PDA

View Full Version : What activities for after school-different age groups

mum67
05-09-2014, 05:03 PM
Sorry I know after school activities has been covered somewhere before but just can't find for looking.

I have four after school children aged 8,7 and 2x4yr old (EY are full time reception children now). What should I do with them? they like to play out but I only let them in my garden, which is big enough so I can keep my eye on them. I want to make the most of the time I have with them rather than just watch t.v or play out. Today we went to the park after school and the two EY children were talking about Autumn and Winter (apparently we are in Winter now because there is leaves), so I used the discussion to correct them about the leaves and Autumn but in a clever not destructive way, they talked more then about what the leaves would look like in Winter and how they might know the difference which pleased me because I felt I'd taught them something and kept the interest going for them at the same time.

So this made me think and I suggested next week we might (if they want to) collect some leaves up from the park and come home and press them, laminate them on card and make calendars ready for the new year. They seemed really excited by this idea and are looking forward to it.
I still feel weak on my obs, ass, tracking, planning and next steps but that's because I haven't actually been able to do it yet with no mindees, so I am hoping I am on the right tracks.

So have I done right here initiated the activity for next week, then I will let them lead with what they pick and whether they want to make calendars or do other activity with it, then next step continue the season/weather theme by maybe making weather vanes and doing a weather chart.

Any advice will be very welcome.

Maza
05-09-2014, 05:55 PM
That sounds lovely! My daughter would love that. There are loads of Autumn books, fiction and non-fiction that you could get from your library. My favourite is 'Ferdie and the Falling Leaves'. They could also sort the leaves (Maths and Science) and see if they can learn the names of some of the trees. If you just google leaf activities for kids you will see loads of ideas. Mine all love doing shaving foam prints - a tray of shaving foam with some food colouring (Autumn colours) swirled through, then dip pre-cut leaf shapes in he foam and scrape off excess foam and you have a lovely design on your leaf! Baking obviously goes down well. We are making los of crumbles a the moment - the easiest one is banana and blueberry crumble as they can totally prepare the fruit themselves and it's not too messy. I buy a crumble mix if I am not up for making my own - I get it from Sainsbury's for about 60p. Playing in he garden is great, we need to make the most of this weather! You could also ask the children what they would like to do/learn whilst with you - you might be surprised with what they come up with! he older ones might also like cheap traditional games such as dominoes or cards. x

mum67
05-09-2014, 06:10 PM
Thanks for that Maza, yes the older ones do want to do things as well. It's only 2 hours after school but we could do so much and I don't think it's fair to just leave them playing on their own or watching tv-BORING-

I love your shaving foam idea I've never heard of doing that one before, I have heard of shaving foam for messy play but not interacting like that.

Am I on the right lines of obs and planning though? I know I don't have to follow it because they are full time at school but I want to get as much practice as possible. Due my 1st inspection really soon and this is what I worry about as only now getting into minding full time now September has come and I have house and everything else in order since leaving my other job in June.

I so want a GOOD from inspection more for myself than anything else I will be so disappointed in myself if I get less.

:thank you: again Maza

natlou82
06-09-2014, 07:15 AM
We've made our own pizzas before, we've made out own bases and I've bought pre made bases as well (depends on time and how long you think you can hold their interest) I ask them what topping they want and they can decorate in their own way. Decorating cupcakes and they can have them for pudding, make their own placemats that they can use for mealtimes / snacktime, board games, den building. I really like your autumn idea :-). I would say don't stress too much on the older ones as the inspector will be more focused on your EYFS children (are the 4 yr olds EYFS or rising 5s. My older ones just love to make their own fun in the garden they've got fab imaginations! But I always like to have things planned :-)

Maza
06-09-2014, 10:42 AM
Yes, you are doing it right. You observed what the children were doing/interested in and planned a future activity to extend their knowledge/skills. You could find out what topics the older ones are doing at school and maybe plan some fun activities linked to their topics. As he school year gets underway the older ones may 'want' to spend some time doing their homework too. Realistically you will be limited on the amount of support you can give them, so be careful what you promise parents, but you may want to support them by ensuring that they have a quieter area that they can go to where they can still be supervised. They will probably enjoy free painting too. Just don't fall into the trap of spending lots of money on 'one off' activities for them. In the garden mine love making bird feeders (big bag of birdseed form the £ shop, some cheep peanut butter and sticks from our walks. We hang them in trees and try to remember what the birds look like and then try to identify them in our bird book from the library. Our next project is to make a wormery, hopefully it will be nice and cheep. The older ones will probably love being involved in planning special days - making birthday banners or Christmas decorations. x

mum67
06-09-2014, 03:04 PM
Great ideas there thanks both of you.

Love the cheap but interesting bird feeds Maza.

Don't think we would have time to make pizza or even cakes as my oven is very temperamental, cooks right one minute and takes forever the next so not even going there yet until get new oven:laughing:but will keep it for later dates, thanks Natlou82.

My 4 year old's are rising 5's they have just gone into reception and are 5 in October. I am going to speak to the teacher this week to see if they are doing something on the weather or seasons at the minute because I am wondering if that's what got them talking about it in the first place.

I sat with the older ones and we have put ideas down and will work from that and make plans with it. I know we don't have to and Ofsted don't take note basically about over 5's which is wrong in my opinion because once their 5 doesn't mean they are ready for school and at the right dm for their age and this is where a lot fall through the gap and only get noticed when sats or Ofsted are due, which by then it is harder to work with them and get the interest in learning back into them and I feel strongly that should be addressed by Ofsted and all the other educational professionals who's guides we have to work under. But I am paid to mind them and I want them to enjoy that time with me and remember it fondly and not just "Oh she was my childminder after school when mum and dad were at work"

Maza I am so glad I am on the right lines here it was really stressing me out to think I may be heading on the wrong lines with it. I have got lots from here and Sarah 707 to help but you still need the reassurance from others don't you?

Thank you both very much for your replies I will use them in my planning for the future. :thumbsup:

natlou82
06-09-2014, 06:08 PM
No problem I feel the same about the over 5s I want them to really enjoy their time here too :-)