PDA

View Full Version : Government Agencies Consultation response and Pacey's response to it.

rickysmiths
08-08-2014, 06:41 PM
Today the Government has released their response to the Agencies Consultation.

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/342123/CMA_and_LA_role_consultation_-_Final.pdf

Pacey have responded very quickly with this statement:

http://www.**************/news/news/august_2014_news/agencies_consultation_response.aspx

This is daft! I had a feeling the link would be stared out! Pacey's response is on their web site..

Mouse
08-08-2014, 08:05 PM
Thank you RS. I found the Pacey response.

Have I missed something glaringly obvious, but why does a consultation on CMAs include sections on creationism as science & extremist views? I was sure I replied to this consultation, but I certainly don't remember any questions about that, so now I'm wondering if I did :huh:

Simona
08-08-2014, 08:30 PM
Thank you RS. I found the Pacey response.

Have I missed something glaringly obvious, but why does a consultation on CMAs include sections on creationism as science & extremist views? I was sure I replied to this consultation, but I certainly don't remember any questions about that, so now I'm wondering if I did :huh:

Don't worry Mouse...it looks like another consultation is on the way to get our views on how to teach 'British values' to young children and then...another change to EYFS!
Not sure anyone in the new ministerial team at the DfE has actually read the EYFS and specifically Understanding the World

Joy :thumbsup:

here is PLA response

https://www.pre-school.org.uk/media/press-releases/533/alliance-responds-to-government-announcement-about-teaching-fundamental-british-values-in-the-early-years

Chatterbox Childcare
09-08-2014, 10:40 AM
Well the numbers show how many childminders actually can be bothered - 59 what a joke. When this all comes into play and everyone moans "oh I didn't know about the consultation and I can't get any work" my response is not going to be nice - annoyed ):

sarah707
09-08-2014, 11:12 AM
I think most childminders are fed up of responding to consultations that aren't making a jot of difference to what they push ahead and do :(

I have written lots of guidance to responses in the past and cms still don't respond. They are disheartened and many don't really understand what is happening or what the questions in the consultations are - made worse because many of the responses don't give the opportunity to say what they really think :(

Ho hum ... we battle on x

Simona
09-08-2014, 09:03 PM
The consultation was primarily on CPD for CMs who join and agency...judging by the statistics many were 'not sure' which means a lot of respondents did not understand the questions either
The other half of the consultation was on the role of the LAs...or their diminishing role

As independent CMs we need to think outside of the box and respond to any consultation in our own words and how we feel it affects us in future

The thread is now looking at 2 issues:
- the consultation and
- the govt intention to give LAs powers to withdraw funding from providers who do not teach 'British values' ....as the new Education Secretary, Nicky Morgan announced yesterday
her statement is causing huge concerns because values are taught in the EYFS and have for a very long time even before EYFS 2008
this means both EYFS and inspections will have to be updated...again ....and 'British values' clearly defined as PLA states clearly alongside NDNA and Pacey too

How will LAs withdraw funding if they find providers are 'radicalising' young children?...is there any evidence of that?
Either their role is diminished or new powers are given to them...which is which?
Considering LAs are struggling to fund early education ...how will they feel about taking funding away from providers? will they need to inspect provider for evidence?...how? when they hardly have any staff left in some areas

This is not a comfortable issue and stems from the 'Trojan horse' incident...
I am sure we will hear more on this in future...those on LinkedIn can follow the discussions there

rickysmiths
09-08-2014, 10:14 PM
I am confused about LA funding for the Early Years because in Hertfordshire they still seem to be putting on Free Training for all the Privately run, profit making Pre Schools and Day nurseries but not for Childminders? Childminders are being charged more than ever for First Aid etc and since last year they have added another 20% in the form of VAT!!!

Simona
10-08-2014, 07:35 AM
I am confused about LA funding for the Early Years because in Hertfordshire they still seem to be putting on Free Training for all the Privately run, profit making Pre Schools and Day nurseries but not for Childminders? Childminders are being charged more than ever for First Aid etc and since last year they have added another 20% in the form of VAT!!!

It is really not clear what type of funding the SoS is threatening to cut from providers...or in this case nurseries...as she fails to mention that it is not just nurseries who provide Early Education...

I assume...possibly wrong...that she is talking about the funding for the subsidised hours of education?...but I fail to understand who this will benefit?

I am following this issue with interest

I am appalled that your LA can charge VAT....I would certainly challenge that or we are going to end up with another situation where each of the 152 LAs creates its own rules and go unchallenged as they have for the funding for free education which they have kept low for years and years.

mum67
15-08-2014, 09:41 PM
The consultation was primarily on CPD for CMs who join and agency...judging by the statistics many were 'not sure' which means a lot of respondents did not understand the questions either
The other half of the consultation was on the role of the LAs...or their diminishing role

As independent CMs we need to think outside of the box and respond to any consultation in our own words and how we feel it affects us in future

The thread is now looking at 2 issues:
- the consultation and
- the govt intention to give LAs powers to withdraw funding from providers who do not teach 'British values' ....as the new Education Secretary, Nicky Morgan announced yesterday
her statement is causing huge concerns because values are taught in the EYFS and have for a very long time even before EYFS 2008
this means both EYFS and inspections will have to be updated...again ....and 'British values' clearly defined as PLA states clearly alongside NDNA and Pacey too

How will LAs withdraw funding if they find providers are 'radicalising' young children?...is there any evidence of that?

