PDA

View Full Version : Allotments....

Gherkin
29-07-2008, 06:11 AM
Do any of you have one? Do you take your mindees to it? My plan is to have a childminding corner on mine where they can dig (to stop them digging my garden up which is what has been happening all year).

Any suggested wording for a permission slip would be helpful. I have been trying to work on one but my brain has gone in to sun mode and has switched off. :o

Donkey
29-07-2008, 07:11 AM
wow I think its a great idea, but the risk assessment aspect will be a nightmare imho

all the allotments I have seen are massive spaces and the children can run in opposite directions, there are safeguarding aspects too as no one is screened before being given an allotment.

if you do go ahead please let me know how it works out. this would be something I would love to do but franly do not have the bottle for!!!

:littleangel:

Gherkin
29-07-2008, 09:08 PM
Our allotments are not massive and are completly fenced in they are either side of a path. As most of the people work in office jobs etc I seem to be the only one who is there during the day in the week which works quite well.

At the moment it is just mud as we are all starting from scratch so that is quite good. Also the risk assessment looks quite easy so far due to the fact that there is nothing up there (this will change).

Also my Ofsted inspector loved the fact that we were getting the allotment. We already grow a little bit of veg in the garden but she like the idea of the mindees having their own area etc.

I am hoping that this time next year I am not giving loads of money to Tesco for my veg and salad!

miffy
29-07-2008, 09:12 PM
I think it's a great idea and totally in keeping with EYFS (outdoor environment).

These days some children wouldn't recognise vegetables if they saw them growing because they only ever see them prepacked in the supermarket or frozen.

Good luck with it

Miffy xx

Rubybubbles
29-07-2008, 09:36 PM
not got an allotment but have always grown stuff with the children, they have there 'patch' and love going out to see how everything is growing. We done most things in pots this year though as wasn't sure if we were moving and wanted to take things with me:o

If I lived somewhere for longer than 5 minutes I would love one, good luck hun

Donkey
30-07-2008, 10:47 AM
I grow stuff in my garden too and would love to expand it!

I use trugs, currently we have lettuce in trays, strawberries in baskets, alpine strawberries in a pot, potatoes, carrots, celery, parsnips, spinach, 2 types of tomatoes and leaf beat.

its no wonder other half goes mad when I go out first thing to water it all.

i just know my local allotments are massive and people are about all day :)