PDA

View Full Version : Equality Act is a discrimination in itself

mum67
09-08-2014, 11:11 PM
I am fed up of having to make sure my setting is equal to all when the Government, Ofsted and everyone else are so biased.

You cannot go on a Pre reg course unless you have at least a level 1 in English and Maths (think it might even be a level 2 by now) because you have to be able to teach the EYFS confidently and when I asked on my pre reg meeting how they get away with be discriminative I was told "You have to be able to speak in a clear and understandable voice if you need to ring 999 so they can get you the right help", or some excuse along those lines. What a Kop out.

Then there's the new Pupil Premium which is aimed at disadvantaged families, so the school's will pick them first for admission, where's the equal opportunity for other settings and families there?

Such hypocrites all of them. Well I say to all these white collar workers "Practice what you b****y preach will you and read your policy on this Act that you are all blatantly flouting".

Sorry for spoiling the weekend but it really peeves me.:mad:

FloraDora
10-08-2014, 07:10 AM
I think you may have had a little bee in your bonnet last night.
In the cold light of day :
It's not really discriminating setting a level of education standard for childminders, you cannot apply for a teaching course without having passed your basic skills for teaching now - even if you have a gcse in maths and English. My friend's son needed basic skills and 5 gcse's to apply for an apprenticeship course at Rover....in order that you can prove you are capable of taking on further study....you have to have a basic level of English and Maths under your hat. It's just different, because before the gov brought in the requirement of a level 3 - you could be a childminder with no qualifications. There is no point of taking up a place on a pre reg course if you haven't got the standard of education to complete a level 3 course yet. Things move on - when I studied to be a teacher you did not need a levels or a degree!

Pupil Premium : I assure you, school's will not be favouring children that come with a pupil premium. PP brings money, yes, but sometimes it brings a lot of angst too. Schools are bound by law to follow school admissions proceedures to the letter and PP is not part of that - yet : SEN, where you live, siblings...these are the deciding criteria on the school admissions list.
Now what does concern me is the fact that The government have decided that 'Values' have suddenly become 'British' , the list they give describing what British values are are the values of millions of people in the world, the United Nations qoute the same values, my nephews wife in Israel promotes the same values ( though her gov don't seem to), my American neighbours have the same values- the French owners of my gite in discussions yesterday showed me they have the same values- how come these values have suddenly become British?!
It's raining here in France, I hope Bertha isn't causing too much damage in Britain today.

Simona
10-08-2014, 08:49 AM
I think you may have had a little bee in your bonnet last night.
In the cold light of day :
It's not really discriminating setting a level of education standard for childminders, you cannot apply for a teaching course without having passed your basic skills for teaching now - even if you have a gcse in maths and English. My friend's son needed basic skills and 5 gcse's to apply for an apprenticeship course at Rover....in order that you can prove you are capable of taking on further study....you have to have a basic level of English and Maths under your hat. It's just different, because before the gov brought in the requirement of a level 3 - you could be a childminder with no qualifications. There is no point of taking up a place on a pre reg course if you haven't got the standard of education to complete a level 3 course yet. Things move on - when I studied to be a teacher you did not need a levels or a degree!

Pupil Premium : I assure you, school's will not be favouring children that come with a pupil premium. PP brings money, yes, but sometimes it brings a lot of angst too. Schools are bound by law to follow school admissions proceedures to the letter and PP is not part of that - yet : SEN, where you live, siblings...these are the deciding criteria on the school admissions list.
Now what does concern me is the fact that The government have decided that 'Values' have suddenly become 'British' , the list they give describing what British values are are the values of millions of people in the world, the United Nations qoute the same values, my nephews wife in Israel promotes the same values ( though her gov don't seem to), my American neighbours have the same values- the French owners of my gite in discussions yesterday showed me they have the same values- how come these values have suddenly become British?!
It's raining here in France, I hope Bertha isn't causing too much damage in Britain today.

It's raining cats and dogs in some parts of UK today Flora Dora!!!

