PDA

View Full Version : Medication

button68
07-01-2008, 04:40 PM
Just a little guidance please ladies.

Just sorting Medication Policy and Medication Permission Form.

Am I right in thinking the only medicines that can be given are ones that are prescribed my the childs GP and Calpol?

In both cases I need the Medication Permission form signing when the child joins my setting and then each time I actually have to administer Medication the parent has to sign my 'Medicine Book' as they collect the child?

oakie dokie
07-01-2008, 05:12 PM
yes i your right.

hazelx

sarah707
07-01-2008, 06:27 PM
I think the EYFS might be different... but not sure how to read it tbh... waiting for guidance on this bit.

'Medicines should only be taken to a setting when this is essential and settings should only accept medicines that have been prescribed by a doctor, dentist, nurse or pharmacist.'

This seems to rule out Calpol, teething gels etc to me. We talked about it on the old forum... here's the link I got this quote from -

http://www.standards.dcsf.gov.uk/eyfs/site/requirements/welfare/safeguarding/2.htm

Not sure this helps :laughing:

Trouble
07-01-2008, 07:28 PM
you also use this book for inhalers and epipens, i typed a separate sicknote policy also for epipen

louise
07-01-2008, 08:15 PM
Hi, I really think they need to rephrase this bit
prescribed by a doctor, dentist, nurse or pharmacist.
A pharmacist as such doesnt prescribe they either dispense the medication or they recommend something such as calpol. So could you include calpol? thing is it wouldnt have a dispensing label on. Also another thought you can get calpol on a script would they then allow this? even if it was dispensed awhile ago? Umm too many questions
Lou

sarah707
07-01-2008, 08:56 PM
I agree Louise... too many questions! They are revising some parts of EYFS later this month (or next!) so I'm waiting to see what that says...:rolleyes: