PDA

View Full Version : Notice Board Help

kayz90
01-09-2014, 01:02 PM
Rather then having to fill out and have endless amounts of paper work another childminder has advised the following I just want to check with others that this is ok...
On my notice board had a fire alarm and fire evacuations, the register, daily risk check and what the meals and activities for that day are all laminated so can use a dry wipe pen and fill out each day.
thanks kaylee

rickysmiths
01-09-2014, 02:09 PM
I don't have any of those up.

I have my Registration Cert, My Employers Liability Insurance, The Osted Poster and a Pots Card from my local Safeguarding Board.

I have a poster up A4 with pictures because none of mine read and in fact they don't understand the poster either!!, they are all under 2, which makes a nonsense of it anyway, with my Evacuation Procedure on. I don't have a Fire Procedure or Fire Practice because it could be a number of reasons why you might have to evacuate your home, not just fire.

I have two multi photo frames above the children's pegs with photos of where we have been and what we have been doing and I change that maybe once a month.

When putting things on my walls or indeed up for my parents I always ask myself :

Why am I putting this up?
Who is it meant for?

Will they really look at it, be able to read it or understand it?

Do I really need it on the wall?

I work in my home and my family want to live in their home, not a mock Nursery. I always work on the basis of less is more.

It makes my brain hurt when I go and pick children up from Nursery, Reception, Yr1 because of all the stuff on the wall, windows and hanging from the ceiling I don't believe it really adds to the children's experience because it is too much and too busy to be a positive contribution.

I think parents are the same they don't and won't stop and reads lots of folders or look at a Notice Board that is busting at the seams. Mine drop off at the door in the morning and mostly pick up from the door at night because they are in a hurry to get to work and are often running late (lol!) or they just want to get home.

I share information via the Daily Diary/Learning Journal I do which goes home every day.

kayz90
01-09-2014, 02:42 PM
my main one is the attendance register if i have that up then i dont have to fill out endless attendances??? x

mama2three
01-09-2014, 03:00 PM
sorry Kayz90 but you need to maintain a record of attendance. It cant be wiped clean each day , you need to be able to show ofsted that you have maintained a record of attendance , you may need it in the future for a range of reasons....
Some of the other things on your list don't need to be written or ticked - such as a daily RA , or menu...that's up to you.
We don't officially have to do fire evacuations at all - so its up to you if you do them / how you record them etc
But the register cant be done in this way.

kayz90
01-09-2014, 03:13 PM
oh this is sooo annoying so i need to fill all of that out and do the parents need to sign aswell?

mama2three
01-09-2014, 03:19 PM
I don't get parents to sign , but it would come in handy if there are ever any disputes.

rickysmiths
01-09-2014, 03:38 PM
my main one is the attendance register if i have that up then i dont have to fill out endless attendances??? x

I'm not sure what you mean by endless attendances? Ofsted require that we keep a record of all attendances.

Personally I keep a record that I keep. I do this for several reasons.

1. It shows the attendance of the child and the time they are dropped and collected, my parents sign their record each week to confirm this and this then complies with what Ofsted want to see.

2. I have a page a month for each child, even siblings. This then means I can easily copy any child's record without having to block out the record of others. This may be needed if a parent disputes the hours their child has attended when paying their fees (hence a signature each week because they can never accuse me of not telling them!) Also I think it is good practice to keep a child's attendance record confidential even if parents know a child is off or tell each other, but that is up to them.

3. In case an allegation is made I have an exact record of a child's attendances and it is signed and confirmed by the parent to be correct. This proved it's worth when a parent made a complaint about a specific day to Ofsted about the times I had collected a child from school, accusing me of being late all the time and not telling them . I was able to very quickly copy the child's Attendance pages which clearly showed the parent was lying on all counts and the complaint was not upheld. If I had not had the signed register then it would have been the parents word against mine and the Complaint would probably have been upheld.

I choose to use the Pacey Attendance Registers. They hold all the children's details in the front in the age bands and the hours they they attend, I add the emergency contacts to the information and then when I am inspected the Inspector has no need to see my Contracts because they can see at a glance in one place that i hold all the required information about the child. Ofsted can also see very easily what children I have and what age each day and so check I am not over numbers.

Then they are set out so you have a page per child per month. On each page you record the time in and out and also if they are absent, why they are. It takes seconds to fill in as the children arrive and leave and it sits on my hall table so it is simple for parents to sign it once a week. I also fill in their weeks holidays and mine and get them to sign those weeks as well confirming they are aware of the exact holiday dates so they can't say they forgot.

When I have had more than 6 children on my books I just tabbed their pages with a post it sticking out with initials on so I could find each child's page very quickly.

I also then have the years register all together when I work out figures for my accounts (I start my register in April and it ends in March each year.) like checking the number of meals I have served etc. Also the number of hours each week (to work out the correct %) and the number of weeks I have worked.

It may sound a lot of work but it isn't really and it means the record is easy to see.

I now have 19 Attendance Registers in my loft which may sound a lot but they fit in a small box with my accounts and my ex children's files. Earlier this year I shredded my first 2 because the children are now 22yrs old.

kayz90
01-09-2014, 03:49 PM
Also i thought we still had to do a daily risk assessment????

kayz90
01-09-2014, 04:01 PM
thanks how many months can you do from the pacey attendance register? x

mama2three
01-09-2014, 04:04 PM
we need to risk assess daily , well ongoing really. But there is no requirement to tick to say we have done a daily check. its pointless , a tick means nothing more than you can tick! I have a daily checklist that I can refer to if I choose , I have a full annual check for the home , I have additional RAs for specific situations / children / outings.

rickysmiths
01-09-2014, 04:06 PM
thanks how many months can you do from the pacey attendance register? x

Well I guess it depends on how many children you have but on average over a year I have 5-6 per week and it lasts me the 12 months from April to the end of the following March with pages to spare. Only once was I short, so I just took half a dozen unused pages out of one of the other Registers. I usually have the previous two in my locked box downstairs in case I need to refer to them.

mum67
01-09-2014, 04:35 PM
You do the daily RA as you go around in the morning before the lo's arrive, indoors and outside, it's a mental check not written. You have to keep the register by law so if you wipe it off each day you have no record to show.
Read the EYFS again to refresh your memory, I often refer back to it for clarity as well as asking the :magnificent: forum members.:)

LizP
01-09-2014, 04:59 PM
The only notices you HAVE to display are;
Ofsted certificate
Ofsted poster.

Other items have to be available but can be in a folder.

jadavi
01-09-2014, 05:52 PM
How do people evidence their ongoing self assessment and evaluation?

LizP
01-09-2014, 08:17 PM
I use action plans and in our area we have an online SEF, self evaluation form which you complete under the headings that you are graded in. I thought everyone used this, but perhaps not.

moggy
01-09-2014, 08:32 PM
How do people evidence their ongoing self assessment and evaluation?

I use Ofsted online SEF every 6 months.
For CPD I use Pacey online CPD log.