I do agree that we need some education standards before we can teach children and for CMs also run a small business
I wonder why CMs get so cross at having to have basic skills and qualifications?....I am not sure
Some say experience is most important but that ...alongside basic qualifications would be a good combination?

Unfortunately this govt has removed the need for CMs to be qualified at Level 3...the previous govt was going to make it a requirement by 2015
Mum 67...I think that is the discriminatory issue...why all settings but not CMs?
In nurseries and preschools their Level of qualifications is very important...in fact it is basically hierarchical...those with Level 3 have more responsibilities and can manage...CMs bear ALL responsibilities in our settings so it can only be in our interest to be well qualified?

The PP will be accessible to all settings who have children that fit the criteria but we will have to wait and see how LAs pass it on to us

I believe there is a consultation on the PP open right now if you want to have your say...deadline 22 August

https://www.gov.uk/government/consultations/early-years-pupil-premium-and-funding-for-2-year-olds

We are waiting with baited breath to hear from the new Secretary what these British values are and how they can be included in the EYFS...when they already are there and, as you say, apply to everyone on earth
The minister and her team may be wise to read the EYFS first before tinkering with it again ...and what will Ofsted expect to see in their inspection is rather puzzling?

mum67
10-08-2014, 02:04 PM
Yes Floradora I did have a very large bee in my bonnet :) think it's the school hols tiring me out and trying to please everyone all the time and the fact no holiday for us this year (house needs work doing) so getting it from my children about the "Stupid house this and that".

I do agree with yourself and Simona about having a knowledge to be a childminder and it can only be for the good of any child if their carer is also learning more and more all the time.

It just seems unfair to me that some people who are not very good with English and Maths can't become a childminder, I know lots of people who are brilliant with children, they play with them, talk to them and join in with what ever they want them to but they would be really stuck to write it all down for Ofsted to make sense of it. So that's where I see the Equality Act as unfair.
The Pupil Premium I only know a little about it and know my local school gained thousands from it. That's why I am looking forward to the meeting I am booked on to find out more about how we may gain or not from it.

I will read the link you sent to me Simona.

Thanks for your replies both of you:)

Simona
11-08-2014, 08:31 AM
Yes Floradora I did have a very large bee in my bonnet :) think it's the school hols tiring me out and trying to please everyone all the time and the fact no holiday for us this year (house needs work doing) so getting it from my children about the "Stupid house this and that".

I do agree with yourself and Simona about having a knowledge to be a childminder and it can only be for the good of any child if their carer is also learning more and more all the time.

It just seems unfair to me that some people who are not very good with English and Maths can't become a childminder, I know lots of people who are brilliant with children, they play with them, talk to them and join in with what ever they want them to but they would be really stuck to write it all down for Ofsted to make sense of it. So that's where I see the Equality Act as unfair.
The Pupil Premium I only know a little about it and know my local school gained thousands from it. That's why I am looking forward to the meeting I am booked on to find out more about how we may gain or not from it.

I will read the link you sent to me Simona.

Thanks for your replies both of you:)

From experience.... I know people who look after children but because they do not have good English feel unable to do the work properly...or so they perceive this in themselves...they worry about understanding paperwork and much more
Because they have little grasp of maths they struggle with running a small business and understanding what it entails or how to do their own accounts properly
Remember when Truss said CMs needed help to run their businesses?...wonder why she said that?
A level 3 gives just the basics o0f childcare but it maybe enough to give more confidence

I personally think that 'hands on' experience and qualifications go hand in hand...no point in having a Masters if you do not like children and have no empathy with them?
I know many disagree... but why should 'childcare' not be seen as a career with qualifications which is basic knowledge of child development and legislation

I clearly remember Prof Cathy Nutbrown when she reported that young girls are often given 2 choices: 'hair or care' if not seen as academic...she was so right

mum67
11-08-2014, 03:42 PM
Your both right I do see it as necessary sometimes to have these guidelines. Also for too long childminders have been seen as merely a babysitter so the strict rules can prove to the ignorant what a difficult job it is.
I suppose really it is a matter of taking advantage of the great education we have in this country and using it to gain the results and qualifications to get the career you want.
:)