PDA

View Full Version : Pre-sch children

tori4
14-08-2014, 07:59 PM
Hi - looking for some advice

I will have several LOs within pre-sch age as of sept 2014 - 3 will start sch in 2015.

I understand I am not a teacher or EY educator - however I want to do my best for all the children within my care in all areas of development.

All 3 children are confident n able children and meeting all EY outcomes.

I fully agree life skills are the most important skills but as I feel they are all capable within the usually dressing,toileting,talking n listening skills -

what can I do next ??

And any suggested activities?

TIA xT

mum67
15-08-2014, 08:20 PM
erm I think next steps here is introduce numbers 1-5, counting in groups of the same colour, size. The alphabet, letter sounds, first words, learning to write their name with dotted lines to follow or copying from a name card.
I went on a small parenting course at the local school for early years phonics, its a bit like a sign language course in a sense, you learn a sign to make for each sound and the little ones love to do it, my nephews were amazed that I could make the sounds with them when they were learning it at nursery, they were 3-4 years then, so it is aimed at that age but I think if they are good listeners they might pick it up.

Generally just have things to incorporate into their play routine, give them a sound each day and look around your home, the garden, outdoors for things that have the sound at the beginning point to it and get them to say the sound and then the word. Chalk numbers outside and see if they can match the number to a card it is wrote on a bit like snap only with a card and the number on the floor or wall. Take them outside and see what wildlife, creatures they see, are the trees big or small, find other things big and small to compare to. They are learning all the time through play, it doesn't have to be structured so they get bored.

I am not absolutely sure on this because I am new to it myself but it is what I am starting to understand of the 7 areas of learning, the prime areas being the main ones to work on with 3yrs and under and the prime and specific for older, it is how I do it with my grand children and nephews to practice on until I have full time/part time mindees in Sept so if I am wrong somebody will let me know.

Sarah's e-books are full of brilliant advice she has a play one, 7 areas of learning, everything you need to know and they are well worth the money, she tells you how to incorporate the learning through their play etc and theirs lots of free advice on here and in blogs, scan through the site and you will find your answers.

Good luck like I said I am not 100% on my advice so please double check before listening to me, but I think that is what your asking for from us how to teach them but without a classroom approach.:)

mum67
15-08-2014, 08:36 PM
I printed off sheets for taking outdoors, the children spot the mini beast and tick it on the sheet, it has a picture and the word so they learn to relate the two and hopefully learn to read it eventually.

Try and get hold of different size and coloured magnifying glasses and let the children see things through them, are they bigger, smaller, what colour are they?

Play post office with real envelopes, old stamps or drawn stamps and get the children to write the name and address for who it is to go to, either copying from you or their own writing and spelling, post it in a box you made, if you just put the names of the children with you on each envelope you can have a postboy/girl to hand them out before they go home with their daily diary in so they feel it is relevant but they learn about how things are communicated and delivered.

There is so much you can do once you get the idea and it really is everything they do every day but a matter of letting them know they have learned something new that day.

mum67
15-08-2014, 08:46 PM
Another good one for size and shape it to get a roll of old wallpaper or lining paper and get each child to lie on it one by one, let another child draw around their body and they all draw their hands, feet, eyes nose etc and count how many of each we have on our bodies, then tack it to the wall and ask if they can point to the biggest and smallest.
Then colour them into skin colour through the childrens eyes and you have incorporated equality and diversity into it, the children see a persons face and skin in a different way than an adult and you will see what I mean when you do it.

My son's loved doing this when they were small with their friends, my youngest son coloured his friend and then said you are the same colour as the mud we just played with, he wasn't being offensive it was how he related the two colours, the mud and the paint he used. His friend coloured my son yellow (he thought he looke like the banana) and with white hair because he saw my son's skin as yellow because he is very pale skinned. Their view and imagination of life is amazing and so innocent.