PDA

View Full Version : childminders in rural locations

kmc13
09-08-2014, 02:16 PM
Hi,

I've been registered since March this year and after many enquiries/interviews I haven't had any parents interested in using me yet. There were a few parents who didn't need child care until September but I've not heard from them either. I think it may be my rural location that is putting parents off. The nearest village is about a 5/10min drive therefore I don't want to be looking after school age children because I only have 2 spare seats in my car. To walk it would take about 40mins. So financially it wouldn't be worth it.

Are there any other childminders who have had this problem?

I'm also due my Ofsted inspection in the next few weeks which I realise has to go ahead whether I have children on roll or not.

Any advice would be really appreciated. Thanks

clareelizabeth1
09-08-2014, 03:53 PM
You can prospne your OFSTED inspection they will ring and ask if you have any on roll. Mine was held back 6 months.

I am rural and it took longer to get kids on role than most other minders further in town. But once I got them my name became known and I haven't had space free for long since. I now have parents that put a 20 minute drive on to their commute just to use me. So I will work it might just take longer to start.

FussyElmo
09-08-2014, 04:10 PM
You can prospne your OFSTED inspection they will ring and ask if you have any on roll. Mine was held back 6 months.

I am rural and it took longer to get kids on role than most other minders further in town. But once I got them my name became known and I haven't had space free for long since. I now have parents that put a 20 minute drive on to their commute just to use me. So I will work it might just take longer to start.

They are not postponing inspections anymore. They will just give you a grading of met or not met.

AliceK
09-08-2014, 04:54 PM
One of my childminders for my DS used to live in a very rural spot. I loved where she lived and I happily drove about 20 mins out of my way to divert on my journey to get to her. I would love to live somewhere rural with lots of ground :) I have lived on a few farms over the years but not since DS was born 10 yrs ago, I love country life and hate living in suburbia.

xxx

tulip0803
09-08-2014, 09:32 PM
I live outside of a village and am unable to walk to it but not quite as far as you. It took a while to get going I worked part-time for quite a while. I am full now, people now know me and I have a good reputation, local people speak to each other.

One of the childminders in the group I belong to lives in a very rural position and has 2 assistants now working with her.

Where-ever you are it can take time to get going being rural has drawbacks to some people but others see it as positives.

kmc13
09-08-2014, 09:50 PM
That sounds reassuring, thanks everyone :)

KateA
11-08-2014, 11:15 AM
Hi, sorry you can no longer postpone inspections you will need to have an inspection with no children on your role. ( I had this in June)

They come round and look at all your paperwork etc again its very similar to the pre reg visit. You will then get the grading met or not met and this will be your grading until next wave of inspections. I think its silly I know lots of local childminders who have not inspected in over 6 years yet they had to do me within 6 months! Near all the ladies I trained with have had this type of inspection.