PDA

View Full Version : Shift work parent

Snowwhite
12-08-2014, 10:13 PM
When a parent works shifts then how do you work out the fees? Do you charge normal fee (in this case it would be a full day) then half fee whenever not needed that following week? That is what I am considering saying to that parent,and the reasons being is so as to keep the place open and also so I still have some income. Parent enquired via email and does 6 days on then 4 days off but it rotates. Only actually needs 2 days a week childcare though. Never had a shift work parent before so not even sure it would work! ? She needs childcare fairly soon and I really am in need of new children and tempted to say no fee on the days you don't need me, but then is that a bit foolish as I could well be loosing out fiancially? Also thought of just taking child on with no fees on the days she doesn't need me,but only keep it going until something better came along, but again would that be a case of fiancially loosing out on the 'free childcare days'? Child is 2.5 yrs old and parent has a decent job. thanks

Kiddleywinks
13-08-2014, 06:04 AM
It's so hard isn't it to make a decision now that you may regret in 6 months time... :(

I've had 2 different types of shift workers now.
The first was similar to yours, 3 different days each week, but the same hours when needed, so I charged 3 days full fees and 2 days half fees.
This worked well for this particular family, and I didn't feel like I was financially restricting myself even though it was an EYFS space.

The second one, parent's shifts are different hours but over set days, so some weeks I'd be needed a day or two, others weeks all 4 days, some weeks mornings only, others afternoons only, so a bit more messy.
After reading a post on here some time ago, I suggested charging for a set number of hours per week between my core hours, regardless of attendance, with a top up for any additional hours, earlier starts and later finishes.
It means some weeks I finish early - always a bonus, and other weeks I may even get an additional paperwork day - again always a bonus, and other weeks I'll be shattered and good for nothing ;)
I did have to make sure the parent understood that unused hours from one week do not get transferred to another, an easy misinterpretation for parents to make, but it's working well so far, so thank you to the poster for that idea (sorry can't remember who it was now).

My advice would be, don't undersell yourself as that is a decision you will regret later, and to then give notice to a family because of a bad business decision is unfair.
If it's not a viable contract, then just don't take them on.

Why not play around with the figures first, that way you can see what your top line and bottom line is, and then decide what you're prepared to take for the hours on offer. Yes, you'll be taking a hit on earning potential, but how much of one is up to you

Karen1
13-08-2014, 06:06 AM
Hi
Just waiting for my shift worker, who now annoys me as child always tired but another story...

Anyway she has three days a week booked, but often only uses one a week, rarely two. Now she was also my first shift worker and only charge her for what she has, but it means i have to keep space open in case she needs it. Which has meant me turning business away! So if i did it again, i would of charged min two day week probably or half fee for days not used, so i wasnt losing out. I now have an ad hoc contract that slots into the unused spaces, but that was a lucky find. If that hadnt happened i may of given notice.
Good luck.

Snowwhite
13-08-2014, 01:35 PM
Thank you both