PDA

View Full Version : Is there an Agency in your Area?

Tealady
01-09-2014, 10:31 AM
Just as the title says really.

I'm in Berkshire and I am not aware of any here either existing or proposed ones.

Just, as today is the day they are supposed to be coming in I was wondering what's happening in your areas.

I not after a pro/against agency debate just was curious what's around.

Mouse
01-09-2014, 11:19 AM
Nothing at all in my area. There's never been any talk of agencies here, so it'll be interesting to see if any pop up now. Can't see it happening, but it'll be interesting to watch where they do start to appear.

Heaven Scent
01-09-2014, 12:40 PM
Yes - its called My Agency and there is only one Childminder on the Books (ME) and one person running the agency (that'll be ME again) - I'm happy with the situation and have no intention of changing it :laughing:

Other than that I have not heard of any other agency setting up

Chimps Childminding
01-09-2014, 01:12 PM
Not heard there is one round by us :rolleyes:

rickysmiths
01-09-2014, 01:43 PM
None near me either and not heard of any being proposed.

My goodness Mrs Truss must be reeling in her amazing success!! :laughing::laughing:

Mouse
01-09-2014, 01:49 PM
My goodness Mrs Truss must be reeling in her amazing success!! :laughing::laughing:

Or be extremely relieved she got out before D-Day!

SYLVIA
01-09-2014, 02:09 PM
Nothing here either. Went to a LA meeting a while ago and they had no info about one in this area

Chatterbox Childcare
01-09-2014, 02:11 PM
We have one here - Trio childcare connections - offering bronze, silver and gold memberships that give support to independent childinders with training right through to full membership when everything is available.

Look here for a bit of information : https://training.triochildcare.co.uk/membership-info

mama2three
01-09-2014, 02:38 PM
Im fairly close to @homechildcare , they were a nanny agency originally , and offered training for childminders ( level 2,3 , first aid) - but have now also become a cm agency.
I don't know anyone at all who is even interested in joining.
In fact when I had my inspection in August the inspector said she had never come across a cm who was intending to join one.

Chatterbox Childcare
01-09-2014, 03:36 PM
Shared by Pacey today : makes interesting reading - December !

Ofsted have now released their childminder agency handbook<http://www.ofsted.gov.uk/news/childminder-agency-handbook-published-today>, with information on how to register an agency and very late on Friday the DfE published their promised guidance for agencies Ofsted | Childminder agency handbook published today (http://www.ofsted.gov.uk/news/childminder-agency-handbook-published-today) . So we can now start to finalise the information our members need if they are considering joining an agency (if and when one opens in their local area). Ofsted makes clear that the registration process will be lengthy, with any agency applying to register on September 1 only likely to be up and running just before Christmas.

Simona
01-09-2014, 03:43 PM
Has anyone in East Sussex come across Total Childcare Services Ltd?...they are preparing to be an agency and are featured in the October EYE issue and fully endorsed by 4Children Sue Robb

Childminding : Total Childcare Services (http://tcschildcare.co.uk/childminding/)

rickysmiths
01-09-2014, 03:45 PM
We have one here - Trio childcare connections - offering bronze, silver and gold memberships that give support to independent childinders with training right through to full membership when everything is available.

Look here for a bit of information : https://training.triochildcare.co.uk/membership-info

So they aren't offering any more to their 'Gold' members than Pacey already offer their members at the mid price and offer it to Independent Childminders! Once you pay anything to the Agency for a Package and membership you loose your Independence and inspection.

rickysmiths
01-09-2014, 04:02 PM
Has anyone in East Sussex come across Total Childcare Services Ltd?...they are preparing to be an agency and are featured in the October EYE issue and fully endorsed by 4Children Sue Robb

Childminding : Total Childcare Services (http://tcschildcare.co.uk/childminding/)

Yes I have they are a Husband and Wife Team who used to be Police Officers who had difficulty getting childcare to cover their shifts.

They are building a big Nursery and are really emphasizing outdoor play. They want to Employ Nannies and Childminders (yes that is right Employ cm) to cover 24/7 childcare for parents. If the Employed Nannies and childminders don't have any children to care for in a day they will be expected to work in the Nursery.

For Childminders who do have children in their homes an Expense Allowance will be paid to cover expenses and equipment will be loaned recognising that an Employed Childminder would no longer be able to file a Self Employment Tax Return and offset Expenses.

They have suggested that the more qualified and experienced Childminders will be paid more.

They will dictate working hours and that includes late evenings, overnight, and weekends so goodness knows what a childminder would do with their children if they had any.

There was a local meeting last week and one childminder with two under 8s of her own asked what would happen and they said they wouldn't employ her!!

