PDA

View Full Version : feeding time

Charmaine86
21-08-2014, 11:37 AM
I would greatly appreciate some advice I have a 6month old baby who I look after and when I am feeding her, her dinner she spits it out all the time like she's blowing raspberries is there any thing I can do to try and stop her from doing as im constantly covered in baby food lol

AliceK
21-08-2014, 11:54 AM
Can you try giving her finger food rather than "wet" food for a while?

xxx

Charmaine86
21-08-2014, 01:38 PM
I could try mentioning it to her mum and see what she says

Charmaine86
21-08-2014, 02:23 PM
Even tried with a biscuit and does the same thing

hectors house
21-08-2014, 02:52 PM
I always ask the parents to come at the end of a settling in session and stay to feed the baby their lunch, this way I can see the texture and quantity, feel the temperature and see how the parents actually do feed the baby - it may be that your little one has a parent who laughs when she blows raspberries in her lunch. I would just shake my head and say firmly "ah ah" and make sure the older children don't encourage her by laughing. Oh and get yourself a big apron!

tulip0803
21-08-2014, 03:03 PM
I have a 6 month old boy who is also doing this. I am covering him in a huge bib and I am wearing an apron at the moment. I have noticed if I hold the spoon in his mouth a moment longer than I would normally do he is less likely to blow raspberries. He also does it with finger food. I think they are still trying to work out the best way to eat food - I am hoping it won't last long.

Charmaine86
21-08-2014, 03:38 PM
My little one as been doing it for about a month now I have tried leaving spoon in a little longer and giving a little break in between mouth fulls but still don't work. I think I will have to get myself a big plastic apron

bunyip
22-08-2014, 07:40 AM
Am watching this with interest.

I'm settling an 11mo prior to regular days from September. This baby will lick soft foods off something (eg. lick hummous or spready cheese off a rice cake, which is then discarded.) Will take 1-2 mouthfuls of anything pureed and sweet, such as fruit or yoghurt.) But the usual weaning fodder (baby pasta/rice, etc.) gets spat or sprayed out like the OP's mindee.

As far as I can tell, she's been trying baby-led since 6mo, but has had little success. Baby will 'bite' finger foods with her gums only to drop them from her mouth. It's like she sees it as something fun to do, but nothing to do with eating. She then fills up on milk, so is really not weaning at all. What you might call "baby-led playing with your food." :(

Health visitor has told mum to severely reduce the amount of milk, but continue with finger foods, and not to try much in the way of purees and 'mush'. Mum seems so obsessed with the promises of BLW that she is following HV advice, but at the same time worried: with milk feeds cut by half or more, where will baby get nutirtion unless she suddenly starts eating the finger foods, and she isn't.

I've only had settling visits and obviousl they have tears cos missing mum. But she does strike me as hungry a lot of the time and not satisfied with small milk portion, but not actually eating fingr foods and not learnt to swallow mush/lumpy stuff either.

It strikes me that mum and HV are somehow hoping to achieve a quantum leap from where baby is now to where she is 'supposed' to be with nothing in between. But how can she go from mostly milk to finger-food solids when she already shows no ability to eat the solids? They seem to thing by withdrawing the milk they'll starve her into submission, for want of a better phrase.

The soft foods she'll lick off a rice cake suggest she could cope with old-fashioned mush-led weaning, given time and a gentle transition. My untrained, unqualified (but it's usually worked before) approach would be to use baby rice and similar mush, mixed with the milk she's used to. But (Catch 22) there's not going to be enough milk supplied for her to drink, never mind any spare to mix up with her food. :panic:

Charmaine86
22-08-2014, 07:49 AM
My lil loves her food she will eat a full jar of dinner and pudding but throughout eating blow raspberries and giggle

hectors house
22-08-2014, 08:09 AM
Am watching this with interest.

