

I personally have learnt about various religions but I do not celebrate them all while respecting their ways
I understand that some religions fast...some don't eat fish on Friday... some go to mass each Sunday...some celebrate Saturdays as their holy day...some forbid alcohol while others drink it during mass ...!!!
Hurray for diversity!!

Ofsted have to abide to parental wishes and as long as you treat children with equal concern there is no problem...:thumbsup:

gwm
07-09-2014, 11:13 PM
How many religious festivals do you actually look at during the year?

We look at the culture around several religious festivals around the time they are being celebrated- Diwali, Christmas, Chinese New Year, St Patrick's Day, Easter, Eid, Hannukah. But every evening depending on what is on the menu for dinner, I play a cd of the music of that country. The children enjoy it and the parents always positively comment on whatever music is playing. If dinner isn't from a specific country, we could have Gregorian chant or rock 'n roll or whatever takes our fancy.

sing-low
08-09-2014, 08:24 AM
Interestingly, the early learning goal UW: people and communities does not mention religion. People and communities talks about being aware of similarities and differences among families, communities and traditions. Now of course religion is part of this but I wonder if we learn about/celebrate religious festivals as a way of understanding the world because it's easier for us from an organisational point of view. Kidston, I would definitely get parents views in writing and perhaps go into greater detail with them about what would or wouldn't be acceptable in terms of the festivals that you learn about. Is it going to be practical for parents to remove their child for every festival? And I think you need to be clear with them that you will give hem the choice and specify how many days a year this might be.

Kidston
08-09-2014, 08:10 PM
thank you for all your replies.

I will ask the parents to put it in writing to me.

Simona
09-09-2014, 08:25 AM
How many CMs in this forum would join me in betting that the DfE will soon look at EYFS and add something in relation to this topic?

Looks like all Oftsed updates and DfE guidance...which have been published recently.... have been altered to adjust to recent events

The EYFS seems the only document that has escaped that....how long will it last?...my view again :thumbsup: