PDA

View Full Version : After schoolers

alex__17
05-09-2014, 08:42 PM
Been minding since march, had just one after schooler to start, now from sept I have 2 some days and 3 others, plus 2 eyfs children (1 is my own 2 year old son).

First day back yesterday for school and it was a 3 kid pickup, listened well and walked home really well, at home it was like 3 whirlwinds had been released! Very loud and overexcited and racing everywhere, emptying toys, playing for about 10 seconds before moving onto the next thing, shouting at top volume, my poor son and little eyfs girl were in shock!

I know its most likely the excitement of a new place etc, the original girl was a bit like this when she first started and doesn't have a respect that this is my home, whereas the other 2 seem to, and she was showing off a bit I guess cos she'd been here before but I feel we had our crazy day and rules need to be enforced now as I'm not going to be walked all over and let this chaos continue as it wouldn't be fair on the little ones.

Any advice on what to do?! Some calmness was restored when we collected hazelnuts in the garden and they wanted to wash them all and sort through them and that quietened them down and kept them busy, until my longer term one tipped the bowl of water over the others for a joke and that was the end of that!

I've got a load of crafty bits and planned to have an activity ready for them to quiet things down a bit before tea, but what do others do with after schoolers? They need to let off steam, but were so overexcited climbing in the little ride ons and all piling ontop not caring they're too big for them, let alone for 3 kids to go on.

Any outdoor activity ideas for older ones and general after schooler advice?! They're all 6 going on 7, I was going to do my house rules jigsaw puzzle I've made as I hope that will help them realise they can't run riot!

natlou82
06-09-2014, 06:37 AM
Hiya :-) I do a visual timetable, it is on my wall. I have some children TTO and a couple of new starters. When they were sat down eating snack I've gone through the visual timetable with all of them and the house rules. I plan an activity each night and they do have free play I just like some order in the chaos and it seems to work well :-) good luck for next week x

alex__17
06-09-2014, 06:40 PM
Brilliant thanks, do you find free play first or activity first works best?
Hadnt thought about visual timetable but will def do one as we straight away wash hands and sit down for snack when back.
Sure it'll be fine, but like you I need some order in the chaos!!

loocyloo
06-09-2014, 08:13 PM
We generally walk home from school ... during which time I mention any activity I've thought of or maybe planned for afterschool, or they might suggest one ... Then at home it's free play and activities if they wish.
Then tea and tidy up time! Followed by reading books/games or dvd (currently scooby doo or wacky races!)
Although at the moment one schoolie just wants to read and the others just want to play with LOs!

natlou82
07-09-2014, 07:21 AM
I do the activity first, sometimes I will go to the park on the way home from school, to let them let off steam, on these days I don't do an activity just snack and free play. I don't make them do the activity if they don't want to, but I do follow their interests so usually most of them do join in :-)