PDA

View Full Version : Car travel

flipflop20
06-08-2014, 07:17 AM
Hi, I have my first mindee this wk a 5yr old girl. I have my own 5yr old and 1yr old. I want to go into town with them today but this means car travel. What is the best way to transport them? I'd prefer them all on car seats but that would mean one in the front! Which one do I put in the front. My 1yr old is in a forward facing seat.

How do you do it?

mama2three
06-08-2014, 08:02 AM
They absolutely all have to be on car seats , no 'prefer' about it.
I would put my own in the front tbh. It always my own child that I take the 'higher risks' with !!
Wont 3 car seats fit across the back seat though?
Or maybe have an adventure on the bus!

Chatterbox Childcare
06-08-2014, 08:16 AM
Definately care seats are compulsory not optional. I would put the taller child in the front - look at turning the air bag off but check that your insurance still covers you. Alternatively, the bus is fun :)

gwm
06-08-2014, 08:18 AM
Car seats are a must for all under 12years old. Two car seats and a booster in the centre works ok. Or, one in the front....The oldest!

hectors house
06-08-2014, 08:41 AM
Use a high back booster seat in the front seat - put the front seat back as far as it will go. Put your own daughter in the front unless the parent gives permission for the mindee to be in the front. If you buy narrow car seats you can get 3 across the back of some cars - depending on the make.

AliceK
06-08-2014, 08:47 AM
Use a high back booster seat in the front seat - put the front seat back as far as it will go. Put your own daughter in the front unless the parent gives permission for the mindee to be in the front. If you buy narrow car seats you can get 3 across the back of some cars - depending on the make.

This is what I do. I put the eldest and usually the tallest child in the front and push the seat back as far as I can without crushing the child behind. I prefer one of my own children in the front but sometimes I only have minded children. Any child under 135cm MUST have a suitable car seat / booster seat.

xxxx

nikki thomson
07-08-2014, 07:54 AM
I just turn of the airbag. X

hectors house
07-08-2014, 09:50 AM
I just turn of the airbag. X

I always worry about doing that - what if the child received injuries which an airbag would have prevented? Technically you could be accused of turning off a life saving piece of equipment in order to fit another child in the car - money over safety. I just always put oldest/tallest child on high backed booster and put chair back as far as it will go.

moggy
07-08-2014, 01:52 PM
I always worry about doing that - what if the child received injuries which an airbag would have prevented? Technically you could be accused of turning off a life saving piece of equipment in order to fit another child in the car - money over safety. I just always put oldest/tallest child on high backed booster and put chair back as far as it will go.

I understand when a child in forward facing car seat in front, airbag would do more harm than good. That is why you turn it off (if you can).

carol cameron
07-08-2014, 05:28 PM
I can't fit 3 booster seats in the back of my car so do as other suggestions and put biggest child in the front.

flipflop20
07-08-2014, 09:19 PM
Thanks for all your help. That's what I have done.

When I said about prefer them all on booster seats, I thought if u have seats either side an older child can seat in the middle without a seat, I must be wrong on that.

AliceK
07-08-2014, 09:49 PM

When I said about prefer them all on booster seats, I thought if u have seats either side an older child can seat in the middle without a seat, I must be wrong on that.

Depends how tall they are, they must be 135cm minimum to not legally need a booster. Usually when a child gets to ten they are tall enough but check. I had this measurement marked on a door because my DS who is very small for his age couldn't wait to hit it lol.

xxx

rickysmiths
07-08-2014, 10:08 PM

No you are right. Have a look here:

https://www.gov.uk/child-car-seats-the-rules/when-a-child-can-travel-without-a-car-seat

But this is the bit for you:

Quoted from the above link:

No room for a third child seat
Children under 3 must be in a child car seat. If there’s no room for a third child seat in the back of the vehicle, the child must travel in the front seat with the correct child seat.

Children over 3 years can sit in the back using an adult belt.

LittleRabbits
08-08-2014, 12:10 AM
You only turn the air bag off for a rear facing seat. Forward facing seats u r supposed to leave air bag on and move passenger seat as far back as u can. (Without crushing child behind thou)

On childcarseats.org it states

'Q: There is a passenger airbag in front of my car: can I put a forward-facing child seat in the front passenger seat?

