PDA

View Full Version : Foster carers/childminders

Happiness
15-08-2014, 12:53 PM
Hi lovely people :)
Are there any foster carers- childminders on here? I would love to hear about your experiences ( positive or negative) as I am thinking of becoming a foster parent :)
TIA xxxx

AliceK
15-08-2014, 12:55 PM
I have looked into this and have yet to find any agency who will let you foster alongside childminding so you would need to decide to do one or the other but not both.

xx

watford wizz
15-08-2014, 01:21 PM
I combine both, find it works well. Had been minding for local authority for some time so it wasn't a big jump from childminding to fostering for us. I did have to fight a lot of preconceived ideas on both fronts and make some "sensible" decisions about what we could offer regards to type of children and ages and special needs x

AliceK
15-08-2014, 01:31 PM
I combine both, find it works well. Had been minding for local authority for some time so it wasn't a big jump from childminding to fostering for us. I did have to fight a lot of preconceived ideas on both fronts and make some "sensible" decisions about what we could offer regards to type of children and ages and special needs x

Can I ask who you foster with? Is it direct with LA or through an agency? Only I have been told no end of times that you cannot combine both and if I were to give up childminding I would need to make financial provision for times when I do not have any foster children and I have been told that I cannot do adhoc childminding but they suggested bank nursery work (not sure they understand what adhoc means tbh)

xxx

rickysmiths
15-08-2014, 02:15 PM
I know a very experienced cm in Worcestershire who has become a Foster Carer with her Husband earlier this year and still childminds. It is working well for her at the moment but I have no idea who she has done it through.

mum67
15-08-2014, 02:27 PM
I know a very experienced cm in Worcestershire who has become a Foster Carer with her Husband earlier this year and still childminds. It is working well for her at the moment but I have no idea who she has done it through.

Yes I was about to say the same person Rickysmiths, if it's the lady who got outstanding achievement to nursery years we are thinking of the same person, not sure if I am allowed to put her name on here though. Her website is brilliant and I love her blogs.

If you are right aliceK then why do these authorities think we can't childmind and foster at the same time, is it because there may be a child with many issues who is in foster care that it could impact on the mindees, if so what's the difference from having a shall I say demanding child of our own but still working as a chilldminder.

I would phone the relevant people and ask their advice because sometimes people you ask just assume they know what they are talking about and all local authorities are different in what they do and don't allow. Before you ask for advice from an agency I would ring the LA and ask them.

Good Luck

mum67
15-08-2014, 02:31 PM
Actually I do see the difference because with our own demanding children we have an idea what's going on but some of the foster children have been through so much pain and trauma in their little lives they must feel tormented with the feelings, thoughts and memories they have to deal with.

It is very different from childminding because of the background they have.

AliceK
15-08-2014, 02:39 PM
Yes I was about to say the same person Rickysmiths, if it's the lady who got outstanding achievement to nursery years we are thinking of the same person, not sure if I am allowed to put her name on here though. Her website is brilliant and I love her blogs.

If you are right aliceK then why do these authorities think we can't childmind and foster at the same time, is it because there may be a child with many issues who is in foster care that it could impact on the mindees, if so what's the difference from having a shall I say demanding child of our own but still working as a chilldminder.

I would phone the relevant people and ask their advice because sometimes people you ask just assume they know what they are talking about and all local authorities are different in what they do and don't allow. Before you ask for advice from an agency I would ring the LA and ask them.

Good Luck

I haven't spoken to LA only with agencies who all said childminding is a no go. They have said it's because they try and match a foster child with any children whom you may have yourself but if you also have childminded children in the house then they can't match with those. Doesn't really make a lot of sense to me tbh. Maybe I should speak to my LA, they might be more approachable.
xx

lizduncan72
15-08-2014, 02:53 PM
I have a friend who is a childminder and had also recently become a foster carer. That's in Scotland though so don't know what English rules are x

watford wizz
15-08-2014, 03:05 PM
In our area local authority only uses agencies as last resort usually for very difficult children that is why they offer such good payment scemes and expect it to be your full time job. I don't foster for an "income" although recieve an allowance for the child plus small incentive provided which level you foster at. Things are changing as the need for carers increases but you have to point out your experience with children and families and there will be limits on the kind of children you can take. We started with respite care 1 week end a month and progressed from there. It also depends on house space and bedrooms as foster children must have own room.

AliceK
15-08-2014, 03:29 PM
In our area local authority only uses agencies as last resort usually for very difficult children that is why they offer such good payment scemes and expect it to be your full time job. I don't foster for an "income" although recieve an allowance for the child plus small incentive provided which level you foster at. Things are changing as the need for carers increases but you have to point out your experience with children and families and there will be limits on the kind of children you can take. We started with respite care 1 week end a month and progressed from there. It also depends on house space and bedrooms as foster children must have own room.

Thank you for that, it's really helpful :thumbsup:
We have the space as we are currently rearranging things so potentially will have a double room with a bunk bed available. I have contacted my LA for futher info.
Thanks again xx

Jiorjiina
16-08-2014, 11:14 AM
Watching with interest, as I have been told by agencies and LA that you can't do both. :(

AliceK
16-08-2014, 11:22 AM
Maybe each LA has their own rules?? They seem to have on most things :angry:
I'm waiting to hear back from mine, will be next week now.

xx

Happiness
13-10-2014, 12:26 PM
We had the social services around about 6 weeks ago. They are fine with me doing both ( I am in Hampshire) as long as the ratio is right. Although i already know that if we go ahead with it I will be working only part time hours as a childminder as fostering can be quite demanding. I will keep you updated anyway. :)
:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup: