PDA

View Full Version : working changing hours out...

Karen1
06-08-2014, 02:59 PM
Hope you can make this clear for me, getting confused.

I have parent, and only on day two, and already changing hours...

Payment made in advance for fixed hours for in total 84 hours this month.

Day one she wanted later start and earky finish. Today picked up three hours early, and now just text to ask for tomorrow earlier start, but states it is ok, as she has banked hours from earlier today!

Now i dont mind this, but it is going to get so messy and ridiculous, especially if im out on trips with child etc, not going to rush back with other kids cos she wants early pick up.

Do other people work like this? She said its because sometimes work leys her go early, but sometimrs she may have to work later, so i get feeling she may also text to say late pickbup too.

Should i just say pay for the hours stated and then if she has additional charge the following month and try to keep track of her banked hours! Nitemare.

Any advise on this tia

Koala
06-08-2014, 03:13 PM
Run a mile!!

It is entirely up to you but you have to be happy with what you do arrange.

Personally I would not like the uncertainty, I like to plan my days and work to what suits everyone, early pick ups can unsettle not just the parents child but also all the others as they often measure time by association and if one child is collected often they associate this with their turn or if activities are cut short like you have mentioned this puts strain on you and in turn on everyone else, early drop offs can also put a strain on you and your family, be sure everyone in your household is happy with it. And late pick ups too, this is going to rule your life.

And as for banking hours :panic: :panic: not on my watch - I need a steady income too. I don't bank the extra hours I work outside my contracted hours and ask parents for day's in lieu. I would need to insist on regular daily hours at the very least, but that's me.
You may not mind it now but it sounds like a tricky situation and one that will leave you feeling out of control and dreading the phone waiting to see what you are doing. :thumbsup:

mama2three
06-08-2014, 03:23 PM
Put your foot down NOW

She pays in advance for the hours she needs.
Picking up early is fine , but you are paid for your contracted hours.
Explain it to her that she is playing to book the space , regardless of whether she uses it .

Don't let this go on for another day even , she needs to know the terms , now!

Mummits
06-08-2014, 03:41 PM
Totally agree - I offer contracts for an agreed regular pattern of days and hours and the rule is if you book those hours you pay for them. I don't swap hours or allow people to bank hours. If I let one parent do this I'd have to let all of them and it would not only be mayhem, I would never know what money I had coming in.

If parents want to pick up early, they have to let me know, and they still have to pay up to their regular finishing time. If they want an extra day or extra hours they have to book and pay for them, and once they are booked and paid for they are fixed. Okay I might exceptionally be lenient on some of these rules if I am feeling kind, but nobody is under any illusion that these are the rules and they will generally be stuck to.

You need to clamp down hard and fast on parents who try to tell you how to run your business or you will quickly come to resent how they impose on you.

Karen1
06-08-2014, 03:47 PM
Thanks for the replies. Yeah, i need to get this sorted asap as dont want to be out of control then losing out.

Think im going to say to her, does she need to reduce her hours, then any additional hours can be paid for as needed, so not going to bank them-really dont like that idea!

Does anyone do that?bank hours!

Normally if a mum collects earlybthey dont get a refund!!

Also going to tell her to give me as much notice as she can during day if early pick up and going to say im not working past 5.30pm, wjich she knew from meetings and paperwork, so no late late nights.also, if im out, and she needs early pick up she will have to wait till im back and will pay until collection, so not to be disruptive to others.

Also will review at end of august to c how it is working out.

Anything else, cant believe its only day 2 and shes swopping around.

Dont like sorting this stuff, but will talk to her in mirning about it all. Least im still in four week settling period.

