PDA

View Full Version : Little ones sleeping on sleep mats

smurfette
04-08-2014, 10:44 PM
Most of the little ones I mind are coming to 2.5 and getting too big for the travel cots and buggies so thinking I will move them to mats

If I stay with them Til they go to sleep and then put a monitor on in playroom (separated from sitting room where I will be just by hallway) will that be ok? Also any tips for getting them to settle on mats ?! Thanks !

Elkie Mawdsley
05-08-2014, 06:19 AM
My mindee is 2 and sleeps very well on a mat - he was used to it at the nursery he went to before me though so that helped. Perhaps you could show them the mats the day before you intend to use them and talk about how grown up they are to use etc. Try and stick to the same pre nap routine you do already so they understand it is still nap time on the mats.

I sit in the lounge while my mindew is sleeping with the monitor on. I usually check again when he is asleep and again every 30 mins just for my own sanity.

smurfette
05-08-2014, 06:29 PM
Thanks for reply .. Do u stay with them Til they go to sleep? I took out spare travel cot today and left the mattress out so might give it a bash next week

Maza
05-08-2014, 08:04 PM
I have one mindee who sleeps on a mat. I don't stay with him until he falls asleep, but he is a good sleeper and drops off fairly quickly. Obviously you really need to risk asses the room that they are in. I live in a flat and so I am always very close to his bedroom door anyway and I am sure I would hear if he was up to mischief. Occasionally he will roll off his mat on purpose and 'loll' around on the carpet next to it but I just go in and ask him to lie on his mat where it is 'comfy and warm' and bless him he does. When he wakes, if I don't hear him stirring and go in straight away he will either call my name or have a little cry until I go to him. Would you be happy for your little ones to get up and come and find you when they wake or do you want them to stay put until you get them? You might have to train them up to do it which way you feel is best for your setting. Mine sleeps in y room which is very calming and has no toys or other distractions. x