PDA

View Full Version : Very worried about what to do so any advice would be appreciated!!

childcareclair
15-08-2014, 07:41 AM
Hello everyone!

I hardly post...just an avide reader and can normally find what I'm looking for by reading other related posts.....but I feel like I need some fresh advice.

I have looked after an adorable boy for the past 2 years, he is just wonderful. But I have struggled with mum who has paid late and made excuses...like " I can't feed my children " then goes out and gets a new car on finance.....so my weeks fees have gone towards the deposit on that rather than food...

She has recieved help with fees from day 1, so UNI would fund childcare for hours studying/placement, then the rest she gets 80% paid for. She told me early on that if anyone chases her for money she will just up and leave and won't pay a penny! Could I just add that she once asked me to give her receipts claiming I have worked more hours for her so she would get more money from UNI.

I have gone from monthly payments, every two weeks then weekly...which I just can not stand. Last week she owed me 2 weeks money then told me she only had xxx in the bank would that do??! I said no as I have bills coming out and payments to transfer into joint account etc and she managed to find it by borrowing from her brother. I feel like I need to give an excuse to get money out of her. I was once standing outside the car garage waiting for payment to go through so I could get my car fixed!

I have a holiday next week then the week after she is away... I have secured another contract for less hours and less money but I just want to be happy, my weekends and family time have been ruined by me worrying about getting paid from this woman.

So......heres where I need advice girls and boys.... I have 3 days including today to write a notice letter and have valid reasons why I can lo longer care for her lovely boy, I don't want to make her cross, or give her any reason to cause trouble for me.

Could anyone please help me, I don't want another weekend ruined by thinking of this woman!

Thanks for reading xxxxxx

funemnx
15-08-2014, 07:56 AM
Sorry to hear you've been having so much hassle from this parent.

I wouldn't give a reason - you don't have to....

"I have loved looking after your little cherub but unfortunately due to personal reasons (that are too personal to discuss) you will no longer be able to have him. The last date of care will be ...... I wish you all the best in the future, lots of love"

mrsb79
15-08-2014, 08:03 AM
Hiya I've been in this situation too and it's not nice it takes over your life so big hugs. First things first do you have any outstanding fees ? Secondly how much notice are you required to give ? The answer will help me to give a more In depth response x

Mouse
15-08-2014, 08:05 AM
You don't need to give a reason for notice.

I would send a simple letter:

Dear parent
It is with regret that due to a change in circumstances I will no longer be able to offer childcare for X.
As per our contract I am giving 4 week's notice. X's last day will be ..., with a total of £x being paid by .....
Please be aware that it is your responsibility to inform (tax credits and uni) that I will no longer be providing childcare for X. I will of course confirm this with them when they contact me.
I have enjoyed looking after X and wish you and him all the very best for the future.
Kind regards
Relieved childminder.

Chatterbox Childcare
15-08-2014, 08:17 AM
Have a look at your contracts about notice as Pacey state that you cannot include holidays in your notice period. Not sure about others

childcareclair
15-08-2014, 08:19 AM
Hiya I've been in this situation too and it's not nice it takes over your life so big hugs. First things first do you have any outstanding fees ? Secondly how much notice are you required to give ? The answer will help me to give a more In depth response x

Thanks! 4 weeks notice due, 1 week is unpaid cm holiday. No fees outstanding at the moment, so it would be just the notice period if she doesn't do a runner!

childcareclair
15-08-2014, 08:26 AM
You don't need to give a reason for notice.

I would send a simple letter:

Dear parent
It is with regret that due to a change in circumstances I will no longer be able to offer childcare for X.
As per our contract I am giving 4 week's notice. X's last day will be ..., with a total of £x being paid by .....
Please be aware that it is your responsibility to inform (tax credits and uni) that I will no longer be providing childcare for X. I will of course confirm this with them when they contact me.
I have enjoyed looking after X and wish you and him all the very best for the future.
Kind regards
Relieved childminder.