Apparent the owners did not provide any refreshments. He was asked many questions by the childminders present and went away reeling and in their words 'with a very great deal to think about!'. They said it was clear he did not fully understand how childminding works or how highly qualified many of us are.

They are now waiting to see what happens next. All this was on Face Book and I know you are not on Face Book.

Mouse
01-09-2014, 04:15 PM
He was asked many questions by the childminders present and went away reeling and in their words 'with a very great deal to think about!'. They said it was clear he did not fully understand how childminding works or how highly qualified many of us are.

They are now waiting to see what happens next. All this was on Face Book and I know you are not on Face Book.

This is what I find most worrying, that people with no experience at all of childminding can set up an agency. How on earth is that going to benefit anyone?

Simona
01-09-2014, 04:27 PM
Thanks for sharing that RS as I am not on FB

In the EYE article it says the wife is still working as a police officer
Their website states that they have just employed a teacher for their agency...so that is how they will pass the knowledge test on EYFS while they have none!
It would be good if that cm who attended the meeting would write to EYE

They are on twitter too @TCSChildcare...so following them now

The Ofsted handbook also say it will take 16 weeks to register (p21)....so December is the likely date an agency will be up and running

Plenty of time to spoil their Christmas :angry:

Jayse74
01-09-2014, 09:28 PM
This is what I find most worrying, that people with no experience at all of childminding can set up an agency. How on earth is that going to benefit anyone?

Nothing surprises me at all now! I just hope that common sense will prevail. Seems like Alice in wonderland runs the country these days lol.

Jayse74
01-09-2014, 09:30 PM
Thanks for sharing that RS as I am not on FB

In the EYE article it says the wife is still working as a police officer
Their website states that they have just employed a teacher for their agency...so that is how they will pass the knowledge test on EYFS while they have none!
It would be good if that cm who attended the meeting would write to EYE

They are on twitter too @TCSChildcare...so following them now

The Ofsted handbook also say it will take 16 weeks to register (p21)....so December is the likely date an agency will be up and running

Plenty of time to spoil their Christmas :angry:

Anyone remember the fuss back in 2011 when two friends got told off for un-regged childminding, then turned out they were police officers! I wonder if they are the same people?
EDIT: I need to read the EYE article.

Jayse74
01-09-2014, 09:35 PM
Yes I have they are a Husband and Wife Team who used to be Police Officers who had difficulty getting childcare to cover their shifts.

They are building a big Nursery and are really emphasizing outdoor play. They want to Employ Nannies and Childminders (yes that is right Employ cm) to cover 24/7 childcare for parents. If the Employed Nannies and childminders don't have any children to care for in a day they will be expected to work in the Nursery.

For Childminders who do have children in their homes an Expense Allowance will be paid to cover expenses and equipment will be loaned recognising that an Employed Childminder would no longer be able to file a Self Employment Tax Return and offset Expenses.

They have suggested that the more qualified and experienced Childminders will be paid more.

They will dictate working hours and that includes late evenings, overnight, and weekends so goodness knows what a childminder would do with their children if they had any.

There was a local meeting last week and one childminder with two under 8s of her own asked what would happen and they said they wouldn't employ her!!

Apparent the owners did not provide any refreshments. He was asked many questions by the childminders present and went away reeling and in their words 'with a very great deal to think about!'. They said it was clear he did not fully understand how childminding works or how highly qualified many of us are.

Well where we live! Our local Authority granted permission for a new Nursery able to offer 140spaces! This will be on an industrial estate in an old office block. I am unsure the exact details but it may have links to a haulage company branching into childcare? I doubt this is an agency but 140spaces is HUGE compared to all the other Nursery settings already established in the same area and around the city.

Makes me wonder, how can anybody think that amount is ok? I thought the ratio fuss back along was bad enough.

mum67
01-09-2014, 09:47 PM

Well there's one golden rule broken already by them - discrimination against a person for having children - even though the business they are about to set up is for childcare and they came into for reasons of not finding the right childcare for their own children when working as a pair of boobies - sorry bobbies - no I did mean boobies because that's what they sound like.
They then precede to say we wouldn't hire you if you had children of your own to think of- they should be disqualified before they start the pair of nutters.:laughing::laughing::laughing:

mum67
01-09-2014, 09:50 PM
Anyone remember the fuss back in 2011 when two friends got told off for un-regged childminding, then turned out they were police officers! I wonder if they are the same people?
EDIT: I need to read the EYE article.

:laughing::laughing: sounds like the nutters:laughing::laughing:

mum67
01-09-2014, 09:55 PM
Well where we live! Our local Authority granted permission for a new Nursery able to offer 140spaces! This will be on an industrial estate in an old office block. I am unsure the exact details but it may have links to a haulage company branching into childcare? I doubt this is an agency but 140spaces is HUGE compared to all the other Nursery settings already established in the same area and around the city.

