PDA

View Full Version : planning-what to record?

rainbowsdawn
29-07-2008, 02:31 PM
:confused: hi, im a bit stuck and confused :confused: im just starting to do some planning for sept but dont know where to start.

ive decided to do a topic "all about me", so what ive done is divide that into 4 weeks, then into everyday so i have a planning sheet for everyday (is this too much) anyway if i plan to do an activity such as painting feet, do i have to record what EYFS it meets aswell?

just soooooooooooooooooo unsure what to do :panic: , any help would be great :thumbsup:

sue m
29-07-2008, 02:58 PM
Me too. I never planned what we were going to do years ago when I was a childminder, I really hate thinking about it. Do they mean like a timetable, we will do this at so and so time and then do that in a couple of hours? I always let the children take the lead and tried to help/play and didn't try to plan things too much unless it was going out. My little L just doesn't seem over-enthusiastic about things, he's very laid back. Yesterday he wanted to go to the park so we went and then after 5 goes on the slide he said it was time to go home cos it was lunch time! I said - in a very excited voice - "let's get the paints out and go in the garden!" and he wasn't that interested so I got it all set up and him in a very large tee shirt and he seemed very bored with it. There is such a lot I don't understand yet! :panic:

sarah707
29-07-2008, 03:20 PM
Sounds like you have thought of a great first theme... and planned it out really well. Children like learning about themselves, so it will be largely child led.

If you plan it to the 6 areas of eyfs, by putting it in a sort of grid (A4 split into 6) then you can be sure you are giving children a spread of activities... some to cover each area of learning and development. Involve the children in thinking about what they would like to do and maybe ask parents for baby photos so you can show them how they have grown etc.

Once you've done that, see what the children want to do, follow your themes and, when you have some observations done, write them up by looking through the learning and devleopment grids at the back of the eyfs, for the age and stage of the child ...

Work out what the child has done, what you might plan next to support his ongoing learning ... and plan for that!

Job done! :D

nannysue
29-07-2008, 03:31 PM
I,m so glad its not just me!!!! :panic: Is it because we are "older"( i mean in years experience as well as age):laughing: I've tried to get my head around it but its putting it all down on paper which is so confusing. We are becoming more like a nursery all the time. I'm sure it will become clear eventually but right now i think more training would be very helpful. Sue x

sue m
29-07-2008, 03:42 PM
It's me too! I have been looking through my old stuff from when I was childminding before Ofsted took over and I found this letter, this is what they wrote "No need to panic. The news last summer that Ofsted is taking over the registration and inspection of Childminders in England prompted all sorts of rumour and speculation. Some childminders were worried that there would be teams of school inspectors at their homes for days on end. Others envisaged league tables of childminders or imagined themselves having to prepare lesson plans like teachers. Rest assured, none of these things will happen You will notice few differences!!!! Finally a word on the changeover, we have nothing to fear, there is no need to panic" Yeah, right. Some of us can't help but panic. :panic:

hillbilly
29-07-2008, 05:55 PM
I use long, medium and short term planning, with each one informing the other. so,
Long term: lists month by month what my topic will be, eg, homes, spring, growing etc. This needs to be really flexible, as I might plan to do, say, growing in April, but then find I have a new mindee or that they want to do 'Space'. If what I have planned for long term isnt appropriate when I get to that month, then I change it to something that is.

Medium: With this, I list all the 'developmental matters' that I would like the children to be working towards for each learning area for the topic. eg for August, im doing a topic of animals (long Term Plan) then under Personal, social and emotional development I have thought about the development matters (EYFS) and chosen these :Explore the environment with interest, Have a strong exploratory impulse, Feel safe and secure within healthy relationships with key people, Express their feelings within warm, mutual, affirmative relationships. These are the key things that I feel the children in my care need to be working towards, and are appropriate to them.

Short Term: This is then a week in advance, detailing what activities im planning to do throughout the week to help the children with the development matters in my medium term plan. eg Personal, Social and Emotional Development:Using the soft animals to give cuddles, stroke, touch, describing feelings.

It sounds really complicated. but its not once youve done it a couple of times. I also have to keep looking at the EYFS pack, which is a good thing, as its an important document for us all to understand, imo!
If any one would like me to send them a copy, just pm me.

Mrs.L.C
05-08-2008, 06:41 PM
When Ofsted came to see me few months back (wanted to register a bedroom) I asked about planning under ne EYFS and did it need to be written down. I was told that it did not unless it stated you must do WRITTEN plans...which unless im missing something its does not. She did how ever say I would need to show evidence of childrens development and what I plan to do to develop their learning and if i can do this verbaly then it didnt need to be written down.

Has any1 else heard this?

the reason I ask is because surely there is going to still be some diference to childminders and those who do the funded sessions for 3&4 year olds which atm is doing the written plans and evaluations

sarah707
05-08-2008, 07:30 PM
the reason I ask is because surely there is going to still be some diference to childminders and those who do the funded sessions for 3&4 year olds which atm is doing the written plans and evaluations

There will be no difference between funded childminders and everyone else under eyfs...

Yes, you are right, we have to prove we are meeting the requirements of the eyfs ... we do this in whatever is best way for each of us...

I for one don't want to be sitting explaining my planning to an inspector and letting the children run riot... plus I'd forget it all! Best get it written down and get on with the job of showing how fab I am with the children :D

EllieF
05-08-2008, 08:48 PM
I find jotting down some observations (just a few lines) and thinking about "next steps" helps me to focus, and I love looking back at it all. I dont do loads, but can see the value, and I am trying to make it simple and straight forward, after all its the kids I love being with not the paperwork!
Ellie