PDA

View Full Version : Need help with pre-reg inspection please!

Willowdancer
28-07-2008, 09:40 PM
Ofsted phoned this morning and they are coming to do my pre-reg inspection on Wednesday.

I mentioned to her that both my front and back gardens are hideous and I have no intention of registering them, but can anybody advise on the following?

a) will the inspector want to look inside my fridge? It is due for a proper clean (other than wiping up spills etc), so I will do it tomorrow if she is likely to peek inside, otherwise I have even more urgent things to sort and its not that bad so could wait until later this week.

b) I have my kitchen knives on a magnetic rack mounted on the wall above my hob. Is that likely to be a no-no? If so, I will move them to one of the drawers (which obviously have the safety catches on.)

Thanks!

Ali (trying not to panic too much!)

singlewiththree
28-07-2008, 09:56 PM
I'm not near an inspection yet but I went 2 pick my daughter up from her childminder today and funnily enough we were chatting about knives she said they have to be kept in a cupboard out of reach and that she got told off from Ofsted for having them in a knife block at the back of the worktop and that drawers are a definate no no, she didnt say anything about catches though but even with a catch on you have to move your chemicals high up so I presume it would be the same.

I'm going to clean my fridge for my pre-inspection visit just incase and my cooker hehe

Willowdancer
28-07-2008, 10:02 PM
Oh great - I will have to find some space to put them in one of my wall cupboards then I guess. They are chock full as it is :(

Annie_T
28-07-2008, 11:22 PM
Ofsted phoned this morning and they are coming to do my pre-reg inspection on Wednesday.

I mentioned to her that both my front and back gardens are hideous and I have no intention of registering them, but can anybody advise on the following?

a) will the inspector want to look inside my fridge? It is due for a proper clean (other than wiping up spills etc), so I will do it tomorrow if she is likely to peek inside, otherwise I have even more urgent things to sort and its not that bad so could wait until later this week. NO, well didnt mine .. just the area's you want use and then rest house - check for drugs etc (silly but see the point)

b) I have my kitchen knives on a magnetic rack mounted on the wall above my hob. Is that likely to be a no-no? If so, I will move them to one of the drawers (which obviously have the safety catches on.) i wouldnt know if a prob there hun sorry, but i know a cm has same thing but in a cupboard

Thanks!

Ali (trying not to panic too much!)

your be fine hun dont worry, xx

FizzysFriends
29-07-2008, 07:22 AM
My knives are in a draw with the child lock on and at my pre-reg she said that was fine.

You dont have to have everything done for pre-reg, just tell her what you are planning on doing and why.

Willowdancer
29-07-2008, 01:32 PM
Thanks guys!

Have decided to forego the fridge cleaning until after Wednesday, so I've been cleaning my lounge carpet with one of those Rug Doctor machines instead. Definitely needed doing as it received a huuuuuuuuuuge coffee stain last week and our upright Vax thingy didn't touch it.

Yuk, is all I can say!

Cheeky
29-07-2008, 01:32 PM
Hi Ali

I just had my Pre-Reg visit. Im going to put a stairgate at my kitchen door so the children just dont have access to that room, i do have a block with knives in it which sit at the back of the unit and she didnt think they would be a problem.

Regarding the fridge, my inspector never mentioned or looked inside mine. She did want to know however that i would prepare and handle food and drinks properly, ie always wash hands, use different chopping boards etc.

HTH

Good Luck im sure you'll be fine.

Nicx

Minstrel
29-07-2008, 02:15 PM
Just out of interest was rug doctor any good?

sue m
29-07-2008, 02:23 PM
Glad to know that Nic, thanks, I have a block of knives which are on my kitchen windowsill. They were at the back of the work top but I moved them higher.

Willowdancer
29-07-2008, 02:24 PM
Just out of interest was rug doctor any good?

Yes, very good in comparison with my Vax but can't compare it to one of those companies that comes in and does your carpets for you as we've never used one before.

2 hours later and it is still dragging muck out of my lounge carpet when the Vax would be saying it is clean! Still have my bathroom and bedroom to do yet! :eek:

Minstrel
29-07-2008, 02:30 PM
I know what DH is doing at the weekend now!!! Cheers x

sarah500
29-07-2008, 02:38 PM
i had my pre reg visit today and it really wasnt as bad as i was expecting!
she didnt look in my fridge at all or my cooker so i really wouldnt worry too much, just make sure you have a good understanding of the national standards and how you will adhere to them as most of my visit was the talking part ( fee quite dazed now to be honest with u!!)
she just walked around my house and i pointed out all the tings i will have in place when i start childminding such as safety gates etc.

my knives are on a block at the back of the coutertop and she said that they are fine there as they are totally out of reach so im guessing that as yours are on the wall then itll be fine!!

hope this helps
:thumbsup:

LittleAcorns
29-07-2008, 02:52 PM
At the pre reg, its really a chat to see if you are a suitable person, its quite informal and she will give you lots of info.

She may or may not give recommendations.....at my pre reg they suggested that I do something about a "drop" (3 leveled garden) but it was never actually put in writing.....today at my first Inspection with all the kids playing outside, the inspector asked how I would make sure the children were ok with the drops, I literally said that only the older ones play out there, after a talking to NOT to climb on the wall etc! I take the 2 toddlers to the park or Im following them around like a hawk in the garden!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

In a nutshell, try not to worry too much about the finer points, if jobs need doing, ie if you didnt get your carpets cleaned, just explain its on your "to do before minding" List!! :thumbsup: best of luck :thumbsup: