PDA

View Full Version : Stressed

helendee
14-08-2014, 11:30 AM
Just had an awful morning and could do with some advice and tlc! Whilst I was changing a particularly horrible nappy this morning one of the mindees left the room, as I thought to go next door to the playroom, however he went out into the hallway and managed to get down one of the other children's change bags which unbeknown to me had a bottle of calpol in... you've guessed it, in the space of one minute he somehow managed to get the top off the bottle and spill it all over the place, the problem is that I have no idea whether he actually drank any and the mother who put the calpol in the bag doesn't know how much was in the bottle!
I obviously called his parents immediately and they have taken him to hospital and I have informed Ofsted, is there anything else I need to do?
Dad is naturally angry and upset and I feel like poo! My only defence is that the mum hadn't told me that there was medicine in the bag which usually only contains nappies and spares!
LikeLi

Mouse
14-08-2014, 12:10 PM
Oh dear. It's horrible when things like that happen and you're left kicking yourself. Hopefully lo will be OK.

Things I would do now:

send a letter out to all parents stressing that if they bring any medication to your house they MUST hand it over to you and not leave it in the bag.

update your risk assessment:

check bags each morning to see if there is anything in there that shouldn't be
store bags in a place where children can't gain access to them
if medicines are handed to you, maybe mark the level on the bottle
is supervision sufficient if children can get into the hall, get a bag, open & pour out calpol without you being aware?

complete an incident form giving as much information as possible

speak to parents and let them know what you have done to make sure it doesn't happen again.

I hope you hear from parents soon so you can at least know how lo is doing x

mum67
14-08-2014, 01:38 PM
Hugs to you Helendee

One of my grand daughters is just like that, will find anything else to nosey through or mess with rather than the ample toys around for her (just like her dad was as a child), I have to watch her all the time, if she even looks like she is heading through a door I say in my (don't mess with me today nana's voice)
erm where do you think your going lady, and she knows she best be going to the loo for no 1 or 2 and not to wash my walls.

Hopefully the dad will calm down when he has child checked out and hears the ok word from the doctors, it could easily happen at home for them.

Child proof caps are a myth as we all know they can open them but we can't!

The parent who left it in the bag probably took it out on her travels and forgot it was there, if not and she knew it was there then stern words coming her way. I would do a child friendly safety talk on what not to touch, show them medicine bottles, tablets etc so they know what they look like and not to touch them, maybe do a role play with pretend child and hospital.

The little one will probably feel really bad when they come back to you and scared what you will say to them. I really feel the sickness in your stomach from all this.

To be honest Mouse I never even thought of marking a medicine bottle for how much is in it, even for mine but I will now just for safe measures.

Hope the little one is ok, hopefully it all went on the floor. Good luck with the outcome. need a group hug here:group hug:

blue bear
14-08-2014, 07:55 PM
Hugs to you, it was an accident try not to beat yourself up too much. Hope the lo is ok have you heard?

Koala
15-08-2014, 02:54 PM
Hows things, I hope lo is ok, i'm sure he/she is and you are feeling a bit better/less stressed. What a nightmare for you and for what it's worth I have heard of similar things happening before not that's of any help to you, but just didn't want you to feel alone. Think positive and move forward, we all learn and things happen that we don't anticipate or even dream of, so just make it right so it doesn't happen again. Excellent advice from others. :thumbsup: