PDA

View Full Version : Working with parents ... some ideas

sarah707
12-08-2014, 05:58 PM
Information shared on our Independent Childminders Facebook page -

Ofsted are making lots of comments in reports at the moment about lack of parental involvement - lack of ideas for home learning - lack of parent comments and input in children's files etc...

One way we tackle it here at Knutsford Childminding is to include parent observations in LJs - when they tell us what their child has been doing or saying at home we write it down and link a 'next step' or 'individual plan' to it ...

For example -

• Jane went to the farm this weekend with parents. To further support her learning we have...
• John's dad says he loves things that go round at home. We have planned to...
• Janet is visiting the allotment with granddad – she is growing peas and courgettes. We have started some sunflowers here to follow her interest.
• WOW Susie has just started climbing the stairs at home!! She might enjoy…
• We are planning a trip to the zoo and Kate’s mum has given us her entrance card! Thank you!
• John has a new bike at home – it is blue and he says it is very big. We will make sure he has lots of time to practice on our bike here.
Observations and individual / next steps planning like that are quick and easy to write up and show lots of evidence of working together.

Other ways our group members add parent comments / home learning in children's files include…
• Sending observation sheets home – when completed, they are put in the LJ with follow on next steps.
• Pages for parent comments in the child’s daily diary eg ‘things I have done at home’, comments are transferred into the LJ and next steps planning is added.
• Post it note ‘my achievements at home’ on the noticeboard.
• Parent questionnaires asking ‘what is your child doing at home at the moment?’ or ‘what are your child’s favourite toys / games / places to go on outings?’ etc.
• Ask parent to send picture messages (WhatsApp is good) of their child at the weekend or on holiday – print the pictures and add a child’s comment to their file.
• Ask parents at pick-up time ‘what are you working on at home just now?’ – write it up and show how you are supporting their learning when they are with you.
• Ask children to draw pictures and tell you stories about things they have done at home – places they have visited with their parents – people important to them etc.
• ‘Proud clouds’ to share significant moments from home.
• Parent comment sheets in Learning Journey files when they are shared with parents – so comments can be added. Members say these work best if ideas for what to write are given.
• Add verbal comments from parents in a different coloured ink so Ofsted can clearly see that you are working with home.
• Tell parents you need their comments on the bottom of children’s progress reports – give them questions to answer. Explain you will email them a report if they want to keep a copy to show granny but you need their comments on a sheet for Ofsted.
• Do regular ‘what we have been doing this month’ summaries including a couple of wow moments for each child … you can use the same basic layout and then personalise them. Ask parents to email back with some comments and add their comments to the sheet before putting it in the child’s file.
• If parents get involved in your activities or outings, get photos for the children’s files.
• Design a ‘parent comment’ sheet and give it to parents every few months to fill in. again, it works best if you give parents ideas for things to write and keep it short. If parents are struggling to fill it in at home, ask them at pick up time, fill it in for them and don’t let them go until they have given you some new information about their child’s home learning.
• Make little ‘we have been doing’ booklets for children when you do a new theme – add photos of the child and ask parents for comments / feedback from what their child is telling them at home which you can add later.
• Renew the ‘all about me’ form every 6 months – call it ‘all about me now’ and ask parents for input from home.
• If you use a secure social media page, ask parents to comment – copy the comments into the child’s file and add some planning ideas which you can then share with parents.
• Start a Pinterest board of activity ideas and share those with parents.
• When you send home ideas for learning, ask parents for feedback – what did their child enjoy / not enjoy doing? How did they tackle the activity? Were they engaged? What was their favourite bit? Add parent comments to the child’s file.

Please share any other ideas… :D

Mouse
12-08-2014, 07:28 PM
Speaking to parents over the years I have found that a lot of them are frightened to write in a LJ or daily diary for fear of putting the wrong thing, or not knowing what to write. No matter how much you tell them that ANY writing is greatly received and nothing is wrong, they still don't like to do it.

Some of my parents are brilliant at sharing info and need little encouragement.

With the more reluctant ones, I send short questionnaires home with very specific questions. Eg. When we were talking about pets I sent a short sheet home asking if the child had a pet, or knew someone who did, what the pet was, what it was called, what colour it was etc. All parents could answer that, even if it only talk one word answers.