K

littlebears1009
06-08-2014, 04:04 PM
I have in my hours and fees policy that contracted hours are to be paid for whether they are used or not. It also states that a late drop off does not therefore entitle to late pick up they must still collect at the contracted time and same the other way round, early pick up does not mean early drop off. I would nip it in the bud now, explain that she may not drop off or pick up outside of the contracted hours as you may have planned personal arrangements as this is your personal time you are not being paid for, and also you could tell her at drop off your plans for the day and lo will be available for pick up from x time should she finish early x

tigwig
06-08-2014, 09:25 PM
Just echoing what everyone else has said really. You need to stress the terms and conditions of the contract. .. again! Make sure the cheeky mare understands lol. At least you are still in the settling in period which is a big bonus cos if this parents attitude doesn't change quick I would show her the door!

Kiddleywinks
06-08-2014, 10:33 PM
I do a 'xx amount of hours per week' contract due to parents dodgy hours.
The way we worked it was:
xx amount of hours per week, between hours of 8am and 6pm, mon -thur.
The hours are to be booked in no later than the friday before, any hours booked are taken off allowance, if collected early, they're still paid for.
Additional hours are to be arranged in advance, may not be available due to prior commitments/ratios, and once booked and agreed IN WRITING by me, are payable regardless of attendance.

Check your contract first, is there anything in there that mentions unused hours are still payable?

mum67
06-08-2014, 10:55 PM
Did she make up the "Banked hours" rule herself or did you unwittingly mention it somewhere yourself? This reminds me so much of something that happened to me not so long ago, no sooner the contract signed and within a couple of weeks the whole contract was crossed out, signed, crossed out, signed. It was madness so I put my foot down and gave ultimatum. These are the hours we have agreed on now either take them or leave them as I am not changing them any more. It worked mum stopped messing about. If she came with a comment of banked hours I think I would have banked her out the door:D

Can't believe how common it is that parents chop and change and think we have no other children to think of or bills to pay.

Simona
07-08-2014, 07:12 AM
Hope you can make this clear for me, getting confused.

I have parent, and only on day two, and already changing hours...

Payment made in advance for fixed hours for in total 84 hours this month.

Day one she wanted later start and earky finish. Today picked up three hours early, and now just text to ask for tomorrow earlier start, but states it is ok, as she has banked hours from earlier today!

Now i dont mind this, but it is going to get so messy and ridiculous, especially if im out on trips with child etc, not going to rush back with other kids cos she wants early pick up.

Do other people work like this? She said its because sometimes work leys her go early, but sometimrs she may have to work later, so i get feeling she may also text to say late pickbup too.

Should i just say pay for the hours stated and then if she has additional charge the following month and try to keep track of her banked hours! Nitemare.

Any advise on this tia

This parent requires 'VARIABLE hours' contract...this is different from 'flexible hours' where the hours are the same each week but at different times or days.

Totally up to you if you do not mind losing your routine and never knowing when you start and finish and it does not inconvenience the other children

You need to add special Terms and Conditions...or clause... in your contract and may want to charge a little extra if working before 8am and after 6pm
Whatever you do keep track of the hours you work as this parent may be unable to pay all your fees in advance you may have to invoice her in arrears every month...or invoice her for a certain amount of hours at the start of the month and then add the extras
Also it would be advisable to take a 4 week deposit...

Good luck ...keep us posted :thumbsup:

Karen1
07-08-2014, 09:04 AM
Wow, thanks for all tje advice.

I spoke to mum earlier (child asleep) only him today so ok.

Mum said she thought that was how it worked as she was paying for the hours!

Anyway, we have agreed she will pay for fixed hours as per contract each month, but she can start/pick up later/early as long as i have space/availability to do so. Said she understood that i may not bevable to swop around as have shift worker and two part timers, but can inly guarantee the contracted hours.

I will keep record of hours she is using over the month, if she goes under what shes paid fir-no refund, and will pay for any extra on next month.

Also said would trial it, as never worked like this before and if it got confusing or i couldnt do the extra hours then would have to be giving notice.

I think i shocked myself saying it all, but glad i did,ñ.

Now just need to get it all in writing and sort out a grid of hours had etc.

Oh, this job is never straight forward.

Have i missed anything or should i redo contract?