PDA

View Full Version : Gas Safety check

Snowwhite
02-09-2014, 11:10 AM
Mine is due and the price I have been given from the same company that did it last year has just shot through the roof! I did say to him what I payed last yr and was only expecting £2 or £3 pound price increase,not £10 more! Told him that and he will take the price down a bit.My query is do you just pay for boiler inspection on its own or do you have your cooker hobs inspected aswell?
I don't have fire checked as it's log fire that gets swept & have carbon monoxide alarm. I don't provide lunch for minded kids & anything that needs heating up is done using my microwave, therefore do you think I can just pay for boiler service only? Another company I rang has quoted me much cheaper and is gas safety registered so will service the boiler and just do a visual inspection of my cooker hobs then provide me with a certificate. You think that's ok?

moggy
02-09-2014, 06:36 PM
Mine is due and the price I have been given from the same company that did it last year has just shot through the roof! I did say to him what I payed last yr and was only expecting £2 or £3 pound price increase,not £10 more! Told him that and he will take the price down a bit.My query is do you just pay for boiler inspection on its own or do you have your cooker hobs inspected aswell?
I don't have fire checked as it's log fire that gets swept & have carbon monoxide alarm. I don't provide lunch for minded kids & anything that needs heating up is done using my microwave, therefore do you think I can just pay for boiler service only? Another company I rang has quoted me much cheaper and is gas safety registered so will service the boiler and just do a visual inspection of my cooker hobs then provide me with a certificate. You think that's ok?

Yes, assuming you are in England, there is not written requirement in the EYFS. I have gas boiler serviced only.

rickysmiths
02-09-2014, 10:14 PM
I have mine serviced every year for my own families safety anyway. I don't care if it costs £100 it id worth every penny.

As I have always had it done anyway the minded children benefit as well.

QualityCare
03-09-2014, 07:33 AM
We have boiler service only and so glad we do as it was discovered last year that the flue was broken, the bit that was in the loft, so we didn't know about it and the carbon monoxide alarm fitted below the loft hatch didn't go off, we had alarm tested by the company who made it they confirmed it was working and thought that as the loft is ventilated all the fumes escaped.

Simona
03-09-2014, 07:33 AM
The only person who can decide is the one who runs the registered provision and therefore suitable to keep children and premises safe
I think the EYFS is very clear on this on p 27 and also refers to the Health and Safety policy...we are also responsible in terms of our PLI insurance

Up to us which way we read this but like RS I too have the boiler serviced once a year ...in addition I am sure cms ensure other appliances are safe and cause no risk to children or public as thy do for the rest of their premises

I agree that these checks are very costly but I also know you could put part of the expense in your accounts...check it out first.

Snowwhite
03-09-2014, 08:44 AM
Ok.Thanks everyone. I am in Wales but don't think its any different in regards to Gas safety checks

mum67
03-09-2014, 09:56 AM
Mine is done by our housing with everything else so I am lucky it is included in the rent. But for safety reasons I would pay if I had to for peace of mind.:)