PDA

View Full Version : recording CPD

mum67
29-08-2014, 06:20 PM
Can anyone advise on how to record my CPD. For internet searches and reading do I put when, what, how long etc, not done anymore courses yet because of finances but I am always on Ofsted site (signed up for updates by email) and reading and downloading, the same as other sites that I have found from links on here.

I am sure I bought an e-book from Sarah about it all, but can't find it in my downloads, think I will check my other pen drives.

Does CPD have to be courses has I do lots of research and planning for future development of my garden and indoor space.

moggy
29-08-2014, 08:35 PM
Are you with pacey? They do a good online CPD log and it explains the different types of CPD, not just courses but discussions with other child minders, reading on the subject, conferences, meetings, online video guides, and developing others like mentoring other minders. But you can just list in a note book or something, but say what you got from it, what changes you will make as a result and how that will improve outcomes for the children.

mum67
29-08-2014, 09:24 PM
No moggy I'm not a member yet I just cannot afford it yet, but I will take your advice and put it all in a book with headed pages, or make a booklet of some kind up in word.

Thank you for the advice Moggy

mama2three
30-08-2014, 07:26 AM
just buy a cheap diary and make a note or 2 when you have researched something , or had updates etc. It really doesn't need to be in depth or worth the time taken to make booklets etc. Then add a paragraph into your sef , outilining all your methods of cpd , saying these are diarised , and say what you would like to go on to do next. Maybe in the back of the diary you could jot down a 'wish list' or areas you feel you need to get more training in - then as you mark these off it shows continuining evaluation and reflection. Maybe you want to research a particular schema that a child is showing signs of etc , make a note , do the research , add some play based on this into planning ....That really is all that ofsted want to see.

Simona
30-08-2014, 07:33 AM
Can anyone advise on how to record my CPD. For internet searches and reading do I put when, what, how long etc, not done anymore courses yet because of finances but I am always on Ofsted site (signed up for updates by email) and reading and downloading, the same as other sites that I have found from links on here.

I am sure I bought an e-book from Sarah about it all, but can't find it in my downloads, think I will check my other pen drives.

Does CPD have to be courses has I do lots of research and planning for future development of my garden and indoor space.

You can devise your own format and what works best for you
CPD should be a 'live and working' document that you access anytime you want to add to it...Ofsted are now mentioning CPD several times in their recent updates
Number the pages and put in your portfolio under qualifications ready for the inspector to see...CPD is not just attending training ...it is much more

You could do a simple Word document...a table will do
The 3 main columns should be

-Date and time spent on the task
record the time spent on the task whether it is reading an article, talking to another cm, peer support, mentoring reading updates or reviewing policies...accessing this forum ...asking and replying to questions count as well
if you are on twitter #EYtalking counts as 1 hour each week

The time you have spent in this forum will count as you are preparing for your inspection and getting peer support

- Why, When, Where and What...the reason for the action

-Reflection/Outcomes...what result has the task had on your practice/knowledge/skills/children

Those who join an agency will be required to do 15 hrs of CPD per year...independent cms have to be in charge of that themselves
the amount of time is up to you....some cms can do 5/6 hrs per week at certain times

There should be no limit for you...you decide
If you google CPD there are numerous examples of it...also follow Kathy Brodie and look at her website ...she writes a lot on CPD

If you devise your own CPD documentation you can make it your copyright too and your own paperwork!
Your CPD will also link to the SEF if you do that version or any you do because the outcomes can be included in the SEF

Good luck :thumbsup:

Mouse
30-08-2014, 07:59 AM
I use an A4 page per day diary throughout the week. It's got everything in it. For each week day i make notes of what we've done, children's achievements, things parents have told me, any risks I've identified and action I've taken, fire drills, things to remember, anything noteworthy etc etc.

The Saturday page I use for ideas I have, notes on any websites I've been on, articles I've read etc (so CPD), things I need to do ( print off invoices, buy more baby wipes, updated policies, pay Ofsted fee etc).

The Sunday page is used for planning for the following week, including resources I need to buy or sort out.

mum67
31-08-2014, 05:39 PM
This will be a great help thank you all very much, we didn't cover CPD in our pre reg course, I remember the sentence "goes towards your CPD" being mentioned but not explained at the end of the last night of the course! My DO has never mentioned it in the waste of time sessions we have had if she turns up.
But now I know what to do and how I have lots to write down and try and remember.

Simona that's a great idea for a table of things, I was thinking of doing some sort of word document to support it but you have given me my starting points.

Thank you all very much again.:)

mum67
01-09-2014, 10:29 PM
Simona I have read a couple of blogs by Kathy Brodie, she is fab isn't she. I will look this one up, thanks:)