PDA

View Full Version : Moving to smaller house & not sure how parents will feel

MrsP2C
16-08-2014, 09:24 PM
Bit of an unusual situation in that we going to have to down-size due to change in financial circumstances and I'm worried how current families will feel given I'm fairly sure one of the big attractions to using me in the first place was our lovely big house & garden plus being walking distance to school/nursery. We would leave behind a big (but actually not very child-friendly) garden, huge living space where the kids can run around, play hide & seek, use ride-ons etc, quiet no through road with drive & probably most importantly a playroom.

Whilst sad to leave, the sort of house we are likely to end up in (conventional 3 bed Victorian semi) will suit us as a family really well and I think would be a positive move for us emotional & financially as our financial situation has been/is quite stressful and we looking forward to enjoying life a bit more (& might even manage a holiday next year :D). I'm very conscious that childminding from a much smaller space & having to do the school run by car will be harder for me but I wondered how you (as a parent) would feel if your cm made this sort of move or any ideas how I can sell the move as a positive for their child without divulging our financial difficulties! We would be moving to neighbouring village which is closer to most of my families so easier for drop-off & collection but so far that's the only positive I can think of.

Do you think there will be an expectation for drop in fees or concerns about space as with schoolies I work to capacity most days term time.
Any thoughts most welcome.

Koala
17-08-2014, 07:11 AM
Definitely no drop in fees. The service they pay for, is for your skills unless you charge extra for tennis courts, sauna, swimming pool? And as you are still available, don't undersell yourself.

I would just say that you are moving forward and the house suits you all a lot better - focus on the positives and how your service will not change and you will involve the children in your moving experience, an extra that not all childcare services can provide, point out you are moving closer to everyone :laughing: longer lie ins in the morning for parents :laughing: off course there may be hick ups at first but you'll sort them out. :thumbsup:

The reasons of your financial circumstances are nobodies business so don't divulge, keep everything positive, positive, positive. And look forward to your hols :thumbsup: .

P.s. good luck in cramming all your childminding junk :D in to your new house. :thumbsup:

alex__17
17-08-2014, 07:11 AM
Coming from the view of a parent as I've only been childminding a few months and before that my boy was with a childminder while I worked in London, don't underestimate closer drop off and collection, that was a major major thing for me, I didn't want to be driving out of the way as at the end of the working day all you want to do is get your child and get home as quick as poss so I would have thought being closer for parents will be a good thing for all of them.
Also they may have liked your big house and garden, but ultimately they'll have chosen you because they liked you, not your house, when I was choosing a childminder we also looked at nurseries where they obviously had massive gardens every toy under the sun etc and sme childminders like that too, but it came down to who I liked as a person the best and who I thought 'parented' the most like me if that makes sense! Don't sell yourself short, your parents picked you not your house, and you'll have plenty of space in new house, just keep rotating toys, we are in a 3 bed semi and there's still room for ride ons indoors, we just don't have the car garage and rocking horse etc out at the same time! But the kids prefer that, I rotate the big stuff and its like its brand new when they see it again a few weeks later :-)
If outdoor space is a problem are there local parks etc you can get to so the kids still have plenty of chance to run about and explore?

Maza
17-08-2014, 09:30 AM
Excellent advice already given. Definitely no drop in fees. Lots of our local nurseries and private schools are increasing their fees for September and so your parents are at least not facing a rise! My daughter's classroom was being modernised and so for a couple of terms she was in a temporary make shift classroom but we didn't get a reduction in fees (and didn't expect one), so don't worry, the parents might not analyse it as much as you would think. If any of them do decide not to use you then the positives if the move still outweigh the negatives for your family. Use the opportunity to have a good clear out of your child minding stuff, like the rest of us you probably don't need half the stuff you have! My daughter started school in the next village and I don't drive. Suddenly I had to inform parents that I would now have to incorporate a school journey there an back by bus each afternoon. I really thought they were going to give notice but they responded so positively. They thought it would be a great adventure every day as their children only ever travel by car. All the stressing I did over how to word the letter to them! Good luck, let us know how you get on! x

MrsP2C
17-08-2014, 09:43 AM
Thank you all so much I was so worried it would be seen as a real negative but can now see closer drop-offs, smaller but safer (level, totally secure confined) garden & rotating toys could be a good thing. Tbh I do think just telling them I'm moving & not worrying about the fact I'm down-sizing is the way forward

bunyip
17-08-2014, 10:03 AM
Coming from the view of a parent as I've only been childminding a few months and before that my boy was with a childminder while I worked in London, don't underestimate closer drop off and collection, that was a major major thing for me, I didn't want to be driving out of the way as at the end of the working day all you want to do is get your child and get home as quick as poss so I would have thought being closer for parents will be a good thing for all of them.
Also they may have liked your big house and garden, but ultimately they'll have chosen you because they liked you, not your house, when I was choosing a childminder we also looked at nurseries where they obviously had massive gardens every toy under the sun etc and sme childminders like that too, but it came down to who I liked as a person the best and who I thought 'parented' the most like me if that makes sense! Don't sell yourself short, your parents picked you not your house, and you'll have plenty of space in new house, just keep rotating toys, we are in a 3 bed semi and there's still room for ride ons indoors, we just don't have the car garage and rocking horse etc out at the same time! But the kids prefer that, I rotate the big stuff and its like its brand new when they see it again a few weeks later :-)
If outdoor space is a problem are there local parks etc you can get to so the kids still have plenty of chance to run about and explore?

I agree. OK, the premises is part of the deal, but it's only a small part: less significant than you as a person they can trust with their child. Tbh, if a parent objects and says the larger premises were really all that important to the service they were getting, I'd come back with something along the lines of:"well, if I'd realised it was that important, I'd have been charging more at the old, larger house."

It might also be worth thinking about when you last had a fee increase. If it wasn't recently, then remind any moaners that you've held fees down for ## amount of time, which more than makes up for any perceived reduction in value that comes with the smaller space.

The reduced journey time alone will probably add up to a big plus for parents. I do get some clients from further afield (covered by 4 different LAs) probably cos I'm offering some things most CMs prefer to avoid. But, on the whole, I remain surprised by the very small distances some parents are prepared to travel. I think one of the most regular reasons parents cite for not using my service is "it's too far to travel" - frequently from people whose houses I could walk to in 20 minutes and they have a car! I strongly suspect that at least 1 dreadful nursery and several CMs in the next town are only in business because of their location, to the extent where I know some CMs regard me as "poaching" from "their territory" cos I have clients who live in the same/adjacent street to where the CMs live. :(

blue bear
17-08-2014, 10:35 AM
You will be closer to them,things will be the same if a little different,but same carer, same resources same routine,same home from home experience.
Don't under estimate the positive out look of having their children driven to school and not having to walk in all weathers.
So the house is smaller, makes it easier to ensure they are all with insight and hearing at all times, you say it's in a nearby village so is there more countryside?more opportunity for country walks,different lifestyle?

I wouldn't expect they would expect a decrease in fees,with the transporting to school in your car they might be worried you will increase,so a reassurance you are not planning to increase fees in The near future is another selling point.

Ripeberry
17-08-2014, 11:30 AM
When my own were little my CM moved 3 times! But I always stayed with her, even when the journey was longer. It was the CM who mattered not where she lived :thumbsup:

AliceK
17-08-2014, 02:22 PM
When I was choosing a childminder for my DS I wasn't bothered about how big their house was, for me it was a gut instinct on the childminder. I'm sure your parents love you and it wont matter to them what house you live in so don't feel you need to explain anything really.

xxx