Thank you, I've never had to give notice before so this is pretty rubbish, but I have to think about my family life, I should think I will be relieved when I have actually done it.

FussyElmo
15-08-2014, 08:37 AM
She told me early on that if anyone chases her for money she will just up and leave and won't pay a penny!

Sounds like you don't have to give notice just put in writing that money MUST be paid on certain dates or care will be withdrawn :

shortstuff
15-08-2014, 09:50 AM
I say issue the notice letter which the ones written in this thread are fab. Then if you dont receive money in advance refuse care until money is paid. That way at least you wont be working for free.

Simona
15-08-2014, 09:57 AM
Hello everyone!

I hardly post...just an avide reader and can normally find what I'm looking for by reading other related posts.....but I feel like I need some fresh advice.

I have looked after an adorable boy for the past 2 years, he is just wonderful. But I have struggled with mum who has paid late and made excuses...like " I can't feed my children " then goes out and gets a new car on finance.....so my weeks fees have gone towards the deposit on that rather than food...

She has recieved help with fees from day 1, so UNI would fund childcare for hours studying/placement, then the rest she gets 80% paid for. She told me early on that if anyone chases her for money she will just up and leave and won't pay a penny! Could I just add that she once asked me to give her receipts claiming I have worked more hours for her so she would get more money from UNI.

I have gone from monthly payments, every two weeks then weekly...which I just can not stand. Last week she owed me 2 weeks money then told me she only had xxx in the bank would that do??! I said no as I have bills coming out and payments to transfer into joint account etc and she managed to find it by borrowing from her brother. I feel like I need to give an excuse to get money out of her. I was once standing outside the car garage waiting for payment to go through so I could get my car fixed!

I have a holiday next week then the week after she is away... I have secured another contract for less hours and less money but I just want to be happy, my weekends and family time have been ruined by me worrying about getting paid from this woman.

So......heres where I need advice girls and boys.... I have 3 days including today to write a notice letter and have valid reasons why I can lo longer care for her lovely boy, I don't want to make her cross, or give her any reason to cause trouble for me.

Could anyone please help me, I don't want another weekend ruined by thinking of this woman!

Thanks for reading xxxxxx

I hope I got this right but it sounds like this parent is a student and receiving money from Student Finance to cover her childcare fees when at Uni?

I would ring Student Finance and ask for their advice as the grant for childcare should be used for that purpose and parents should not owe money to those who give them the opportunity to study

Parents have to fill a very extensive form to qualify for the grant
I am sure you have a contract with this parent so record the fact you are not being paid...just in case
Hope you can get an answer and above all get payment due to you

rickysmiths
15-08-2014, 11:30 AM
Right there are several issues here as I see it.

1. Her fees in Term Time are covered by Student Finance so there should be no problem for her to pay you, no excuses.

2. She gets Tax Credits (only up to 70% of fees now) to help pay fees in the holidays I assume she is working in the holidays if she gets this.

3. You are on holiday from 18th for a week and she is on holiday from the 25th.

You have tried to help her budget by reducing payment to weekly however she transfers the cash into your Bank. I would now change this to Cash on the first day of care every week or even on the Friday for the week ahead with no exceptions to this. No payment, no childcare.

Which Contracts do you use because the Pacey ones are very detailed on Page 4 about what happens when a parent doesn't pay and when and how quickly you can stop care. In mine I have if a parent is more than a week late paying the Contract is terminated and it is then my choice if I restart it if payments are made in full. Also if a parent does not contact me or arrive to use their Contracted hours for a week the Contract is terminated.

The Pacey Contract says Notice should not be given during paid periods of holiday. I always ur on the side of caution and put myself in the best position! I would therefore consider that I shouldn't give notice when on holiday.