Either their role is diminished or new powers are given to them...which is which?
Considering LAs are struggling to fund early education ...how will they feel about taking funding away from providers? will they need to inspect provider for evidence?...how? when they hardly have any staff left in some areas

This is not a comfortable issue and stems from the 'Trojan horse' incident...
I am sure we will hear more on this in future...those on LinkedIn can follow the discussions there

I am following this with interest now I have read it. I am still waiting for my DO to call and sign me up for the funded hours but from all I read about it I don't know if I want to bother now. New rules seem to always come in but who ever sets them never seems to know what they are doing and why it makes sense to do it.
Also what was the 'Trojan horse' incident Simona, are you referring to history in light humour or is it something to do with a change of the EYFS. Sorry if I seem dim here but if it is something relevant to the actual changes that are being constantly made I would like to read about it.

Simona
16-08-2014, 07:47 AM
I am following this with interest now I have read it. I am still waiting for my DO to call and sign me up for the funded hours but from all I read about it I don't know if I want to bother now. New rules seem to always come in but who ever sets them never seems to know what they are doing and why it makes sense to do it.
Also what was the 'Trojan horse' incident Simona, are you referring to history in light humour or is it something to do with a change of the EYFS. Sorry if I seem dim here but if it is something relevant to the actual changes that are being constantly made I would like to read about it.

If you contact your LA EY finance dept they will be able to send you forms in September for you to draw funding ...first you need to tell them the children on roll, which some LAs call a Census, they process the forms and pay you...each LA has different ways of paying and different rates

To qualify to go on the Directory of Providers...all you need is a Good/outstanding grade at last inspection so not sure what your DO has to do...there are no other conditions attached and you do not need her permission to draw funding
In Sept LAs will need to find places for 2 yo as there is an acute shortage...LAs will also be paid 'by result' for the children they have places for...so putting obstacles in our way or delaying you in drawing funding is counterproductive

If you have not been inspected yet and are waiting...sorry not sure if you have had your 1st inspection yet?...I think a call to Ofsted would help saying you have families waiting to start and who need to draw funding

The Trojan Horse incident happened in Birmingham recently where schools where supposed to be spreading Islamism or such like...it was all over the news for days
It happened under Gove ...with Ofsted involved
Morgan is basically following in Gove' s footsteps and is threatening to take our funding away if we are found to radicalise young children?...because of her announcement both EYFS and inspection framework have to be updated again

mum67
16-08-2014, 04:40 PM
Thank You Simona

I am waiting on my first inspection, :eek: after reading about all the polava around the funding I don't know if I want to bother with it :D

Aahh now I know what the Trojan horse is, yes I read and heard all about it but didn't connect it to the name. Really don't see how 0-5 year olds could be radicallised at such a young age unless it's drummed into them from day one every day by their main carers, and surely under our safeguarding training if we had concerns we would report them, this British values thing is so messed up. If it wasn't taken from us in the first place we wouldn't have an issue with it now, but that's another long story and Thread.:)

Really want to get at least a good on inspection for myself more than anything but no matter what I do there always seems to be more to add to it or do in the house, garden.

Think I came into childminding at the wrong time, I wonder if I can get my old job back:laughing:

Thanks again Simona

Chatterbox Childcare
16-08-2014, 05:48 PM
We are never going to get the LA's to be the same because they all have different priorities. the only part that can be guaranteed is the funding for 2,3&4 year olds as it is ringfenced.

rickysmith - ring your LA and ask why you are being discriminated against. Talk to PACEY and ask them to take it up for you. they have sway with the DFE

Simona
16-08-2014, 08:28 PM
We are never going to get the LA's to be the same because they all have different priorities. the only part that can be guaranteed is the funding for 2,3&4 year olds as it is ringfenced.

rickysmith - ring your LA and ask why you are being discriminated against. Talk to PACEY and ask them to take it up for you. they have sway with the DFE

That's interesting because one of the first policies introduced by this govt was the removal of 'ringfencing'
Has it been reintroduced?...would you post a link to this announcement if you have one Chatterbox?

Kiddleywinks
17-08-2014, 07:41 AM

Apparently, the funding isn't ring fenced and this is obviously causing issues.
During the recent (mid July) meeting, Lords select committee enquiring about affordable childcare, this very issue was brought up.
I got the impression that the committee were under the impression that all providers were receiving the rates being quoted by the government, and were surprised to learn that not only were some providers receiving far less, but that the rate varied across the country.

Simona
17-08-2014, 08:37 AM
Apparently, the funding isn't ring fenced and this is obviously causing issues.
During the recent (mid July) meeting, Lords select committee enquiring about affordable childcare, this very issue was brought up.
I got the impression that the committee were under the impression that all providers were receiving the rates being quoted by the government, and were surprised to learn that not only were some providers receiving far less, but that the rate varied across the country.

Thank you for confirming that Kiddleywinks

I am pretty sure the funding has not been ringfenced since 2010 and that is what many campaigners are calling for..

Truss suggested that £5.09 be passed to all providers (I was at the conference when she herself announced this)...the results has been that some LAs have upped the offer but some who were offering above actually reduced the funding...that is what is unacceptable about LAs
And that in my view is what associations need to fight
In addition ...even when the funding was ringfenced it did not stop LAs giving us what they calculated as the Funding Formula...which varies from LA to LA and which is pitiful in some areas but is high enough to pay more than the current fees charged by CMs
Even then LAs were able to use the allocated funding for other purposes

The Pupil Premium...however...has been set at 53 p per hour per child...and no LA will dare mess about with this princely sum

The Lords I am afraid are rather in the dark about many things ...from discussions I have had
Does anyone remember one particular Lord looking into agencies and not been aware that ALL cms are Ofsted inspected?