PDA

View Full Version : Local Auothority

specks4
03-09-2014, 04:58 PM
Hi all I live in cheshunt hertfordshire and apart from my local childrens centre which at present isn't very good who can I contact about childminding eg courses, funding, information as apart from looking myself I've had no information about the new eyfs changes or anything else.
Thank you

Rick
03-09-2014, 05:22 PM
Hi all I live in cheshunt hertfordshire and apart from my local childrens centre which at present isn't very good who can I contact about childminding eg courses, funding, information as apart from looking myself I've had no information about the new eyfs changes or anything else.
Thank you

I'm not sure about the first bit but if you need more info on the changes have a look at this link

Changes to Legislation for Childminders (http://us1.campaign-archive2.com/?u=5d5a4d59a4b1a99e3c8f75f00&id=d3591dcd2d&e=1609771066)

specks4
03-09-2014, 05:32 PM
Thank you Rick. I've got myself the new changes as found them myself, was more worried that I haven't got anyone to ask questions to. I know a lot of you talk about you LA but I don't know what my LA do for childminders or who even to contact to ask.

FloraDora
03-09-2014, 05:38 PM
I have just googled 'hertfordshire early years' and got directed to the grid? Seems lots of info on there that is up to date.
If your LEA is anything like mine the expectation is for you to keep abreast of info and updates as part of your own Professional development. This website and childcare.co.uk is brilliant, there are members on here that are very generous at sharing their knowledge. I get updates from Ofsted by signing up for any EY info. There are lots of other websites that keep you up to date too - other county's websites have huge amount of advice and info - northamptonshire, Bromley, Somerset are just 3 I have looked at. The childcare.co.uk offer brilliant courses for free if you are a member and I have completed several module type PD on the Open University open learn website.
I have taken out subscriptions to EY publications which are really good at keeping me up to date and good ideas.
If we are going to stay independent the onus is really on us to find this info that is easily available and keep up to date ourselves - the big wide web is a brilliant facilitator of this!

specks4
03-09-2014, 05:41 PM
Totally agree floradora just would like to know if they offer funding and all that.

FloraDora
03-09-2014, 05:45 PM
All LEA's should offer 2 , 3&4 funding - just ring them and you will get put to correct dept - in my authority as I hadn't been ofsted graded the DO came out to chat ( I presume just to make sure I was Ok ) then the finance dept deals with funding money details.

specks4
03-09-2014, 06:01 PM
Ok great thank you. Will ring them tomorrow.

mum67
03-09-2014, 09:02 PM
Agree totally with Floradora, everything you need to know is on here and the web. I also get Ofsted updates sent by email to keep up, but the forum members especially Simona are always putting updates with links on for us.
I personally have no faith in LA's from my own experience yet others swear by them, must depend on your DO. We work together on here and after a while you get to know so much you can advise others and yet still ask for help when needed.
Do you know any childminders near you to ask for advice from, if not ring one and just explain what information you want and ask if its ok to speak or get them to ring you back later.

Chatterbox Childcare
04-09-2014, 06:54 AM
LA's get early years funding from the government but what they do with it is up to them. Childminders are always posting about lack of support by your council so they must be spending it elsewhere. There is no requirements as far as I know about supporting childminders or subsidising or putting on training but I am surprised by their actions as Ofsted look at grades in each area and ask questions.

there is always lots of support both on here and the facebook pages and as others have said Ofsted themselves. Why not subscribe to some of the Ofsted posts where they will email you with changes?

Simona
04-09-2014, 07:50 AM
LA's get early years funding from the government but what they do with it is up to them. Childminders are always posting about lack of support by your council so they must be spending it elsewhere. There is no requirements as far as I know about supporting childminders or subsidising or putting on training but I am surprised by their actions as Ofsted look at grades in each area and ask questions.

there is always lots of support both on here and the facebook pages and as others have said Ofsted themselves. Why not subscribe to some of the Ofsted posts where they will email you with changes?

When the funding was ringfenced LAs spent it where they liked...now the ringfencing has gone they moan they have no money from central govt

Some cms have had no support for a while Chatterbox...in my LA a lot of the money was lavishly spent on a few in the network and this was so in many LAs
Cms in a network could draw funding excluding all others ...now LAs are desperate for all cms to come forward

LAs are duty bound to support RI/Inadequate providers including cms...that's in the legislation
I agree that there is support here and FB for those who access FB but I think it has to be also face-to-face, meetings etc not just online ... otherwise our CPD would be just being in a forum?

bunyip
04-09-2014, 10:29 AM
The situation is not going to prove whilst LAs are having to pick up the tab for subsidising central government dictats which are solely there as vote-winners for the ConDemNation regime. :mad:

Typically, LAs are facing shortfalls of around £25millions to put in place contracts and infrastructure for the free school meals scheme. All to give free meals to families who can already afford them.

Bear in mind this is merely the latest (not the first) time the regime has plundered the LAs' coffers to fund their own political aspirations.

shortstuff
04-09-2014, 10:48 AM
When the funding was ringfenced LAs spent it where they liked...now the ringfencing has gone they moan they have no money from central govt

Some cms have had no support for a while Chatterbox...in my LA a lot of the money was lavishly spent on a few in the network and this was so in many LAs
Cms in a network could draw funding excluding all others ...now LAs are desperate for all cms to come forward

LAs are duty bound to support RI/Inadequate providers including cms...that's in the legislation
I agree that there is support here and FB for those who access FB but I think it has to be also face-to-face, meetings etc not just online ... otherwise our CPD would be just being in a forum?

I for 1 recvd a satisfactory grade, as told by the inspector within 2 minutes of stepping into my setting. So should be receiving support?

Well I went to some training last night about the changes that came in on Monday. It should have been hosted by the other CMs in the room as they were more knowledgeable. When asking the host questions they were reluctant to commit to answering and also said UM an awful lot. I felt even more in the dark than before the said training. There was a slide show for them to follow and it was also painfully obvious that last night was the 1st time it had been viewed by all in the room as well as the host as they had no clue!

So if that is how my LA support is then I am so flippin relieved to be on this forum.

Simona
04-09-2014, 11:36 AM
I for 1 recvd a satisfactory grade, as told by the inspector within 2 minutes of stepping into my setting. So should be receiving support?

Well I went to some training last night about the changes that came in on Monday. It should have been hosted by the other CMs in the room as they were more knowledgeable. When asking the host questions they were reluctant to commit to answering and also said UM an awful lot. I felt even more in the dark than before the said training. There was a slide show for them to follow and it was also painfully obvious that last night was the 1st time it had been viewed by all in the room as well as the host as they had no clue!

So if that is how my LA support is then I am so flippin relieved to be on this forum.

I think we are doing a better job than some LAs

I have just received an email from mine...I think we must be reading different guidance and legislation than the ones they seem to be reading?
Not sure where they get their ideas from....but I am too cross now to respond

I will put it on my CPD that my LA differs from what govt says and make sure the inspector sees that if she was to question where I get support from

Chatterbox Childcare
04-09-2014, 02:22 PM

It is only the funding that is ringfenced. The actual budget for early years is not and this is where I think we are seeing differences. I was trying to point the thread starter in a good direction and explain why the money is not there anymore

specks4
04-09-2014, 04:17 PM
Thank you all for your replies, I agree the support on here, Facebook and other online resources is great and be lost without it but as someone mention it would be nice to have face to face support if we need it. I've taken a lot from your posts so thank you. I've contacted my council and they have forwarded my email to relevent department so will see what happens.