PDA

View Full Version : Daily diaries

JKL
07-08-2014, 08:08 PM
Hi All,

I'm thinking of having daily diaries designed and made for my mindees with my logo etc on but as I'm just starting out I can't really decide what information I should include in a daily diary?

So far I'm thinking:

What we've done.
What they've eaten.

But I'm stuck as to what else to include?!?

Any suggestions welcomed!

TIA xx

moggy
07-08-2014, 08:25 PM
I just use a spiral bound A5 notebook- you can buy them in bulk packs of 10 online.
I used to print a nice cover with my logo and child's photo and name and stick it on the front with sticky backed plastic... but that is one of those things you do when you fist start out and then realise it was a bit OTT!
I just put a sticker with child's name on the front now.

I write date and then just note things as I go along so would read:

7th Aug 2014
Johnny was in a good mood this morning, we played with xxx and went out in the garden to look in the pond. Dirty nappy. Snack- oat cakes and apple slices. Out to the playground, Johnny loved the swings. Back for lunch- sandwiches, cucumber and a yoghurt. Nap 1pm-3pm, settled easily...

etc, etc.

That way i do not have to fit into a pre-determined template and can write in chronological order so parent can see what we did in the right order.
Parents write 1-2 paragraphs every day back to me. We start writing right after the previous entry so no wasted space- also a problem with preprinted diary template as can be a lot of wasted space or not enough space when there is a particular issue to write more about.

Personally, would not spend more than the few pence a spiral bound A5 notebook costs, parents are very happy and it does the job.

Mrs Scrubbit
07-08-2014, 09:11 PM
I agree wth moggy, I just use a notebook with a hard cover. Its a nice idea having a personally designed one but it can become costly as they often...get lost....end up all crumpled on the floor of the parents car .....get drink/food over them.... I've even had one returned in shreds as it was used by a non-attending sibling for drawing in and cutting up! Having said that most are valued and taken care of.....but there are times when...:panic: xx

mama2three
08-08-2014, 06:03 AM
I do sheets which go home each day , diaries weren't always coming back ..
they are very simple....

Kiddleywinks
08-08-2014, 06:33 AM
Similar to Moggy - but I do still stick a picture on the front :laughing:
I use a plain A5 ring book from Wilko's or Asda

Date
Meals/snacks and quantity eaten (More for fussy eaters/small eaters)
Nap time/s

How child was on arrival (general mood), and any verbal information received from home at drop off (Ofsted liked that ;))
Brief description of our day

Any other notes of interest: Wow moments, things needed for the following day, if there's an accident/incident report to complete, etc

I write on the right hand side, parents write on the left, and if they do make any comments, I always acknowledge I've seen it with a brief comment

Chatterbox Childcare
08-08-2014, 10:25 AM
I have mine printed £5 for a years worth of pages. Hope the information helps

hectors house
08-08-2014, 11:34 AM
I have a template that I made that says Morning Activities, snack, morning outings, lunch, afternoon activities, afternoon outings, tea - space underneath for sleep and nappies - I do a universal one for all the children I have on that day, fill it in on computer throughout the day and e-mail it to each parent every evening. I find this works well when one parent drops off but a different parent or grandparent collects in the afternoon - verbal handovers and messages weren't getting back to main parent. On my e-mail I just add little reminders about what they need to bring tomorrow etc - I wouldn't put anything confidential on it as it's a general e-mail.

rachelle
08-08-2014, 11:50 AM
My parents have their own log in on my website and diaries are on there - I can see when they've read them (but they don't know that!)
I have days planning, today I've enjoyed, snacks, meals, drinks, notes from setting /home and a space for a daily photo. A few comment occasionally.

It seems to work well and I have a record here then of what has been said / done and no danger of it not coming back!

NinkyNonk
08-08-2014, 02:47 PM
Do we have to supply daily diaries/sheets? I have a parent who isn't bothered about having the info written down (in a nice way, in that she trusts me and is more interested in that than paperwork)...but would Ofsted prefer that I do?

mum67
08-08-2014, 06:27 PM
I agree wth moggy, I just use a notebook with a hard cover. Its a nice idea having a personally designed one but it can become costly as they often...get lost....end up all crumpled on the floor of the parents car .....get drink/food over them.... I've even had one returned in shreds as it was used by a non-attending sibling for drawing in and cutting up! Having said that most are valued and taken care of.....but there are times when...:panic: xx

Sorry Mrs scrubbit but this made me chuckle "I've had one returned in shreds etc.." it reminded me of the old story the teachers used to get when late with homework "Miss my baby niece chewed my work so I'll bring it in tomorrow", "mum said it's cos she is teething":laughing:.

Mrs Scrubbit
08-08-2014, 06:42 PM
Sorry Mrs scrubbit but this made me chuckle "I've had one returned in shreds etc.." it reminded me of the old story the teachers used to get when late with homework "Miss my baby niece chewed my work so I'll bring it in tomorrow", "mum said it's cos she is teething":laughing:.

OOOOOOOOOOOO........ I feel the start of a new thread maybe? xx:D