PDA

View Full Version : How long did you give parents to get back to you re wanting a space

KateA
22-08-2014, 01:59 PM
Hi, I am fairly new to minding following one really bad expensive with my first mindee at start of the year I now feel ready to start.

Do you ask parents to let you know by a curtain date or just leave it up to them?

I am finding it really hard to get business at the moment :( I email local parents from Childcare.co.uk and never hear back from them, yet I can see they have logged in etc

I did get one family who wanted care but for me to work for two months before they could afford to pay me! My policy is money up front or no care
so turned them down and they were really surprised.

x

Kiddleywinks
22-08-2014, 02:38 PM
Stick to your rules, no fees = no care

They probably weren't that surprised, I doubt anyone would have the confidence in a complete stranger to work for 2 months for no money :laughing:

I tell parents after the initial visit that I work on a first come first served basis, so would appreciate a quick call or text just so I know one way or the other. If I've not heard back within a week, I take it it's a no and move on.
Some minders advise that they have other people coming/interested so need to know by xx date, which might work for you if you hate waiting lol

Try not to be too disheartened, I had nothing for 6 months - loads of visits and enquiries, but no actual work, it was very frustrating, and was beginning to think I needed to change my deodorant ;)

loocyloo
22-08-2014, 04:11 PM
I've just had a mum who wanted a space, returned a form to accept space very quickly but i was going away and so were they .. All back as of yesterday and we were signing contracts tonight .. I text to confirm tonight and she has replied to say doesn't want space now!
Hey Ho ... I had a little bit of an iffy feeling so happier but grrr at the same time.

toddlers896
25-08-2014, 08:27 AM
My my experience some parents don't get back to you even if you ask them too. I wouldn't wait on them. If you get offered other work take it and if you don't then don't be disheartened because somebody will eventually come along. You win some, you loose some. Ime sometimes glad when people don't get back to me as I didn't get a good vibe but would hate to say no :thumbsup:

smurfette
25-08-2014, 10:08 AM
I've just had a mum who wanted a space, returned a form to accept space very quickly but i was going away and so were they .. All back as of yesterday and we were signing contracts tonight .. I text to confirm tonight and she has replied to say doesn't want space now! Hey Ho ... I had a little bit of an iffy feeling so happier but grrr at the same time.

Oh loocyloo that sucks.. Hope u fill space soon

loocyloo
25-08-2014, 10:49 AM
Oh loocyloo that sucks.. Hope u fill space soon

Lol ... The parent who had given notice therefore freeing up that space had asked for it back and I'd had to say no ... But I text her yesterday and she is having it back ( but on my terms ... so slightly longer hours and term time only! ) ;-)

smurfette
25-08-2014, 12:49 PM
[QUOTE="loocyloo;1375528"] Lol ... The parent who had given notice therefore freeing up that space had asked for it back and I'd had to say no ... But I text her yesterday and she is having it back ( but on my terms ... so slightly longer hours and term time only! ) ;-)[/QUOTE
Well done sticking to your guns win win!