PDA

View Full Version : Looking into becoming a childminder... help!!

clairey4
02-09-2014, 11:09 AM
Hello, I have worked in Private childcare for 7 years but im now considering becoming a registered childminder.

I have no clue how to be self employed or how to start this process so lookigng for some help..

Im in Scotland in a small village with a shortage of childminders.

How long does it take?
How much per year is the outlay on insurances/registrations etc..
I am a single parent of 1.. can i actually be financially better off childminding?
I know i can claim expenses... But what on?
How many kids can i have at once?
What is the new rules on early years curriculum?

Please advise! I dont want to start the process (How?!) If its not going to be feasable for me!:cool:

Rick
02-09-2014, 11:30 AM
Hi and welcome

I was going to link to a registration post for Ofsted but the process may be different in Scotland, hopefully a Scottish member can advise

tulip0803
02-09-2014, 11:48 AM
Hello and welcome:D

Someone from Scotland will be along soon who can give youfirst hand info but for the time being here are a couple of links to becoming a childminder in Scotland.

There is this link to scma about becoming a childminder in Scotland. Become A Childminder | Scottish Childminding Association (http://www.childminding.org/become-a-childminder)

and from the uk govt https://www.gov.uk/registering-as-childminder-scotland

It is possible to make a good living from childminding but it depends on demand in your area and as you say there is a shortage in your village.

clairey4
02-09-2014, 12:13 PM
Hello and welcome:D

Someone from Scotland will be along soon who can give youfirst hand info but for the time being here are a couple of links to becoming a childminder in Scotland.

There is this link to scma about becoming a childminder in Scotland. Become A Childminder | Scottish Childminding Association (http://www.childminding.org/become-a-childminder)

and from the uk govt https://www.gov.uk/registering-as-childminder-scotland

It is possible to make a good living from childminding but it depends on demand in your area and as you say there is a shortage in your village.

i dont find much on the SCMA website, it doesnt give hard facts which is what im after it really only has a phone line?! Just dont find much info on it! there is definately a demand but would i make money!? and my own daughter would count as a space so i just dont know?! Ive never dont bookkeeping or anything!? its so confusing

tulip0803
02-09-2014, 12:57 PM
i dont find much on the SCMA website, it doesnt give hard facts which is what im after it really only has a phone line?! Just dont find much info on it! there is definately a demand but would i make money!? and my own daughter would count as a space so i just dont know?! Ive never dont bookkeeping or anything!? its so confusing

It does say on the page if you ring the 01786 449063 number they will send you a "Guide to becoming a childminder"

Childminders in Scotland can care for 6 children under 16 which includes your own child - I think it is of those 6, 3 can be under 5. So depending on how old your daughter is you can have 2 or 3 under 5s and 2 or 3 at school. Fees depend on area.

The govt website mentions fees. You will need PLI (price depends where you get it from). Main expenses are food (if you supply, you can ask parents to bring packed lunches), craft stuff, petrol (if you drive).

I am not completely full but as full as I want to be but in 5 months I am on about £7,000 after expences (£3.50 per hour per child 6 spaces not all filled) this varies from childminder to childminder as expenses are individual and dependant on many things. The main problem is it is not guaranteed children can leave or change hours IYSWIM. It can also take a while to build up a business.

You do not need to buy new just safe things

I use a book-keeping package that Happytoddlers shared on here that works it all out:D - http://www.childmindinghelp.co.uk/forum/book-keeping-accounts-tax-expenses-national-insurance/104599-book-keeping-excel-workbook-updated.html They kindly update it every year for us

mum67
02-09-2014, 06:18 PM
I am England so not sure how you work but here goes for us-
Pre reg course free (when I did it, not sure now)
£40.00 1st aid
£50.00 health check
£35.00 Ofsted fee
£35.00 ICO
£110.00 DBS mine and son
Home Ins and PLI off top off my head can't think but put rough estimate £160 both

You will be invited to a pre reg meeting first to explain all you need to know and decide if you want to proceed onto the course, that's the best place to start.

