PDA

View Full Version : Aarrgghhh DH!!

smurfette
05-08-2014, 12:25 PM
Just need a rant , had a row with dh this am... One of my mindees is leaving next week and I haven't yet managed to fill the space, saw two ladies last week but one the hours I have don't really work for her and the other has had family offer to look after baby

The only other enquiries I have had mostly have been for November / December .. Can't magic any others out of the sky but he has done his but this am saying I can't leave it that long! In my experience it's rare enough that you get someone needing care right now.! These other ladies want to meet me and I don't want to turn them down in case I can't get anyone sooner but I know it's several weeks with no pay. I have taken a retainer before but I don't want to put people off so won't probably ask for this this time

shortstuff
05-08-2014, 12:30 PM
I can sympathise, mine wouldnt understand either. They think we can control every aspect of our businesses 24/7.

I say meet the other people. Maybe they will love you and your setting so much they will place the child with you earlier.

ziggy
05-08-2014, 12:34 PM
Divorce him:laughing::laughing::laughing:

Mouse
05-08-2014, 01:25 PM
My husband is the opposite. I am very fortunate to get regular calls and rarely have spaces. I have one child leaving in Sept, so have been looking to fill the space. He keeps telling me not to take on too much work & to take it easier for a while. Lovely idea, but I don't think he realises that we actually need my money coming in :rolleyes:

If I were you, I would see the parents for Nov/Dec starters and mention that you are really looking to fill the space sooner than that. I would then say that you would normally charge a retainer of 50%, but if they were to sign contracts within the next week, you will reduce the retainer to 25%. They think they're getting a good deal and you have at least a bit of money coming in until they start.

smurfette
05-08-2014, 01:46 PM
My husband is the opposite. I am very fortunate to get regular calls and rarely have spaces. I have one child leaving in Sept, so have been looking to fill the space. He keeps telling me not to take on too much work & to take it easier for a while. Lovely idea, but I don't think he realises that we actually need my money coming in :rolleyes: If I were you, I would see the parents for Nov/Dec starters and mention that you are really looking to fill the space sooner than that. I would then say that you would normally charge a retainer of 50%, but if they were to sign contracts within the next week, you will reduce the retainer to 25%. They think they're getting a good deal and you have at least a bit of money coming in until they start.

To be fair I am usually busy enough never have problem filling the space Just sometimes not exactly when I need it then we both have a habit of panicking!

He is very good usually I have recently dropped a day a week and he was fully supportive of this just I guess if I am only working four days need to be full those days! I will be down more than 500 euros a week losing this little one, plus I have one one day a week going to school in sept who won't come any more and another one day a week who will be stopping soon as mum on maternity

smurfette
05-08-2014, 06:28 PM
Met dec lady this pm as they are off on hols tomorrow, lovely people seem keen., but it's dec!! Meeting a November lady tomorrow evening and have an immediate start if she goes back to work in pipeline and Poss twins afternoons only from sept so will have to see what pans out,

smurfette
06-08-2014, 01:31 PM
Met dec lady this pm as they are off on hols tomorrow, lovely people seem keen., but it's dec!! Meeting a November lady tomorrow evening and have an immediate start if she goes back to work in pipeline and Poss twins afternoons only from sept so will have to see what pans out,
Annddd she wants to sign up yay!! But it's dec.....

Bumble Beez
06-08-2014, 02:12 PM
Annddd she wants to sign up yay!! But it's dec.....

Yippee...well done you :)
Scary thought tho...December isn't far off now :panic:

Sarah x

smurfette
06-08-2014, 02:40 PM
Yippee...well done you :) Scary thought tho...December isn't far off now :panic: Sarah x

Don't know what to do.. I am losing 135 a week from the little man who is leaving, 40 a week from
The one going to school and 45 when the other one leaves when they find an au pair .. Just wrote it down and is scary..
It's 16 weeks

hectors house
06-08-2014, 03:58 PM
Could you do some adverts advertising short term spaces - Opportunity for parents to attend a course, have their hair done, do some early Xmas shopping without having to take a toddler with them? Or don't know how long your school settling in periods are in Sept - ours are part time til half term, maybe someone could want some help with that - nightmare for working parents where children have been at Nursery to suddenly find they can't work all day.