PDA

View Full Version : My First Afterschooler

Maxine73
03-09-2014, 07:07 PM
hi,
could anyone advise what we are expected to do with after schoolers, or what you do. I just feel there wont be enough time to fit any activities in for my new after schooler, what with making dinner, feeding and doing nappies then writing up daily diaries. She is 8. I have 2 girls myself who are 8 and 10 so she can play with them, but should I be doing stuff with her?
Thanks

mum67
03-09-2014, 08:42 PM
Just let her have free play but have resources that interest her or if she needs a little help with homework try and support with that as best you can. Basically she has done her learning at school and wants to chill or play and most parents just want that for them. EYFS says you should work in partnership with others so speak to her teacher to see if there's anything to concentrate on that may concern them or might help support her learning.
If she wants you to do something I would try and support this as best you can without endangering your care for others.
She will most probably be happy with the other girls to be honest.

gwm
03-09-2014, 09:42 PM
She's had a full day of learning at school. Let her play and have fun. I let the older children sit in the kitchen( whilst I am getting dinner) if they want to get their homework done...peace and quiet from the younger ones. They are also close by if they need help. Other times they just want to be running and chasing and jumping in the garden or wrecking the playroom. Sometimes they ask for specific activities such as drawing. Show her where everything is. Reassure her to ask if she wants to do something specific. But, to be honest, once she gets to know your girls they will create their own entertainment.