I'm settling an 11mo prior to regular days from September. This baby will lick soft foods off something (eg. lick hummous or spready cheese off a rice cake, which is then discarded.) Will take 1-2 mouthfuls of anything pureed and sweet, such as fruit or yoghurt.) But the usual weaning fodder (baby pasta/rice, etc.) gets spat or sprayed out like the OP's mindee.

As far as I can tell, she's been trying baby-led since 6mo, but has had little success. Baby will 'bite' finger foods with her gums only to drop them from her mouth. It's like she sees it as something fun to do, but nothing to do with eating. She then fills up on milk, so is really not weaning at all. What you might call "baby-led playing with your food." :(

Health visitor has told mum to severely reduce the amount of milk, but continue with finger foods, and not to try much in the way of purees and 'mush'. Mum seems so obsessed with the promises of BLW that she is following HV advice, but at the same time worried: with milk feeds cut by half or more, where will baby get nutirtion unless she suddenly starts eating the finger foods, and she isn't.

I've only had settling visits and obviousl they have tears cos missing mum. But she does strike me as hungry a lot of the time and not satisfied with small milk portion, but not actually eating fingr foods and not learnt to swallow mush/lumpy stuff either.

It strikes me that mum and HV are somehow hoping to achieve a quantum leap from where baby is now to where she is 'supposed' to be with nothing in between. But how can she go from mostly milk to finger-food solids when she already shows no ability to eat the solids? They seem to thing by withdrawing the milk they'll starve her into submission, for want of a better phrase.

The soft foods she'll lick off a rice cake suggest she could cope with old-fashioned mush-led weaning, given time and a gentle transition. My untrained, unqualified (but it's usually worked before) approach would be to use baby rice and similar mush, mixed with the milk she's used to. But (Catch 22) there's not going to be enough milk supplied for her to drink, never mind any spare to mix up with her food. :panic:

Could you buy a carton of the brand of milk mum uses and try it your way or liquidize the food mum sends mixed with water if needed - makes me cross that parents often believe Health Visitors (my HV didn't even have children of her own) and don't listen to advice from people who have years of experience.:(

Kiddleywinks
22-08-2014, 08:42 AM
Agree with Hector

I always gave baby rice before any bottle for both of mine working on the basis that the bottle would fill them up so they'd be less inclined to want to try the effort of eating lol

bunyip
22-08-2014, 08:47 AM
I might just have to do that HH, though the thought of it feels a bit like going behind mum's back. Still, if it's that or let baby go hungry......... what can I do?

Tbh the idea of buying baby milk goes against the grain the moment. I have a (different) mum who is insisting on her right to free milk for her lo, despite the fact they are nearly 1 yo and so the formla milk entitlement will stop within weeks. As Mouse calculated on another thread, it's not worth buying a £10 carton of powder, and better to offer a 30p refund every day - if only to show how petty the mum is to stand on her rights to this length. :p

Geting back to my weaning mum: I wish I'd been a fly on the wall at the HV meeting. I don't honestly know if mum is following the HV's advice or if mum left very few options for the HV cos mum is so set on the fashionable BLW weaning idea, whether it's working or no in her case. :huh: She's an exceptionally nervous mum but seems to be quite stubborn on anything she's read somewhere.

smurfette
22-08-2014, 09:18 AM
[QUOTE="bunyip;1375233"]I might just have to do that HH, though the thought of it feels a bit like going behind mum's back. Still, if it's that or let baby go hungry......... what can I do? Tbh the idea of buying baby milk goes against the grain the moment. I have a (different) mum who is insisting on her right to free milk for her lo, despite the fact they are nearly 1 yo and so the formla milk entitlement will stop within weeks. As Mouse calculated on another thread, it's not worth buying a £10 carton of powder, and better to offer a 30p refund every day - if only to show how petty the mum is to stand on her rights to this length. :p Geting back to my weaning mum: I wish I'd been a fly on the wall at the HV meeting. I don't honestly know if mum is following the HV's advice or if mum left very few options for the HV cos mum is so set on the fashionable BLW weaning idea, whether it's working or no in her case. :huh: She's an exceptionally nervous mum but seems to be quite stubborn on anything she's read somewhere.[/QUOTE
That's a very difficult one cos baby is going to be very hard to settle with you if she Is hungry.. I have experienced this before!! They need to be well rested and well fed to feel happy like the rest of us! Think I may try HHS idea in your shoes and if it works worry about broaching it with mum then. You can buy single portion ready made milk for about a pound I think may worth a try

