PDA

View Full Version : 1 hr settling session - 4 yr old - what activities?

Elkie Mawdsley
11-08-2014, 06:25 AM
Hi all. I have a 4 year old coming for his first settling in session tomorrow for an hour. Not sure what activities to have out to engage him in. When they came for the initial visit he played with the foam floor covering - taking out letters for his name etc and didn't playing with anything else.

I'll only be having him 2 hrs in the week after the holiday.

smurfette
11-08-2014, 06:33 AM
Maybe he would like jigsaws then?

Elkie Mawdsley
11-08-2014, 06:54 AM
Thank you Smurfette. :)

Mouse
11-08-2014, 07:15 AM
You could take a photo of him, print it out, stick it on card & cut it up to make his own jigsaw.

Maza
11-08-2014, 07:23 AM
There's nothing wrong in emailing the parents to ask them what sort of toys/activities they think their son would like to see/do on his first day. Explain that as at this stage you don' know him very well and want to ensure that he has a positive settling in session and so if there is anything specific that might help him (within reason of course, haha) etc etc.

I would probably make sure I had drawing materials, construction kit, jigsaw, books, cars/trains. Boys and girls in my setting enjoy 'cooking', especially if I add water or dry pasta for them to pour or scoop. x

smurfette
11-08-2014, 07:39 AM
Thank you Smurfette. :)

Lol sorry not awake yet that wasn't terribly helpful!

Goatgirl
11-08-2014, 07:51 AM
A big ball of freshly made coloured play dough is always particularly hard to resist for most children I have found. I just try to make sure the room is set out in an accessible way with obvious things to hand: drawing/colouring stuff and play dough out on a low table, a box of bricks/ stack of puzzles/garage and cars pulled into the floor space; play house is open and set up ready to play 'babies' or 'cooking' etc.

Good luck :thumbsup:

Simona
11-08-2014, 08:14 AM
Hi all. I have a 4 year old coming for his first settling in session tomorrow for an hour. Not sure what activities to have out to engage him in. When they came for the initial visit he played with the foam floor covering - taking out letters for his name etc and didn't playing with anything else.

I'll only be having him 2 hrs in the week after the holiday.

Although the child is 4 and possibly not difficult to settle in...you could give him time and space to explore his new environment...show the toys you have and ask what his favourites are?...introduce the child to your other minded children...show him the house...toilets and anything you can think of to make the child welcome?

also settling in is the time to start building positive relationships and attachment
Good luck