Another success I have is focussed on whichever book is our 'current' one. I send a letter home telling parents which book we are focussing on and what sort of activities we will be doing related to it. I'll send home a colouring sheet and suggest the child might like to colour it with parents or grandparents and I'll send home a sheet of pictures from the story and ask parents to talk about it with their child and listen to what their child tells them about the story. The children love doing this and don't normally let the parents get away with not doing it :D

For older children I send home an activity pack and ask parents to find time to go through it with their child. Most of them are more than happy to :thumbsup:

Kiddleywinks
13-08-2014, 05:32 AM
I've been very fortunate with parents communicating through daily diaries, but I have been looking at ways to increase parental input, some good ideas there, and love your idea Mouse of a colouring sheet and pictures from the current book - I shall give that a go :thumbsup:

loocyloo
13-08-2014, 05:50 AM
I've been very fortunate with parents communicating through daily diaries, but I have been looking at ways to increase parental input, some good ideas there, and love your idea Mouse of a colouring sheet and pictures from the current book - I shall give that a go :thumbsup:

:-) I really like that idea too
... and then somehow to get parental feedback on it!

mama2three
13-08-2014, 05:59 AM
If anyone is using orbit then the postcard option for parents is available , but despite my reminders no-one has done so. I've got round this by uploading a chldrens drawing of a house - whenever I get any comments from parents I use them as a 'new observation' using the house as the picture - that way I can link to eyfs , add next steps etc , and its easy to spot the house pictures through the LJ as being 'news from home'.

Kiddleywinks
13-08-2014, 06:07 AM
Ooooo - that's a good idea!

I lurve this site! :clapping:

loocyloo
13-08-2014, 07:50 AM
I have a sheet for each week that has a 'box' for each child. in that box I write down anything I have planned for the child, and a brief summary of what we do that week, and 'next steps'. I added a little space to write down any comments from parents - usually X didn't sleep well - teething, Y had friend to sleep over, Z went to the beach. then each week I stick these 'boxes' in the childs LJ.

hectors house
13-08-2014, 11:03 AM
I tried making a "postcard from home" for parents to write a wow moment on or where they had been on a trip and used to include 2 in child's learning journals every time it went home and a few spares on the notice board in entrance- but hardly got any back.

I now do on-line learning journals and have tried reverse psychology by e-mailing all parents saying "thank you for all your lovely comments on the observations and to those people who have either added an observation or a photo of child on an outing" - hope it makes them think they had better add some if everyone is doing it! (Everyone has lapsed at the moment)

Then after seeing Sarah's thread I sent this home on Monday "Haven't been having many replies or observations left lately - Ofsted are really picking up on "Communication between home and childminders" - it doesn't have to always have a photo, sometimes just a comment like X enjoyed the beach or zoo at the weekend or Y is now using a knife to cut own dinner or Z has been singing the songs they learnt with you last week. (still no response)!

Feel like e-mailing "hello, hello is there anyone out there?"

loocyloo
13-08-2014, 06:06 PM
I tried making a "postcard from home" for parents to write a wow moment on or where they had been on a trip and used to include 2 in child's learning journals every time it went home and a few spares on the notice board in entrance- but hardly got any back.

I now do on-line learning journals and have tried reverse psychology by e-mailing all parents saying "thank you for all your lovely comments on the observations and to those people who have either added an observation or a photo of child on an outing" - hope it makes them think they had better add some if everyone is doing it! (Everyone has lapsed at the moment)

Then after seeing Sarah's thread I sent this home on Monday "Haven't been having many replies or observations left lately - Ofsted are really picking up on "Communication between home and childminders" - it doesn't have to always have a photo, sometimes just a comment like X enjoyed the beach or zoo at the weekend or Y is now using a knife to cut own dinner or Z has been singing the songs they learnt with you last week. (still no response)!

I have one parent who communicates well, the rest ... well ... I try and I document that I try and how I try ... there is nothing more I can do apart from putting CCTV in their houses!

hectors house
13-08-2014, 06:41 PM

Have just proved that they get my daily e-mail of what the children have done today - one parent just e-mailed back to point out that I had forgotten to attach the sheet.

Rickers83
15-08-2014, 08:01 AM
Reading this made me lol, & also thankful its not just me!!

I only have one family at the moment, daily diary goes home every night, & I know its never looked at , its either not been moved from its position in the bag or mum will ask me something that was clearly written in there!

Also I have been caring for these children for a year & after numerous requests for ideas for lunch for the littlest one & nothing working, i finally get told 2 weeks ago"oh he only eats wholemeal / granary bread"
Brilliant!! I do a individual needs sheet when they start with me which includes foods & this was never mentioned!

& big brother I find out 3 days ago is scared of dogs.... We have a dog (although she spends a lot of time in my inlaws annexe) & we go for walks across a meadow popular with dog walkers..... I always thought he looked shifty when we were there but when questioned always said he was ok.

Unfortunately i think even with the best systems in place its a two way thing & if the parents aren't contributing what can you do?