PDA

View Full Version : Biting

toddlers896
06-08-2014, 09:17 PM
Ok so biting is a normal part of growing up in toddlers and happens in terrible twos (so I've been told), so does that mean we as a childminder have to grin and bear it and hope it will pass soon. :panic:

FussyElmo
06-08-2014, 09:25 PM
Ok so biting is a normal part of growing up in toddlers and happens in terrible twos (so I've been told), so does that mean we as a childminder have to grin and bear it and hope it will pass soon. :panic:

not exactly grin and bear it but with a biter you have to shadow and be very vigilant

mama2three
07-08-2014, 06:07 AM
Biters are blippin hard work..I have 2! One only bites her brother - fingers crossed she hasn't done it here yet but because I know she does it at home I have to be vigilant.
The other little boy is shadowed , he has learned to use his size to get what he wants , snatching , pushing , biting. I must say 'gentle hands' fifty times a day. Mum is great and we are working together - so far from grinning and bearing it Im working hard to help him get through it and come out a pleasant little thing!!

toddlers896
07-08-2014, 06:32 AM
Biters are blippin hard work..I have 2! One only bites her brother - fingers crossed she hasn't done it here yet but because I know she does it at home I have to be vigilant.
The other little boy is shadowed , he has learned to use his size to get what he wants , snatching , pushing , biting. I must say 'gentle hands' fifty times a day. Mum is great and we are working together - so far from grinning and bearing it Im working hard to help him get through it and come out a pleasant little thing!!

The hardest part of this job that I find is discussing behaviour issues with the parents. I find they take it very personal and then I feel really bad/guilty that I approached them about the subject. I then question myself as to wether I am over reacting about everything and as I keep being told it's all part of the job and I have to grin and bear it.

Chimps Childminding
07-08-2014, 02:29 PM
It's so hard when you have a biter :( we have had one for 11 months, (he is 28months now) and despite
taking any and all advise from Health Visitor, Parents and Nursery, he still does it, he also grabs faces etc.

We have tried time out, emphasising good hands etc, being nice, playing nicely, and he is shadowed constantly, but the minute to turn your back to attend to another child he gets someone! It's tiring as much as anything :( not sure how much longer we can persevere, particularly with 2 new babies starting after September (I work with a co-minder)

Any further advise would be great fully received as we are struggling!