PDA

View Full Version : resources - I need more but what to get.

Elkie Mawdsley
04-08-2014, 07:51 AM
Hi all.

I have the following
Paints
Crayons
Paper
Card
Feathers
Multi coloured lolipop sticks
Cars
Tractors
Diggers
Dinosaurs
Farm animals
Kitchen
Books
Shapesorter

But I really need to add some more items for variation.

I would like some puzzles, more pretend play things like irons, kettles etc, train sets, garages, etc.

Anything else you can think of?

tess1981
04-08-2014, 08:02 AM
A dress up box with children dress up outfits adult size clothes shoes bags necklaces bangles hats scarves etc is always a winner

Vikki5531
04-08-2014, 08:15 AM
A dress up box with children dress up outfits adult size clothes shoes bags necklaces bangles hats scarves etc is always a winner

Yes this is a good idea! My Development Officer recommended that rather than using dress up costumes, to use real clothes so children can use their imagination and become who they want to be. I'm going to get some fabric and let them decide xx

Mouse
04-08-2014, 08:45 AM
I have way too many resources to get out all at once, so I try to make sure I have something out under the following headings (with just a few examples):

Small world play (Happyland, Little People, farm, dolls house)

Role play (dressing up, dolls, kitchen stuff, tools, vet, doctor, office, shop)

Construction (duplo, mega blocks, K'nex, sticklebricks)

Themed treasure basket (wooden, metal, seasonal,, colour)

Puzzles (jigsaws, shape sorters, sorting puzzles)

Investigation (magnetic things, magnifying glasses, lightbox)

Vehicles (cars, trains, wooden vehicles)

Books

Mark making (white board, black board, aquadraw, clipboards)

Electronic (anything with batteries and buttons)

Natural resources (pinecones, shells, corks, conkers)

I like to think in terms of categories as it's easier to spot which areas need more resources and which have plenty :thumbsup:

Elkie Mawdsley
04-08-2014, 10:03 AM
Thanks everyone.

The real clothes idea is great as it will let their imagination run wild :)

Also, suggestion of putting into categories is a great way to think about them.

:)

Maza
04-08-2014, 11:27 AM
Construction kits, messy play stuff - shaving foam, stuff to make playdough with etc. Outdoor things - balls, hoops etc.
Make sure you check out charity shops and car boot sales - I rarely buy anything new. Also, save egg boxes, yogurt pots, tin foil tubes etc as the kids love to paint 3D as well as 2D. x

hectors house
04-08-2014, 01:52 PM
Look round charity shops for interesting objects made of different materials and make a treasure basket - mine has in 3 different elephants (plastic squeaky, wooden, small stone), metal springy egg cups, bath lily sponge thing, natural sponge, bubble wrap, florist cellophane, material from a space blanket, different textured materials, small metal or wooden bowls or boxes, tub of buttons, lavender bags - it's not out today so that's as much as I can remember!

watford wizz
04-08-2014, 05:22 PM
Check out damaged loads at b and q for real bricks, planks of wood, gravel, stones, pebbles, lengths of rope and chain, buckets, paint pots large brushes, lengths of pipe, large locks and keys x