PDA

View Full Version : What how where childrens hand drying

samb
13-08-2014, 07:57 PM
Moved a couple of weeks ago and still trying to work out how to make the house work for me. I have a downstairs loo and that will be where the children use the loo and change nappies. It has a hand basin in so they can wash hands too. When I used to use my bathroom they had a towel rail full of their individual flannels for hand drying. I am increasing numbers with an assistant and have less space in there as its just a loo not a bathroom. What do you guys do? Not sure if I should have 12 hooks screwed into the door with flannels hanging on each one or a basket of flannels ready to use but then if its 1 per dry I would need masses of the things! Or would you use 1 hand towel for all to use and change say at lunch and after school to keep them fresh?

moggy
13-08-2014, 08:13 PM
I would never have them sharing a towel even for half a day. It only needs one to not wash properly and wipe hands on towel to spread threadworm, sickness bugs and goodness knows what else.

I do a coloured flannel per child on a rail, but have max of 5 here a day.
Do you have 12 children per day? all old enough to wash hands at sink?

Basket of use-once flannels, bulk buy a hundred?
or an electric blow-air hand drier!
or paper towels/kitchen roll and compost them to reduce the waste (if you are a gardener), but still would be an on-going cost.

FloraDora
13-08-2014, 08:29 PM
Bought a load of white hotel flannels. I roll them up and put them in a basket in the downstairs cloakroom ( looks nice) and bathroom upstairs. Children say "take and shake".( rhyming!!!!) Single use then pop in laundry basket ( small basket bin). I use them when I have visitors/ gathering too now - so I only ever share a towel now with my DH. Visitors have commented on how they like this system.
We also use white cotton t towels and white aprons for cooking, with white sheets ...so I do a hot 90degree wash every other day - childminding wash.

Did this because I wanted single use but not paper.
Environmental Officer loved it. ( made me smile because I am a little concerned about the high temp wash and environmental aspect - but possibly better than loads of paper towels ) .

samb
13-08-2014, 08:29 PM
I like them to use the sink as soon as they can manage to stand at the step. I have always used individual ones too which is why I'm wondering how now? We will have 12 sometimes yes that includes the over 8s and 3 of the children are mine/ assistants. I usually give them their own flannel by the age of about 18 months sometimes nearer 2 if try were later walkers. We have 21 children on role (they are all part time) and only 2 are young enough to not have a towel.

greanan
13-08-2014, 08:47 PM
I just use and hand towel in the bathroom. I teach them how to wash hands properly so in theory they shouldn't be drying 'dirty' hands on it?!!

loocyloo
13-08-2014, 09:04 PM
I have a small towel rail and each child has their own flannel to dry their hands on ... Each flannel has a hanging loop ( from ikea ) and I attach it to a shower curtain ring that attaches to the towel rail! I find it easier than the big towel that always falls on the floor!
And at weekends I can easily remove mindees 'towels'

mama2three
14-08-2014, 05:53 AM
I use paper towels , The old HPA poster recommended them as the best practice , so that's what I did. It isn't the most environmentally friendly way I suppose but they do get recycled. the costs are no higher than extra washing powder would be if you shop around.