PDA

View Full Version : help first ever parents visit

Kidston
25-08-2014, 07:06 PM
Help im a nervous wreck already!
Next Saturday I have some parents coming over for a visit for the 1st time. They have already asked me to care for their child starting the beginning of October and they are friend but i dont know them that well.

I feel really unprepared I have no idea what to say or where to start, Im hoping it will just come to me on the day!
Im trying to get all my paper work ready now welcome pack, sample learning journey, permission slips.

Can people please give me some tips.
Do you have a certain order you try and stick to to explain things to them?
What paperwork do you give them?

tulip0803
25-08-2014, 08:03 PM
I first registered in 2001 and I am still nervous every time a new parent comes to visit.

I start by talking about what they want, days and hours etc. I ask about the child and what they enjoy doing, whether they have any routines sleep food etc. I talk a bit about me, what we do during the week, I always sit on the floor with suitable toys and will play Sith them while I talk if the child is shy, eventually they join in. If the child is confident they normally go straight to the toys. I talk to the child whenever I am able.

I have my portfolio, policies and procedures out in case they want to view them, I have the contracts and forms out but prefer them to come a second time to complete but I have them ready in case. I never let them take an unsigned by us both contract home

My last new parent brought her mum who said she had been a childminder 20 years ago after 20 minutes she then said when she stopped childminding she became an inspector

gwm
25-08-2014, 08:05 PM
What is the purpose of their first visit? Is it just to have coffee and see your setting or is it to actually sign contract and policies?

If it is just a social visit then just put the kettle on and enjoy their company and show off your setting.

If it the second....I have a check list of contract, policies, time sheet sample, registration document, insurance documents, first aid certificate , SPA Poster, etc etc which I need to go through.

Tell them to bring the Red Book (Health Visitor Book). Allow 2-3 hours to go through all documentation and answer questions from parents. I photocopy anything that needs copying and give them to parents with copy of contract.

Be cool, calm and professional. Enjoy the first of many visits.

Kidston
02-09-2014, 12:42 PM
Well its kind of a mixture. Mum is a friend so knows my home and me. They have already said they want me to provide care for their child. But dad hasnt seen the house before so wants to have a look round and want to get an idea about what we will be doing and more information.

Im thinking I'll show them round and discuss what we will be getting up too. If they are happy with that and ive anwsered their questions they can sign paper work and can arrange a settling in sessions.

Paperwork I have is-
A welcome pack for them to take home
Policys for them to take home
All about me to fill out at home
Permissions form
Parental responsibility form
Child record form

Is there anything else ive forgot? Theres no contract as im not registered yet

gwm
02-09-2014, 01:31 PM
I don't know....would you be better to wait until you are registered to do all the paperwork? DO you think it will be soon? When would they be expecting their child to start with you?
I would also be showing parents(who are about to sign contract) my registration certificate, first aid certificate, ICO Certificate, PLI Certificate.....and, I show them sample Time Sheet/ Invoice/ Accident Book/ Compliment/Complaint Register.
Some of the other postees might have other opinions.

NinkyNonk
02-09-2014, 01:43 PM
I'm new to childminding, but the first time I had a parent round it was more because she wanted to meet me, see the house etc. She said there and then she wanted me....at this point I was waiting for Ofsted to come out and do my pre-reg, so I said once they had been I would contact her. Now I had a complete nightmare with Ofsted (which is another story!) but once they'd been I then arranged to pop round to her house to do the paperwork. This was so that her children would be happy playing in their own house while we did the boring stuff - if they'd have been here I think we'd have been distracted and taken ages to get it done! I did everything together, contacts - consent forms etc, then I left the policies with her and got her to sign that she'd read them at a later date.

Hope that makes sense! Have you heard when Ofsted are coming out?