If I was you I would write a simple letter saying it is with regret you will no longer be able to care for xxxxx. As we are both on holiday me w/c 18th Aug and you w/c 25th Aug this means that the 4 weeks notice will start as our Contract States, on 1st Sept 2014 and care will stop on Friday 26th September 2014.

This means there will be fees of xxxxx due and to be paid in full by Monday 22nd Sept. I would like to remind you that you will need to contact Finance England (Uni or whoever) and Tax Credits to notify them that you are no longer using me as your Registered Childcarer. I have thoroughly enjoyed caring for xxxx and will miss them. I will give you xxxxx Learning Journal and Daily Diary at the end of the Contract.

Now if this length of Notice is a pain for you, you think you won't be paid, you want to start with the new family before the 26th Sept I would add a paragraph to the letter as follows:

Although the Contract States 4 weeks notice is required to end the Contract we can mutually agree in writing to end the Contract at an earlier date. If you would like to do this then I would not expect payment for the full 4 weeks if you are not going to attend my setting, only paying for days used. However we would need to discuss this arrangement and put it in writing. If this is not done then payment for the full 4 weeks Notice would be due even if you choose not to use the space.

In doing this you are showing you are being as reasonable as you can. You are recognising that she may prefer not to pay and giving her a way out.

I hope this helps.

childcareclair
15-08-2014, 06:58 PM
Right there are several issues here as I see it.

1. Her fees in Term Time are covered by Student Finance so there should be no problem for her to pay you, no excuses.

2. She gets Tax Credits (only up to 70% of fees now) to help pay fees in the holidays I assume she is working in the holidays if she gets this.

3. You are on holiday from 18th for a week and she is on holiday from the 25th.

You have tried to help her budget by reducing payment to weekly however she transfers the cash into your Bank. I would now change this to Cash on the first day of care every week or even on the Friday for the week ahead with no exceptions to this. No payment, no childcare.

Which Contracts do you use because the Pacey ones are very detailed on Page 4 about what happens when a parent doesn't pay and when and how quickly you can stop care. In mine I have if a parent is more than a week late paying the Contract is terminated and it is then my choice if I restart it if payments are made in full. Also if a parent does not contact me or arrive to use their Contracted hours for a week the Contract is terminated.

The Pacey Contract says Notice should not be given during paid periods of holiday. I always ur on the side of caution and put myself in the best position! I would therefore consider that I shouldn't give notice when on holiday.

If I was you I would write a simple letter saying it is with regret you will no longer be able to care for xxxxx. As we are both on holiday me w/c 18th Aug and you w/c 25th Aug this means that the 4 weeks notice will start as our Contract States, on 1st Sept 2014 and care will stop on Friday 26th September 2014.

This means there will be fees of xxxxx due and to be paid in full by Monday 22nd Sept. I would like to remind you that you will need to contact Finance England (Uni or whoever) and Tax Credits to notify them that you are no longer using me as your Registered Childcarer. I have thoroughly enjoyed caring for xxxx and will miss them. I will give you xxxxx Learning Journal and Daily Diary at the end of the Contract.

Now if this length of Notice is a pain for you, you think you won't be paid, you want to start with the new family before the 26th Sept I would add a paragraph to the letter as follows:

Although the Contract States 4 weeks notice is required to end the Contract we can mutually agree in writing to end the Contract at an earlier date. If you would like to do this then I would not expect payment for the full 4 weeks if you are not going to attend my setting, only paying for days used. However we would need to discuss this arrangement and put it in writing. If this is not done then payment for the full 4 weeks Notice would be due even if you choose not to use the space.

In doing this you are showing you are being as reasonable as you can. You are recognising that she may prefer not to pay and giving her a way out.

I hope this helps.

Hello,

Thank you for that very detailed answer it has helped alot. x

childcareclair
15-08-2014, 06:59 PM
Thank you very much everyone who made some comments. Have a lovely weekend!x

rickysmiths
15-08-2014, 08:30 PM
Do let us know how it goes. Have a lovely holiday.