PDA

View Full Version : Apprentice out on the razzle!

jadavi
11-08-2014, 07:54 AM
On day two of my new apprentice starting with me she rang in to say she was sick. She had been spotted the night before (when she had told us she was at her second job) out getting truly hammered.
Would you let her know you know the truth?
Bear in mind this was on the eve of her first day with us.
I have a 13 week period when I can change my mind but wondering whether to say something or not. It looks awful to parents too who could've seen her there.
What would you do?

Tealady
11-08-2014, 08:29 AM
I would have a quiet word with her.

Be open and say she was seen on the raz and you hope her illness wasn't down to this. Explain that when you have a job that this is unacceptable. By all means see friends have a great time but she needs to remember that she has work next day. Explain if it becomes a problem you will be talking to the college/apprentice company. Remind her she may get kicked off the scheme if her attendance drops below a certain level

I had an apprentice in my last job. It was a business course though. She was young and immature and didn't really get how you were expected to behave in the world of work. Not all apprentices are like this and I had some great ones but some youngsters just don't have a clue.

bunyip
11-08-2014, 08:41 AM
I absolutely agree with Tealady.

So many people would say nothing in order to "avoid confrontation". In 99.999999999999999999999999999% of cases, avoiding confrontation means creating a bigger problem for yourself, whilst merely putting off the confrontation until a later date when it can no longer be avoided, by which time it will be a 1000 times harder to deal with. :(

Chatterbox Childcare
11-08-2014, 08:45 AM
It is up to her what she does in her own time and nothing to do with the parents. We all let off steam when not working

but

to not turn up to work and lie about it is unacceptable. I would call her in and talk to her, maybe after work, explain that you know where she was and you undertand why she didn't turn up but emphasize that you need her to be on time and ready work, after all these places are a premium. Does she really want the job?

jadavi
11-08-2014, 09:05 AM
Thanks yes I agree about what she does in her own time etc but another person who works for the setting was embarrassed on our behalf.
She was super keen for the job and so far is doing well with the kids.
How many absentee days do you think is unacceptable?

Tealady
11-08-2014, 10:59 AM
What do the college/apprenticeship company say?

You may find there is an agreement that if she is off for so many days she may get kicked off the scheme. That's what we had with the organisation we used.

Also don't remind her exactly how many days that is. If she is going to be flakey then she may see as it as time off she is entitled too and go sick to use them up, when she really isn't ill.

However, take it one step at a time. She has only just started. Being an apprentice is more than learning to do just the actual job, it is also about learning a work ethic and what is expected in the workplace.

Tealady
11-08-2014, 11:04 AM
Also on the being seen out getting hammered. It was one time so far. She is a young girl.

I live in the same area as a well renowned nursery training college. The young girls are often seen in the local getting squiffy on white wine. Nobody thinks to badly of it. The nursery has huge waiting lists. If you don't get on the list as soon as you are home with baby you don't stand much chance of getting your child in.

jadavi
11-08-2014, 11:39 AM
Thanks for the advice

Actually she's not young but 23

I'll ask the Scheme about absenteeism

mama2three
11-08-2014, 11:42 AM
two completely separate issues here.
Firstly she can get as hammered as she likes whenever she likes , whether or not it ' embarrasses' you or colleagues , or whether parents approve. Nothing to do with any of you as long as it doesn't effect her work.
Secondly the sickness issue , make sure you do a 'return to work' interview each time shes off sick - noting the reasons , making sure shes no longer infectious etc in the case of tummy bugs , reminding her that this is the xth time she has been off due to x , y , z...... Whilst not strictly necessary it is good practice , and will also show her how seriously you take her absence and might make her think twice if its just 'a bit of a hangover ' or 'time of the month'...etc

jadavi
11-08-2014, 06:19 PM
Thanks mama good advice

Just wondering whether to let her know I know she was out drinking the night before so probably sick from that not a bug as she said....

Kiddleywinks
12-08-2014, 05:43 AM
I would, she needs to understand that lying is not acceptable and she'll be found out, particularly in this line of work where more people know who we are, than we know who they are lol

mama2three
12-08-2014, 06:23 AM
I wouldn't say 'proably from that' ..I would phrase it as having put you in a difficult position as ''Im sure you can understand how some others 'may assume' that the alcohol was to blame rather than a bug.'' Don't be seen as accusing her of anything at this point. Be on 'her side'. Say you can see how wonderfully she can interact with the children and how you have very high hopes she is going to do very very well during the apprenticeship....how you know she woudnt put you in such a difficult position and let you down... build her up....and say how you wouldn't want anyone to think otherwise of her.

rickysmiths
12-08-2014, 10:13 AM
I agree that what she does on her time off is her own affair.

However on the same basis as you can't go out one night and get slaughtered and flight a passenger plane legally because you would still have too much alcohol in your blood, same with an HGV driver or any driver.

I would be making it very clear that I would not see that she was fit to be around children having done this and potentially still being over the limit when starting work the next day. I would be suggesting such outings be reserved for Friday and Sat to be honest and I don't think that is an unreasonable expectation.

jadavi
15-08-2014, 09:18 AM
Thanks yes I agree

However it appears she went down with something genuine - which makes it harder!!

rickysmiths
15-08-2014, 11:34 AM
Thanks yes I agree

However it appears she went down with something genuine - which makes it harder!!

Ok that may be so and unfortunate.

However I would still be having a chat about being seen the night before and the inappropriate nature of the outing considering she was going to be caring for children the next day.