PDA

View Full Version : Food storage

flipflop20
08-08-2014, 09:34 AM
Hi, I am newly registered and expecting a visit from environmental health. I've been told they will just turn up with no warning. That scares me enough.

I've worked through the safer food better business booklet. The one question I have is:

I usually store all my veg and salad stuff in the salad box at the bottom of the fridge, then meat on the bottom shelf. Is this wrong? It states that salad and veg should be above the raw meat so what is the point of the salad box? I'm confused by this.

AliceK
08-08-2014, 09:39 AM
Hi, I am newly registered and expecting a visit from environmental health. I've been told they will just turn up with no warning. That scares me enough.

I've worked through the safer food better business booklet. The one question I have is:

I usually store all my veg and salad stuff in the salad box at the bottom of the fridge, then meat on the bottom shelf. Is this wrong? It states that salad and veg should be above the raw meat so what is the point of the salad box? I'm confused by this.

I've always been confused by this too, I mean what is the point of having salad / veg below raw meat??

They don't inspect us anymore in this area but when they did I got a call first to arrange a time to come and she never said anything about the way the food was stored in my fridges either although she did say the seal on one of the doors had a small split in it and should be replaced but when I questioned her on it she just told me to tape the small split over instead.

xxx

bunyip
08-08-2014, 09:45 AM
it's down to the way domestic fridges are designed differently to ones used in catering.

My EHO had no problem with me using the salad drawer for salad. However, I keep all meat, fish, etc. products in sealed plastic boxes anyway, so there is minimal chance of blood leaking and dripping onto a lower compartment.

One other thing:-

Everytime I hear a CM say "I'm been told....." my immediate response is "who told you? and did they know what the h3ll they were talking about?" Seriously, I'd call the EHO and ask them. Mine made an appointment for the initial visit. Like all LA departments they are running on very tight budgets, are aware that CMs are often out, not keeping to opening hours like a cafe or kebab shop, and have no desire to waste time and resources trying to inspect you when you're at the playpark.

Glitter
08-08-2014, 09:47 AM
The reason raw meat should be at the bottom of the fridge is because raw meat is covered in bacteria, which is killed during cooking. If raw meat (or it's juices) comes into contact with salad, the bacteria will be on the salad, and could be eaten by people.

Most domestic fridges are badly designed, as salad boxes are normally at the bottom. I just took the salad book out of the fridge and stored raw meat at the bottom. Salad stuff is stored at the top of my fridge.

Don't worry about environmental health. I was really worried about my inspection, but the inspector was lovely and just wanted to help. As long as you follow your safer food pack you will be fine.

With regards to the inspector just turning up, I explained to them that as a childminder I am often out during the day, or up to my elbows in playdough if I was at home. They were happy to make an appointment so I could talk to them properly. I would ring them and explain and see if this is possible.

flipflop20
08-08-2014, 07:07 PM
Thanks all, it's very confusing.

My LA childminder development officer told me they would just turn up and not make an appointment

greanan
08-08-2014, 07:11 PM
Hi, I am newly registered and expecting a visit from environmental health. I've been told they will just turn up with no warning. That scares me enough. I've worked through the safer food better business booklet. The one question I have is: I usually store all my veg and salad stuff in the salad box at the bottom of the fridge, then meat on the bottom shelf. Is this wrong? It states that salad and veg should be above the raw meat so what is the point of the salad box? I'm confused by this.

I had my environmental health visit 2 weeks ago. They phoned first to make sure id be in. I had my salad stuff in bottom drawer and he didn't mention it. I was really nervous before it but had no need to be as he was lovely and actually just wanted to help x

munch149
09-08-2014, 06:52 AM
I have two boxes at the bottom and use one for salad and one for meat. Don't know if this is wrong but neither are touching, meat can't drip on the veg so I would say contamination is very unlikely

ja-lula-belli
09-08-2014, 10:30 AM
Same here they called first to arrange a convenient time to visit. Also with us childminders it's a very basic visit of mostly questions which they write down your answers then a really quick inspection of your kitchen, prepare area and fridge.

I store my veg in baskets mostly but if I do have veggies in fridge they go above the meat.
I have taken my salad drawer out and keep my meat there instead.

I was so nervous of the visit but honestly it's very relaxed and simple.