PDA

View Full Version : Will i regret promising space?

smurfette
06-08-2014, 03:57 PM
Have a space coming up next week saw a lovely couple last night who need dec start .. It's a three day week and ideally I need four or I will have a two day space to fill. They want to go ahead , I am seeing a nov start lady tonight but both are a long way away,, no bites on anything sooner tho :( what to do?!!

smurfette
06-08-2014, 06:15 PM
Nov start lady wants a couple of days to see about work days if they fit for her .. How do I put off other one while I wait?! Honestly preferred lady last night though but it's four weeks earlier start

shortstuff
06-08-2014, 07:38 PM
maybe mention to Dec lady that you have another enquiry so could she please give you an answer?

smurfette
06-08-2014, 08:40 PM
maybe mention to Dec lady that you have another enquiry so could she please give you an answer?

Dec lady definitely wants to use my service , nov lady needs a couple of days .. Not hundred per cent sure she will sign few things she said ..

shortstuff
06-08-2014, 09:57 PM
Fun times ahead then xx

smurfette
06-08-2014, 10:57 PM
I think I will go back to her and ask for a 50% retainer .. How does that work if she wants to use some hours I find It confusing? If she doesn't go for it I have nothing to lose still some time to go before December , they were lovely people and I think I could work well with them so will play that up in email? Would be happier with a four day week space if I could get it but it rarely happens that way!

shortstuff
07-08-2014, 04:40 AM
I think I will go back to her and ask for a 50% retainer .. How does that work if she wants to use some hours I find It confusing? If she doesn't go for it I have nothing to lose still some time to go before December , they were lovely people and I think I could work well with them so will play that up in email? Would be happier with a four day week space if I could get it but it rarely happens that way!

I believe its that you charge the retainer and if they uee the hours they also top the fees up to full.

Kiddleywinks
07-08-2014, 05:31 AM
You do tend to find out who is the more serious about definitely wanting the space the minute parting with money is mentioned, so that in itself may make the decision for you....

Explain that the space is available now, so to hold it for them means you will have to turn down a, the other interested party, and b, any other interested parties between now and when they would like to start. That means that you are losing income/earning potential and yet have no guarantee that they wont change their mind in the meantime.
Because of this, a retainer of half fees, based on the expected hours, is paid.
This is unrefundable (unless the CM decides nearer the time to not start the contract)

Should they wish to use your services in the meantime, they can top up to the full hourly rate - This may take some explaining as parents think they get half the hours available to them without any additional payment, so they need to be made aware that if they want x amount of childcare 1 week for whatever reason, prior to the contract start date, they have already paid half, so would need to top up the other half.

Good luck

smurfette
07-08-2014, 12:54 PM
You do tend to find out who is the more serious about definitely wanting the space the minute parting with money is mentioned, so that in itself may make the decision for you.... Explain that the space is available now, so to hold it for them means you will have to turn down a, the other interested party, and b, any other interested parties between now and when they would like to start. That means that you are losing income/earning potential and yet have no guarantee that they wont change their mind in the meantime. Because of this, a retainer of half fees, based on the expected hours, is paid. This is unrefundable (unless the CM decides nearer the time to not start the contract) Should they wish to use your services in the meantime, they can top up to the full hourly rate - This may take some explaining as parents think they get half the hours available to them without any additional payment, so they need to be made aware that if they want x amount of childcare 1 week for whatever reason, prior to the contract start date, they have already paid half, so would need to top up the other half. Good luck

Thank you kiddleywinks, that helped me a lot phrasing my email! I have offered the option of a retainer or come back nearer time and see if I have a space .. They were keen and decided quickly so hoping they would go with it but if not I have nothing to lose. Lovely people but hopefully more lovely people around corner. I hve asked for 50% and as I don't like asking parents for money for nothing have said she can use the half hours for no extra fee (1.5 days) but if they need more they can pay for it., I would be happy to fill one and a half days a week and the little one is 6 months so I think it would be in my interest to settle her now rather than at 10 months which I have found very hard! Will see what they come back with , have told them to have a think and if other woman rings now I will get back to them and see what they want to do , but I don't think she is a good fit for me

Thanks both for support xx

shortstuff
07-08-2014, 01:00 PM
Im so pleased you have it sorted xx

smurfette
07-08-2014, 01:24 PM
Im so pleased you have it sorted xx

Thanks feel better now I have decided and taken control

shortstuff
07-08-2014, 01:26 PM
it always amazes me how much of a weight gets lifted. Im the same this week I made the decision to terminate a contract as it no longer worked for me and I was having guilt trips about the amount of actual quality time the child got.

smurfette
07-08-2014, 01:37 PM
it always amazes me how much of a weight gets lifted. Im the same this week I made the decision to terminate a contract as it no longer worked for me and I was having guilt trips about the amount of actual quality time the child got.

Have to do what's right for us but it's hard when we are used to putting others first ! Have u done it yet? Hugs for you x

shortstuff
07-08-2014, 03:18 PM
Have to do what's right for us but it's hard when we are used to putting others first ! Have u done it yet? Hugs for you x

I have done it. It was very amicable luckily or I would have felt guilty and offered to go back on it x

smurfette
07-08-2014, 04:00 PM
I have done it. It was very amicable luckily or I would have felt guilty and offered to go back on it x

Glad it's worked out ok,
Makes such a difference .. Will be a weight off x

shortstuff
07-08-2014, 05:57 PM
Glad it's worked out ok,
Makes such a difference .. Will be a weight off x

Yeah a bit like you when they sign on the dotted line x

smurfette
07-08-2014, 06:43 PM
Yeah a bit like you when they sign on the dotted line x

Fingers crossed!!

shortstuff