PDA

View Full Version : smoke alarm checks etc with no children on roll

kmc13
10-08-2014, 09:00 AM
Hi,

I've not had any children on roll since being registered and I'm due my Ofsted inspection in the next couple of weeks. My question is will Ofsted still expect me to complete my daily/weekly/monthly checks (e.g. smoke alarm checks) even though I'm not technically working?
Or will they just want to see the paperwork of how I plan to record it all?
Thanks

Kiddleywinks
10-08-2014, 09:20 AM
Not sure of the answer with regard to ofsted, but I check my smoke alarm weekly anyway because I want to know my own children and I would be alerted to a fire having had a tumble dryer set alight one night :thumbsup:

moggy
10-08-2014, 10:18 AM
There is no requirement to record every time you check a smoke alarm. For whom would you record that? Same as fridge temp- no need to record it if you work alone.

In a nursery you would, as more staff involved so you'd need to check who is doing what so manager knows it has been done/when/by whom etc.

As with fridge temp, I'd only note if there was a problem with a smoke alarm check and then sort it out.

If there are no children on role you can not do a practice evacuation- that is what I record, with note of what children are there and any issues.

Just have your RA ready which include what and why you'll be checking and recording things, and the forms you will be using if you want to use forms.

hectors house
10-08-2014, 04:37 PM
You can't practice any official evacuations if you don't have any minded children but you could practice evacuating from different rooms with your own children or just write it down eg: what would you do if the children were in the lounge and the TV exploded, or children in bed upstairs and the grill caught fire - which doors would you use to escape? It's good to have an evacuation plan for your own family anyway.