A: Yes, although it is safer for children to travel in the rear of the car.

If you must put a forward-facing seat in the front when there is an airbag present, make sure that the car seat is as far back as possible and the child seat is securely held to maximise the distance between the child and the airbag.

It is better not to place a forward-facing restraint in a seat with an airbag; try to avoid this if possible. If it is not possible, then check the advice of the vehicle manufacturer. Find out how far the airbag extends when deployed and ensure that your child is well outside the expansion area. Ensure that the passenger seat is as far back from the airbag as possible, that the child seat is very securely fitted and the child is securely held by the harness or seat belt.'

flipflop20
08-08-2014, 06:38 AM
No you are right. Have a look here: https://www.gov.uk/child-car-seats-the-rules/when-a-child-can-travel-without-a-car-seat But this is the bit for you: Quoted from the above link: No room for a third child seat Children under 3 must be in a child car seat. If there’s no room for a third child seat in the back of the vehicle, the child must travel in the front seat with the correct child seat. Children over 3 years can sit in the back using an adult belt.

Thanks I thought that was the case, id prefer not to do that so will use the front seat. And if I had to I would only ever put my daughter in there without a seat. But least I am not going mad :) and making things up in my head hahaha

rickysmiths
08-08-2014, 09:48 AM
You only turn the air bag off for a rear facing seat. Forward facing seats u r supposed to leave air bag on and move passenger seat as far back as u can. (Without crushing child behind thou)

On childcarseats.org it states

'Q: There is a passenger airbag in front of my car: can I put a forward-facing child seat in the front passenger seat?

A: Yes, although it is safer for children to travel in the rear of the car.

If you must put a forward-facing seat in the front when there is an airbag present, make sure that the car seat is as far back as possible and the child seat is securely held to maximise the distance between the child and the airbag.

It is better not to place a forward-facing restraint in a seat with an airbag; try to avoid this if possible. If it is not possible, then check the advice of the vehicle manufacturer. Find out how far the airbag extends when deployed and ensure that your child is well outside the expansion area. Ensure that the passenger seat is as far back from the airbag as possible, that the child seat is very securely fitted and the child is securely held by the harness or seat belt.'

However you should always follow the instructions of the car manufacturer as well and mine instructs me to disable the Air Bag if I have a child in any care seat in the front seat.

rickysmiths
08-08-2014, 09:54 AM
Thanks I thought that was the case, id prefer not to do that so will use the front seat. And if I had to I would only ever put my daughter in there without a seat. But least I am not going mad :) and making things up in my head hahaha

You can get narrow High backed boosters as well.

Nania Racer High Back Booster Seat - Group 1/2/3 | Car Seats | ASDA direct (http://direct.asda.com/Nania-Racer-High-Back-Booster-Seat---Group-1/2/3/002679224,default,pd.html)

I can get this in the middle of my back seat with a traditional 'bucket' baby seat each side.

I use one of these in the front seat. It can be used from 9mths to 12 years with a 3 point harness or with the adult seat belt. It adjusts in several different ways to grow with the child. It isn't cheap, you can get it cheaper than John Lewis but they had a good pic and link! It is a solid as a rock and a high quality.

Buy Britax Evolva 123 Plus Car Seat, Black Thunder | John Lewis (http://www.johnlewis.com/britax-evolva-123-plus-car-seat-black-thunder/p231779005)

Chatterbox Childcare
08-08-2014, 04:27 PM
It is all well and good to disable airbags but if your insurance company doesn't support this it could be a loop hole to disallow a claim. Please check before doing so

hectors house
08-08-2014, 07:51 PM
It is all well and good to disable airbags but if your insurance company doesn't support this it could be a loop hole to disallow a claim. Please check before doing so

That's what I thought they could turn round and say - there is a safety device fitted in your car but you chose to turn it off.

rickysmiths
09-08-2014, 10:08 PM
That's what I thought they could turn round and say - there is a safety device fitted in your car but you chose to turn it off.

I don't think that would be the case if you were following the car manufacturer's instructions. If you didn't follow those instructions the Insurance company could equally turn around if there were and accident and an injury caused because of the air bag that you should have disabled it?