PDA

View Full Version : References when applying to Ofsted

CSR2014
01-09-2014, 11:22 AM
Hi,

This is my first post!

I am in the process of registering and I have been reading lots of the posts from members and hopefully have picked up many invaluable tips for when I (fingers crossed!!) get registered. So many thanks to everyone for 'sharing' - it's really helpful to newbies!!

Here goes with my first questions!!

I am just waiting for my DBS checks to come back. I had to do three as I have three household members who are over 16. Daft question probably but do all three checks come back together at the same time or will they come separately?

Also, I have started to fill in the online Ofsted application form whilst I am waiting for the DBS checks (I realise I cannot 'submit' until our DBS's are back!). My query is about the reference section. Has anyone got their references done in advance and then attached to the online application form? If so, did you do this for just the personal references or did you include your employer reference too? Has anyone got an example reference form they could kindly attach to me please? I spoke to the Ofsted helpline about this and was told to 'make my own' but I am scared of doing this and then missing something vital out and so delaying the process!!

I would really appreciate any help or advice anyone can give me please! I seem to have been going through this process for a very long time and can't wait to actually just get the opportunity to start being a fully fledged Registered Childminder!!

Bundle
04-09-2014, 06:54 PM
Hiya! Welcome!

I'm registering too, so just been through all this.

About the DBS, mine and my husband's both came back together - eventually!
Other people have said that they had had theirs and were waiting for hubbies and vice versa though - so maybe my experience was unusual?

I attached references to my Ofsted Application form. I didn't have a work one, just two from friends. Both my friends were contacted and had to send a form back to Ofsted anyway, so I wouldn't stress too much about it. The Social Services checks were being done at the same time and they took longer anyway. At least, mine did!

There is guidance somewhere about what to put in the reference - I think it was in a previous post from Vikki5531 but I can't find the actual document it was from.
The info was:
1. Referees name address and telephone number
2. How long referee has known you (must be at least 12 months)
3. The capacity in which the referee has known you
4.the present relationship between yourself and the referee
5. The referee's opinionof your ability to look after children under 5, your overall character and suitability and any other relevant information.

Hope this helps!

CSR2014
05-09-2014, 10:36 AM
Hi,

Thanks a lot for your reply.

Still waiting for the DBS's, although it does say on the tracker that they are at the final stage so we shall see!!

Think I will try to attach the references and then they can contact them anyway if they choose.

One further query please!!! What are the Social Services checks please? I have seen references to these on the forum but can't see any explanation anywhere on what they are! Are they part of the DBS or have a missed something out as I haven't done anything to request a Social Services check??? I hope I haven't missed something major out!!!

Thanks again for your help, much appreciated.

Bundle
07-09-2014, 07:02 PM
The DBS seems to take longest at the Police stage - mine was stuck on stage four for ages. It took more than 70 days in the end, but other people on my pre reg course had theirs back within 2 weeks. I hope you are one of the lucky ones!

The Social Services checks are separate from the DBS, and you don't need to do anything. Ofsted will contact Social services to see if they have any kind of history with you. Then when they've done that, and checked your references, they should contact you to arrange your pre reg visit.

That's where I am now.

CSR2014
07-09-2014, 08:11 PM
Hi,

Well that's a relief! I had an awful feeling that I'd missed out a step so thanks a lot for letting me know.

Good luck with your registration visit - sounds like you've got it all under control.

Thanks again.