It can be costly to start (certain areas have grants or pay for some of the above for you) make sure you set money aside until things pick up or you may be lucky and start quickly especially if demand is high where you live.
There is mountains of help and free resources on here for you to get started with.
It is over whelming at first but the best advice I found was on here and not my LA even though on the course they would say only listen to them I have since found out they get a lot of advice from here themselves.

Go to the pre reg meeting first before you make any decisions. A word of warning they put a lot off by the talk of 7 areas of learning, early learning goals, policies and procedures but it sounds worse than what it is honestly, you will do most of it with your own child just you write it down now and again.

I asked family and friends to sort toys, prams, blankets etc out for me before they had a clear out and chucked it, you really don't have to pay for anything if you go about it right. Make sure you know the stuff is safe, clean. You'll be amazed at how gratetful they are for getting rid of their stuff onto you and making space in their home again.

Good luck

Dragonfly
02-09-2014, 06:33 PM
Ouch! mum67 a lot of money to pay out.

mum67
02-09-2014, 06:39 PM
I know Dragonfly it was. It's a good job it wasn't in one go though and when I have to write it down it hurts more because I see it rather than it's paid and gone, if that makes sense.
But I was determined to do it and just hope it does pay off.

Since starting it all I have learned a lot about myself that I didn't think I was capable of though so bonus there:D

clairey4
02-09-2014, 07:15 PM
Thanks...

What is PL1?

I have asked around and price here varies from 4-5 an hour, Id probably charge 4.50.

My daughter is in p1 so I could have 3 under 5's and 2 other school age is that right?
I know two people who are interested, one has a toddler and a school age and one has a baby, preschooler and school age. That would fill spaces but not nesecarily all day every day.. But thats ok IF i can make money I need to live off.

Do people charge more for babies? And do they charge flat rate for hour before school and couple hours after? and if the child is off for whatever reason is that just invoiced as extra??

I'll ring up for the guide tomorrow.

How much is yearly insurance? I already have buisness use on my car insurance due to being a nanny.

Do the childminders provide buggies etc? Do the family not just bring theirs?

Also when the house is inspected, what are they looking for exactly?

How much are accountants?

tulip0803
02-09-2014, 09:17 PM
Thanks...

What is PL1?Public liability insurance

I have asked around and price here varies from 4-5 an hour, Id probably charge 4.50.

My daughter is in p1 so I could have 3 under 5's and 2 other school age is that right? Sorry not sure of Scottish years assume that's age 5-6? Yes providing there are no limitations for space (I have a "normal" size home & have full numbers)
I know two people who are interested, one has a toddler and a school age and one has a baby, preschooler and school age. That would fill spaces but not nesecarily all day every day.. But thats ok IF i can make money I need to live off.Sounds fine - your inspector will go over it and confirm numbers and timescales for registration. The ratios are at one time so if one family doesn't need a day you can take another on

Do people charge more for babies?I don't, but childminders set their own rates as we are self-employed And do they charge flat rate for hour before school and couple hours after? Some do, others charge hourly rates, some charge for the full/half day for pre-schoolersand if the child is off for whatever reason is that just invoiced as extra??It is good practice to be paid in advance as then people cannot leave you without paying. I charge for all contracted days that I am available to work so parents still pay if the child does not attend, I don't charge for my time off

I'll ring up for the guide tomorrow.

How much is yearly insurance? I already have buisness use on my car insurance due to being a nanny.Depends where you buy it. SCMA do insurance. I am insured by MM and it costs £50 for the year

Do the childminders provide buggies etc? Do the family not just bring theirs? I provide my own as if something gets damaged it causes less problems

Also when the house is inspected, what are they looking for exactly?The house is inspected to ensure it is safe and clean

How much are accountants?Depends on the accountants. I do my own using the spread sheet and it works it all out.

Hope that helps - Good luck :thumbsup: