PDA

View Full Version : Early Years Events becoming too expensive for childminders?

Jiorjiina
19-08-2014, 01:25 PM
Is anyone else finding that some Early Years events that are being marketed to include childminders are actually way too expensive to actually attend?

Our local support organisation (who are currently council funded, but are one of the ones looking at setting up a childminding agency) are planning to run a one day conference next year for which the entry fee will be £60.

There is an Nursery Education show being put on at at a local arena which would cost me, for two days, £150. It's also planned for a Friday and Saturday, which would mean that I could only attend one day anyway!

Local nursery chains might be able to afford to send delegates to attend, but how on earth are most childminders meant to be able to afford to go to some of these things? Those two events together are basically my training budget for an entire year!

Simona
19-08-2014, 02:49 PM
Is anyone else finding that some Early Years events that are being marketed to include childminders are actually way too expensive to actually attend?

Our local support organisation (who are currently council funded, but are one of the ones looking at setting up a childminding agency) are planning to run a one day conference next year for which the entry fee will be £60.

There is an Nursery Education show being put on at at a local arena which would cost me, for two days, £150. It's also planned for a Friday and Saturday, which would mean that I could only attend one day anyway!

Local nursery chains might be able to afford to send delegates to attend, but how on earth are most childminders meant to be able to afford to go to some of these things? Those two events together are basically my training budget for an entire year!

Good to see this discussion here ...there is one on LinkedIn on the same lines which involves CMs and others in the EY sector such as training providers etc etc

The very issue has been raised on cost ....as you say preschools and nurseries can send their staff and all they have to do is get supply cover
This is not the same for CMs who have to lose a days' income by taking a day off, if they have a back up CM that can work but it is not guaranteed a place will be available

Most conferences are during the week and often organised by the very organisations that flag up More Affordable Childcare at every opportunity
Here is an example which has just arrived in my inbox
4 Children conference on Pupil Premium...cost £260 + VAT

Getting ready for the Early Years Pupil Premium (http://www.4children.org.uk/Event/Detail/Getting-ready-for-the-Early-Years-Pupil-Premium)

LAs too charge quite a bit...around £60 is normal for a day's attendance. Mine charges £100 per day or £50 for half day training
And then we have private providers whose charges are rather high although they can deliver training targeted at our needs

This is what the 'childcare market' has created but trainers have to remember a CM's purse is not as large as a day nursery