PDA

View Full Version : can I mind with a level 3 childcare qualification?

amy28
23-08-2014, 05:43 PM
Hi All
Not sure if local authorities have different rules n regs but I'm from county Durham, does anyone know if I still need to do a childminding course if I have a level 3 childcare qual?
Thanks
Amy

tulip0803
23-08-2014, 07:07 PM
Hello and welcome

You will need to contact your LA - You will need to complete a pre registration course, in England from Sept this is due to be the Cache "Preparing to work in home-based childcare" even if you already have a level 3, your LA may run courses, they may advise you to do one online or from September in some areas you will have the choice of being an Independant Childminder registered with OFSTED or join a childminding agency that will register you for a fee (and continued fees as an agency childminder) .

Childminding is unlike any other form of childcare, You need to be aware of the regulations specific to childminding, as a lone worker you need to know how to protect you and your family from safeguarding allegations, in the event of a safeguarding allegation you need to know where to go to, where to get support should you need it, there is paperwork that as a child minder you need to know what to use and how, registers, contracts, child record forms, permissions, accounts, EYFS, accident forms, medications forms, etc

That said the fact you have a level 3 gives you a very good grounding in childcare & development

Good luck :thumbsup:

Rick
24-08-2014, 09:04 AM
Yes you will still need to to an LA course.

Some more info here

http://www.childmindinghelp.co.uk/forum/starting-childminding-pre-registration-visits/117176-registering-childminder-updated-06-2014-a.html

Simona
24-08-2014, 09:26 AM
Please make sure you read the EYFS 2014 and compare to what it says against EYFS 2012

In the EYFS 2012 training has to be LA approved for anyone starting childminding (p17 3.23)

In EYFS 2014 this has been removed and now says 'cms must have completed a training which helps them understand EYFS before they can register with Ofsted or a cm agency' (p21 3.24)
Check with your LA ...they may run these courses at a cost as do other providers who do it for new CMs

Also check the latest updates from Ofsted (20 August) on the registration to the Childcare and EY register...there are changes there

Ofsted | Search results: Resources (http://www.ofsted.gov.uk/resources/advanced-resources-search/results/%2A/19/all/any/34/any/%2A/20-08-2014/20-08-2014?solrsort=im_search_date_mktime%20desc)