PDA

View Full Version : Two nights waiting for a potential parent visit

FussyElmo
21-08-2014, 04:33 PM
and still a no show.

But you know when you get that feeling that they are not coming.

shortstuff
21-08-2014, 04:33 PM
Thats shocking. Hope you give them what for if they try to arrange another time x

FussyElmo
21-08-2014, 04:38 PM
Thats shocking. Hope you give them what for if they try to arrange another time x

Well I was that confident she wasn't coming there is nothing out, no contracts, policies nothing. It would have been a nice contract but there is that little voice saying beware so I think its saved me from having to say no.

Mouse
21-08-2014, 05:14 PM
It's so frustrating when they don't turn up. Luckily I haven't had it happen for a while, but there have been times I've been caught out the other way - I've doubted the parents will turn up, so haven't gone to any trouble, only for them to turn up bang on time :laughing:

shortstuff
21-08-2014, 06:08 PM
Well I was that confident she wasn't coming there is nothing out, no contracts, policies nothing. It would have been a nice contract but there is that little voice saying beware so I think its saved me from having to say no.

Fair enough then x

chris goodyear
21-08-2014, 06:15 PM
Hate it when that happens, we've probably all been there, I think it is just plain rude and disrespectful. I would say you had a lucky escape!

Simona
22-08-2014, 08:38 AM
Incidents like this are a golden opportunity to remind parents that a professional partnership and relationship starts with basic good manners and is a 2 way system

Hopefully you will have a contact number or email...personally I always make sure I take those before I arrange any meetings and visits to my setting.... and I would send a polite message saying you have no alternative but to move on and wish them luck in finding suitable care elsewhere

These days there is a lot of emphasis on how parents find it difficult to navigate through the childcare maze to find what they want but ...there is always another side to any story

Kiddleywinks
22-08-2014, 08:50 AM
Gut instinct with potential parents is not generally wrong.

I expect no shows these days, and that's fair enough to a point, if parents have several potential minders to visit before getting to me, I understand if they find a good fit parents will probably stop looking, however, there is no excuse for rudeness and bad manners.

It takes less than a minute to text 'Thanks for your time, but I no longer need to visit' especially when you know the parent pretty much has the phone glued to their hand 90% of the day (based on the speed of previous responses to texts)

FussyElmo
22-08-2014, 08:57 AM
Incidents like this are a golden opportunity to remind parents that a professional partnership and relationship starts with basic good manners and is a 2 way system

Hopefully you will have a contact number or email...personally I always make sure I take those before I arrange any meetings and visits to my setting.... and I would send a polite message saying you have no alternative but to move on and wish them luck in finding suitable care elsewhere

These days there is a lot of emphasis on how parents find it difficult to navigate through the childcare maze to find what they want but ...there is always another side to any story

Well she sent an apologetic email this morning saying she had forgot :rolleyes: And wanted to arrange for 12 noon today and was most put out whne I said that I had plans and couldn't make that time.

I did send her the link to childcare.co.uk but seeing as she wants to leave one of the after school clubs and come to a childminder I wish her the best seeing as at the moment im the only cm who works that particular school:laughing:

Simona
22-08-2014, 09:14 AM
Just try to reverse those 2 examples and think of what would happen...IF
CM arranges parents to visit but...cm forgets and goes out... when parents knock on the door there is no reply!

CM has many parents visiting but in the middle of the visits she decides one family is really what she wants but.... she forgets to email the other parents, still due to visit, to tell them that the place has gone....

I can guess the response!

Kiddleywinks
22-08-2014, 09:23 AM
Once is excusable, twice, much less so, for parent OR minder, although I would hope a minder would be less rude and bad mannered as to not keep a parent informed.

Mouse
22-08-2014, 09:37 AM
After the first no- show I do try to give parents the benefit of the doubt and let them make another appointment. In the past there have been genuine reasons why they haven't turned up or haven't been able to let me know they're not coming, so I do understand.

I'm afraid though, if they say they forgot, I don't give a second chance. How can you make an arrangement to visit someone about looking after your child, then forget? I wouldn't want to work with someone who has so little regard for what I do that they just forget :panic:

mum67
22-08-2014, 11:11 PM
After the first no- show I do try to give parents the benefit of the doubt and let them make another appointment. In the past there have been genuine reasons why they haven't turned up or haven't been able to let me know they're not coming, so I do understand.

I'm afraid though, if they say they forgot, I don't give a second chance. How can you make an arrangement to visit someone about looking after your child, then forget? I wouldn't want to work with someone who has so little regard for what I do that they just forget :panic:

if they can forget an appointment to arrange childcare, dodge them quickly, they will most probably forget to pick up their darling child on a friday night and only remember Monday morning when the school rings and asks why they are absent:laughing::laughing:

mum67
22-08-2014, 11:15 PM
P.S I am still waiting for my DO to visit since June and still she never phones, she never writes oh how lonely my life is without her, not, I have the magnificent forum members who are nurturing me brilliantly and professionally:thumbsup: