PDA

View Full Version : I'm new to childminding and really need some advice please!!

Lucymac
29-07-2008, 01:13 PM
I've got myself into a really tricky situation, I've just started minding my best friends little boy from yesterday while she is on a training course for 2 days each week lasting for 7 weeks with the possibility of her gaining empoyment after. I'm worried though because he's already making my children's life a misery by bossing them around and hitting my son. I got a brand new jigsaw out today for the children to play with and he deliberately jumped up and down on the box and smashed it! I'm already having regrets about agreeing to watch him, but what can I do? He's my best mates Son and I risk falling out with her if I say anything. Please Help!!:(

aly
29-07-2008, 01:17 PM
I'm wonderign about this too. I have not had him yet as I'm not registered but she wants me to once I am registered.

He is 9 and my son will be 7 in oct. They play nice but then her son will pick
on my son. Im not sure what to do either and im hoping I get spaces filled quickly lol

Good luck in finding a solution.

x

Minstrel
29-07-2008, 01:18 PM
At the risk of sounding obvious - some kids do this!!
I think you need to sit him down and give him the house rules. explain them in an appropriote way for his age. then relax and praise when he is good and pull him up when he's not following them.
Hes fairly new to it all so i'd give him a chance to get settled and watch your children be good and the rewards they get for doing the right things. he will soon want treats to and learn to follow the rules too.
He also needs to get used to your routine extra so he is probably asserting himself in the new enviroment.
hth
x

Julia
29-07-2008, 01:24 PM
I've got myself into a really tricky situation, I've just started minding my best friends little boy from yesterday while she is on a training course for 2 days each week lasting for 7 weeks with the possibility of her gaining empoyment after. I'm worried though because he's already making my children's life a misery by bossing them around and hitting my son. I got a brand new jigsaw out today for the children to play with and he deliberately jumped up and down on the box and smashed it! I'm already having regrets about agreeing to watch him, but what can I do? He's my best mates Son and I risk falling out with her if I say anything. Please Help!!:(

I mind my sisters best friends little one and have been for over a year now, yes it is bad when you have to tell them your son is acting like a thug, he used to bite the girls, but I told her how I was dealing with it and if she delt with it the same way we would soon nip it in the bud, which we did.

Children who know you will act up in front of you because they feel comfortable with you. Sit your friend down and explain to her what he's doing and work together, she would much rather you be honest with her and you work through the problem rather than you just cancel the contract and there be a bit of a problem between you two, I bet she already knows hes a little monster anyway and is probably waiting for you to say it:laughing:

Whan you minding for friends, dont treat them or their children any different because at the end of the day, your a business and they are your client.

kindredspirits
29-07-2008, 01:26 PM
i think every one has had valid points - its really important to make it clear that that behaviour isn't acceptable in your house - he's probably pushing hs boundaries a bit.

hth anna xx

Lucymac
29-07-2008, 01:31 PM
[QUOTE=aly;196000]I'm wonderign about this too. I have not had him yet as I'm not registered but she wants me to once I am registered.

He is 9 and my son will be 7 in oct. They play nice but then her son will pick
on my son. Im not sure what to do either and im hoping I get spaces filled quickly lol

Good luck in finding a solution.

Well I'll keep ya posted on how my situation goes and thankyou hopefully I will get it sorted! :)

sue m
29-07-2008, 02:08 PM
I'd just rather not work for family or friends but then that can make it difficult. I did once have a friends (single Dad) little boy and he really took the pee so I gave him a list of childminders and told him to ring a few up and he found a new one!!! We're still friends. :)

sarah707
29-07-2008, 03:37 PM
Working for friends and family can be a nightmare unfortunately.

I think you need to work very closely with the little boy, sit and play with him, find out how he ticks, give him attention and praise, if necessary shadow him and keep explaining how some behaviour at your house is totally unacceptable - including breaking things.

I hope this helps and makes a difference :D

angeldelight
29-07-2008, 09:27 PM
I agree with everyone else

But its early days - forget he is your friends child for a moment and treat him like you would any other - explain your rules etc and do not stand for that sort of behaviour

Start the way you mean to go on and hopefully he will settle down with you so it will not cause friction between you and your friend

Good luck keep us posted

Angel xxx

Gherkin
29-07-2008, 09:46 PM
I agree with everyone above. Just be very clear with her about your expectations of behaviour and how you manage it in your home and ensure that she is happy for you to doso with her son.

I have to say I am a rigth moo as I am always telling my friends children that in my home it is my rules and that is just when they visit.