Makes me wonder, how can anybody think that amount is ok? I thought the ratio fuss back along was bad enough.

Where will the children play out and what environment does the surrounding outdoors offer them - catch the fuel emissions, dodge the truck see if you can survive, smell the lovely fresh (not) scent of fuel emissions.
How could this be passed. It sounds like a safeguarding nightmare.

mum67
01-09-2014, 09:57 PM
Suppose the 140 spaces will be divided up into age group rooms or something like that, but it still doesn't sound anywhere near ideal for children.

rickysmiths
01-09-2014, 09:57 PM
Well there's one golden rule broken already by them - discrimination against a person for having children - even though the business they are about to set up is for childcare and they came into for reasons of not finding the right childcare for their own children when working as a pair of boobies - sorry bobbies - no I did mean boobies because that's what they sound like.
They then precede to say we wouldn't hire you if you had children of your own to think of- they should be disqualified before they start the pair of nutters.:laughing::laughing::laughing:

Well the thing is they wouldn't make enough money out of a childminder with two of their own children taking up places. So much for Mrs Truss view that Agencies would encourage more cm into the profession.

mum67
01-09-2014, 10:03 PM
aah Rickysmiths now I see where they are coming from. I took it to mean as you would have to work whatever shift they said because you have children they wouldn't employ you because it would be complicated to do their rota. But if that's there reasoning it is even more biased and discriminative.
Big thumbs down for these two boobies all round.

Jayse74
01-09-2014, 10:19 PM
Where will the children play out and what environment does the surrounding outdoors offer them - catch the fuel emissions, dodge the truck see if you can survive, smell the lovely fresh (not) scent of fuel emissions.
How could this be passed. It sounds like a safeguarding nightmare.

I really do not know why but pass it did! I used to work on both industrial estates in our City/Town and let me say this! Even back then (1990's) I knew it was wrong to have children in such an environment, no matter if there is bags of space to play etc. An industrial estate has that title/label for a reason lol. I put it down to the crazy times we are living in. :jump for joy:

Jayse74
01-09-2014, 10:33 PM
:laughing::laughing: sounds like the nutters:laughing::laughing:

This caused a right fuss! they were on the news, tv etc. Ofsted had to change things regarding minding between friends etc. Thing is this happens all the time! Every term we see it going on. Some even have the gaul to rub our noses in it lol. Lovely folk some of em :)

Simona
02-09-2014, 08:01 AM

OMG Jayse74!!!!!!!!!!....now I know where that woman from Dragon's Den....Hilary something has gone...she is branching off in childcare!
Well...well.... after all we have heard that 'anyone can be a CM'...NOT!!!

Actually it really makes me sick to my stomach that this govt ...and those intending to make money...believe that both children and CMs can be traded in this childcare market and that anyone with not an ounce of knowledge of childcare can open an agency

So much rhetoric has been banded about...the air smells of it...but maybe we need a 2nd campaign against agencies not just the same repetitive words which we read every day

Some agencies will be a social enterprise...so the profit put back in the business after wages and perks are paid
others will be run purely on a commercial basis....profit and making lots of money...I hope parents will go into it with their eyes open and not be
fooled by the promises made by 4Children et al

What agencies offer is already available and parents could do a bit of research for a cm that offers what they want...flexibility and cover for shift work etc etc will be available
There are nurseries offering babysitting/nanny service to parents I believe???...the staff finish work and then go to the parents to carry on with the childcare and I thought that was not really promoted in large settings ...but all of a sudden it is OK?

In answer to the OP we have our LA who I believe will be setting up an agency...we were surveyed in what I think was a questionnaire intended to insult and we are to hear results... I emailed my EY Head yesterday to ask when the results will be known...unless we need to go for a FOI?

We also have someone ...ex CM...who intends to open a CIC agency...those on NWorld Linkedin will know about this....so for me there is danger on 2 sides on 2 fronts

I would like to say to cms not to think that an agency will be just in your area or set up locally
Agencies can be set up across the country by someone sitting at a desk and operating miles away

My view of course... but it is not rocket science :thumbsup:

I wonder if anyone has noticed that this company run by the 2 police officers is not in the original 20 who were chose by the DfE to trial agencies?
we know many gave up half way so were the rules changed half way through the trials and others added to the trials?

Is anyone near St Bede's Academy because that one is quoted as being an agency already...do share if you come across any news!

Daisy1956
02-09-2014, 12:07 PM
I think I am near St Bedes but apart from a talk they gave to CMs,from which they got the idea we were not interested, it has gone very quiet.