PDA

View Full Version : Half of LAs fail to secure free childcare

Simona
19-08-2014, 08:40 AM
As 1st September gets closer some LAs have not been able to secure enough spaces for 2 year olds entitled to the 15 hours of 'free childcare'...or giving it its real name 'subsidised education'
The first wave of 130,000 children rises to 260,000 in 2 weeks' time...I thought the figures had been revised to 285,000 recently because other children in need were added such as those in care or with SEND

One of the reasons mentioned is that Ofsted is yet to grade providers but I think there are other reasons behind it such as the funding...which is possibly ok for 2 year olds then drops to unacceptable levels when children get to age 3
Another reason is the added conditions some LAs are still imposing on CMs
What is not mentioned is that LAs will only be paid by 'result' from Sept...on the actual places secured which means loss of funding for them

Do you know if your LA has secured all the spaces required?
are you getting emails from your LA asking you to help to signpost parents to the info on how to claim the free hours?

Exclusive: Half of councils fail to secure sufficient free childcare places | Children & Young People Now (http://www.cypnow.co.uk/cyp/news/1146073/exclusive-half-councils-fail-secure-sufficient-free-childcare)

Chatterbox Childcare
19-08-2014, 09:09 AM
My local childrens centre just sent out 1500 "postcards" to parents - enquiries are slowly trickling through.

Mouse
19-08-2014, 09:13 AM
For a while now our LA has been throwing grants at anyone who will offer funded places for 2 year olds. We have had an increase in group providers opening purely for 2 year olds. I drove down one street just last week and noticed a house completely decked out as a centre for funded 2 year olds. It looked fab from the outside, but it don't know anything about who's running it.

Most of the cms I know who want to take on 2 year olds are full, so I think the LA is focussing on these bigger group settings. It's a bit worrying that they have no proven track record and possibly little experience.

FussyElmo
19-08-2014, 09:16 AM
Our la keep telling me that I live in a hotspot where there is a shortage of 2 year spaces - and yet the phone doesn't ring. Think last year 2 childminders had 2yos. So we have space just not the children to fill them :(

suzy:-)
19-08-2014, 09:42 AM
Hi all, I'm new to this 2 year free funding as I've only provided afterschool care for a few years and my very first inspection was 'satisfactory' so I'm not even able to offer this.
My question is , do you feel the nurserys are going to eventually take away childminding business ? Or will it be a case for me if I do take early years children again I will take them or pick them up from the 3 free hours.
Is every 2 year old entitled to the funding?
Suzy:-)

FussyElmo
19-08-2014, 09:47 AM
Hi all, I'm new to this 2 year free funding as I've only provided afterschool care for a few years and my very first inspection was 'satisfactory' so I'm not even able to offer this.
My question is , do you feel the nurserys are going to eventually take away childminding business ? Or will it be a case for me if I do take early years children again I will take them or pick them up from the 3 free hours.
Is every 2 year old entitled to the funding?
Suzy:-)

Not every 2 year old is entitled there is criteria.

Will nurseries take away childminding business - no we have co existed aside each other for many years we offer different childcare options :)

Simona
19-08-2014, 10:14 AM
Here is the criteria for funding including 2 year olds...I am sure there is an updated version but this one is still valid
Also your LA will have published one on their website and procedures for parents to claim...if not ring them to get one sent to you
In my LA parents of 2 year olds have to approach us and then we fill in all the forms...when the Pupil Premium kicks in there are additional details we need to have from parents...this is specified in the current consultation on PP and 2 yo funding

https://www.gov.uk/free-early-education

are nurseries and preschools taking away CMs business?
My experience is that they are certainly expanding their services into wraparound care and holiday care
It is worth liaising with those providers in your area and work together on this because the wraparound care has changed and we are now in a 'childcare market'

In addition schools will also expand their services into wraparound care...many already offer this... and many will open 8-6pm as encouraged to do by the DfE for the holidays

Pixie dust
19-08-2014, 10:17 AM
I have had 2 children receive the 2 year old funding but they were already with me and then they met the criteria. I am in a town classed as high deprivation and there have been a couple of new nurseries set up through local council grants. My friend is a preschool manager and is full with funded 2 and 3 year olds. I think nurseries are pushed more at parents as an option than childminders.

Simona
19-08-2014, 10:59 AM
I have had 2 children receive the 2 year old funding but they were already with me and then they met the criteria. I am in a town classed as high deprivation and there have been a couple of new nurseries set up through local council grants. My friend is a preschool manager and is full with funded 2 and 3 year olds. I think nurseries are pushed more at parents as an option than childminders.

There are probably various reasons behind that

1. in the past only a few Network Accredited CMs were able to do the funding...not anymore but some parents are still unaware the policy has changed and networks are gone

2. Nurseries and preschools do not have the amount of conditions imposed on CMs...they have accessed funding in the past regardless of grade from Ofsted.
If they are now graded RI/inadequate the EY team step in with support

3. The funding is now open to CMs with Good/outstanding grades but LAs continue to impose conditions that are irrelevant and go against DfE guidance including a requirement for Level 3 which is not understood by LAs but we can understand they want these children with qualified practitioners

4. Parents maybe unaware they can mix the free hours accessing some from preschool and the rest from a CM

5. Many parents believe that children need to be in a larger group to 'get ready for school'...that is relevant but once the children go to school parents have to start searching for wraparound care...so they are back to square one

6. vulnerable 2 year olds benefit from smaller groups and high ratio which CMs offer but not enough Cms are coming forward to draw funding because the amount is a bit tricky when children get to 3 years of age despite the big campaign by 4Children and other bodies to promote cms

7. Those parents requiring only 3 hours of free childcare put CMs in a difficult situation because we cannot ...or find it difficult...to fill the space in the holidays

Plenty more reasons but those are the main ones...my view of course

Tazmin68
19-08-2014, 11:46 AM
I was at a meeting which was about the new early years pupil premium consultation which is just about to end and we all agreed that the deprivation top up should be abolished and that should be incorporated within the 3 year old basic funding hopefully raising it enough that it is now at least the same or higher than a childminders normal hourly rate. Then hopefully the childcare provision would be there for both the 2 year olds and the 3 year olds but unless enough providers bother to input the consultation then there is no way the funding fir 3 year olds will increase. So only ourselves to blame.