PDA

View Full Version : 19month opd not speaking

greanan
04-09-2014, 06:09 PM
A the title says really - I've a 19 month old who doesn't speak atal. He's never said any words either and even when younger never made any noises the way most babies do as if they're chatting. Mum works in a nursery and doesn't seem concerned. Has any one else experienced this?? Doesn't communicate atal - doesn't shake or nod head etc

moggy
04-09-2014, 06:19 PM
I'd be looking at getting hearing tested and recommending a Speech and Language Therapy assessment. Using EYO/DM you can clearly show the child is not meeting development milestones- there are additional sheets going into more details- I do not have a link or the digital file but they say 'National Strategies, Early Communication and Speech' at the top and are very useful for detailed milestones for Speech.

greanan
04-09-2014, 06:47 PM
I'd be looking at getting hearing tested and recommending a Speech and Language Therapy assessment. Using EYO/DM you can clearly show the child is not meeting development milestones- there are additional sheets going into more details- I do not have a link or the digital file but they say 'National Strategies, Early Communication and Speech' at the top and are very useful for detailed milestones for Speech.

I'll have a wee look, thank you! Don't have any experience of this

moggy
04-09-2014, 06:51 PM
I'll have a wee look, thank you! Don't have any experience of this

You could also phone your local SLT team (ours is based at local hospital) and just ask them for some sheets you can refer to for Early Speech Milestones. You do not need to give details of the child. Check if they have an informal 'drop-in SLT' session, we have in this area and if parents agrees you could even offer to take LO if parent can't make it.

hectors house
04-09-2014, 07:57 PM
Look at Every Child a Talker http://www.foundationyears.org.uk/wp-content/uploads/2011/10/ECAT_child_monitoring_tool1.pdf

If you look at the 2nd page (below) - child should have moved on from babble to starting real sounds & words. (or it sounds like from your post as if he doesn't babble or make any noises). Does he seem to hear you or other noises like door bell or telephone or biscuit tin being opened?

8-20 months
Speech consists of a combination of ‘jargon’ and some real
words and may be difficult to understand.
16-26 months
Many immature speech patterns, so speech may not be
clear.
May leave out last sounds or substitute sounds (e.g. ‘tap

loocyloo
04-09-2014, 08:08 PM
i had 2 mindees, one was just 2 yrs when started with me, and barely said a word, but by 2 yr 4 mths he was chattering away. the other was the same, and didn't speak until he was about 2 1/4! i tried all sorts, so did respective mums/parents and at that time, we didn't have Speech/language drop ins ... so were on waiting lists.

'we' played games and did lots of singing ( well i did! ), giving lots of opportunity for language to develop and one day, within a week of each other they both started talking ... pretty much full sentances and lots of vocab!

moggy
04-09-2014, 08:12 PM
Look at Every Child a Talker http://www.foundationyears.org.uk/wp-content/uploads/2011/10/ECAT_child_monitoring_tool1.pdf

If you look at the 2nd page (below) - child should have moved on from babble to starting real sounds & words. (or it sounds like from your post as if he doesn't babble or make any noises). Does he seem to hear you or other noises like door bell or telephone or biscuit tin being opened?

8-20 months
Speech consists of a combination of ‘jargon’ and some real
words and may be difficult to understand.
16-26 months
Many immature speech patterns, so speech may not be
clear.
May leave out last sounds or substitute sounds (e.g. ‘tap

That's the link to the doc I have- thanks for that!
I'd be sitting with parents with this in front of us going through line by line, the red 'checkpoints' are useful - are parents in denial or not realising there is a delay? Maybe the 2nd page will reassure them that it not necessarily a sign of delay but alerts that close monitoring would be a good idea.

0-11 months:
Gradually develops speech sounds (babbling) to
communicate with adults; says sounds like ‘baba,
nono, gogo’. (by 11 months )

8-20 months:
Uses single words. (by 16 months )
Frequently imitates words and sounds.
Enjoys babbling and increasingly experiments
with using sounds and words to communicate for
a range of purposes (e.g. teddy, more, no, byebye)

moggy
04-09-2014, 08:15 PM
i had 2 mindees, one was just 2 yrs when started with me, and barely said a word, but by 2 yr 4 mths he was chattering away. the other was the same, and didn't speak until he was about 2 1/4! i tried all sorts, so did respective mums/parents and at that time, we didn't have Speech/language drop ins ... so were on waiting lists.

'we' played games and did lots of singing ( well i did! ), giving lots of opportunity for language to develop and one day, within a week of each other they both started talking ... pretty much full sentances and lots of vocab!

It is the lack of babbling though that I'd be a bit concerned about. Did your mindee babble at all? Or can they really go from no tuneful sounds straight to speech? I had a late talker here but she did babble tuneful sounds 'googoo, dadada' etc. Interesting to hear more experiences.

greanan
04-09-2014, 08:38 PM
It is the lack of babbling though that I'd be a bit concerned about. Did your mindee babble at all? Or can they really go from no tuneful sounds straight to speech? I had a late talker here but she did babble tuneful sounds 'googoo, dadada' etc. Interesting to hear more experiences.

No he's never babbled Or made any attempts at speaking. The only noise he'll make is a moany noise if he's told no etc

loocyloo
04-09-2014, 08:41 PM

One made a bit of babbling, the other nothing! At least nothing mum or I heard.

shortstuff
05-09-2014, 05:52 AM

I have also had a little one here who makes no noise at all. The trouble was the parents would do absolutely everything for them with just a point of a finger or grunt. No matter what i said or showed them they weren't worried because the HV told them it was fine. They left my setting when LO was 27 months with absolutely no improvement.

hectors house
05-09-2014, 06:40 AM
No he's never babbled Or made any attempts at speaking. The only noise he'll make is a moany noise if he's told no etc

I would be worried if he doesn't babble or blow raspberries etc, could you try to do your own hearing tests and video it as evidence for parents, say it is something you have been doing with all children and you have noticed that child only seems to hear shrill noises eg: door bell, fire alarm and doesn't hear softer noises like voices, etc.

Could you use a mirror with the child and model how to move mouth to make mmmm, dddddd noises in the mirror with him?