Mouse
22-08-2014, 09:53 AM
My lil loves her food she will eat a full jar of dinner and pudding but throughout eating blow raspberries and giggle

It sounds like it's a habit she's got into. I guess she's maybe done it at home, parents have laughed and thought how cute it is (it probably was the first couple of times!), and now it's stuck. She's obviously happy eating and this is her way of sharing her joy with you!

Have you tried saying "no" when she does it, or introducing a new habit? After you put a spoonful of food in her mouth say "yum yum yum", or anything that distracts her from blowing raspberries.

Charmaine86
22-08-2014, 11:58 AM
Mouse I have tried alsorts with her I think its just finding that little thing that will break the habit

hectors house
22-08-2014, 12:38 PM
Mouse I have tried alsorts with her I think its just finding that little thing that will break the habit

How about saying "No" and putting the bowl and spoon back on the table and saying "yum yum" when she doesn't blow the raspberries - using pavlov's theory hopefully baby will associate No means I don't get any more lunch for a minute and yum yum means I don't blow a raspberry and I get another spoonful quicker.

hectors house
22-08-2014, 12:40 PM
I might just have to do that HH, though the thought of it feels a bit like going behind mum's back. Still, if it's that or let baby go hungry......... what can I do?

Tbh the idea of buying baby milk goes against the grain the moment. I have a (different) mum who is insisting on her right to free milk for her lo, despite the fact they are nearly 1 yo and so the formla milk entitlement will stop within weeks. As Mouse calculated on another thread, it's not worth buying a £10 carton of powder, and better to offer a 30p refund every day - if only to show how petty the mum is to stand on her rights to this length. :p

Geting back to my weaning mum: I wish I'd been a fly on the wall at the HV meeting. I don't honestly know if mum is following the HV's advice or if mum left very few options for the HV cos mum is so set on the fashionable BLW weaning idea, whether it's working or no in her case. :huh: She's an exceptionally nervous mum but seems to be quite stubborn on anything she's read somewhere.

I would just try the ready made cartons - don't know how long you can keep them in fridge for though - or maybe you could freeze some into ice cubes and just use a couple for each meal.

KateA
22-08-2014, 02:21 PM
Hi I will watching this post just in case I come across this issue, my last mindee was one and did not understand solid food at all I was giving him up to five full bottles each day! I do not supply any formula so glad this was not at my expensive.

He was not interested in any food which his parents were concerned about but at same time would not hear of dropping any bottles to see if he would eat, just got the reply we will get there one day when we are not at work!. The poor little thing was gummpy and screaming at me everyday all day and never settled.

x

alex__17
22-08-2014, 07:29 PM
Bunyip without reading everything else my own son (now 2) was v similar to the 11mo old you describe.
I weaned him at 6mo with both purees and finger food but he spat everything out until probably 8/9 months old, v frustrating as you feel like they're getting nothing! We ended up bypassing the mush stage as he never ate it and went onto things like fish pie well mashed with a fork which he could pick up or stick to spoon, but he didn't really reduce milk until he was 13-14 months old, def well over a year old.
I was also advised to starve the milk to get him to eat, it didn't work he cried because he was hungry and just preferred his milk and I gave up after a few days and just kept offering food and then topping up with milk after. Gradually he ate more and drank less milk, at 2 he'd still happily guzzle milk and fill up on that if I let him but obviously I don't as I know he likes food!
Keep offering it, they all get there in their own time